Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dometic RM2611 Recurring Check Light

Hi all,
Picked up a used unit. Cools down real nice and fast no problem(running on gas!!). After it cools down though(usually same day), the check light comes on and no more cooling. You can cycle the power and limp for a few days but eventually it won't work.

A recent long weekend I was able to survive for about 3 days by checking it every few hours and cycling power but by Sunday, the check light would come on almost immediately.

I don't believe it's the flame system. When it's running, I can sit there and blow out the flame repeatedly and it relights immediately. The one time I was standing at the access panel when it failed, the flame was on and it didn't try to respark or anything, it just shut down. When it did shut down, there was a noticeable "click".

I'm guessing a sensor is tripping but I don't know which one. There was a special pamphlet that came with the unit that was titled something like "what to do about recurring check-light" but somehow between packing for a trip and such, I misplaced it. I know it's around here but if anyone knows where there might be one online, please let me know.

I have multi-meter and such. Is there a way to test which sensor caused the shutdown?

I have the unit half-way pulled out so I can see up the back of it. It doesn't look dirty or anything. I'm going to fire it up this afternoon to see if it's freezing up ice on the back or something.

So many questions...very few clues.
JB
Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My first guess is the igniter may be just a bit too far from the burner to spark and light the flame. That is a physical reason. Try moving the tip of the igniter a bit closer. Once the burner has been on for a period of time the physical dimensions in the burner area may have increased to the point that the igniter can't jump the gap.

A weak igniter coil could also be the problem.

I think the reason you can blow the flame out and it come right back on is the gas is ignited by the heat still in the burner rather than the igniter sparking

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Boy I really don't think it's either the igniter or the flame sensor. When it's hot and I blow it out, the igniter clearly sparks like I would expect.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
At the back of your Ref. is there a gas pressure gage? If yes it should read 11. While the flame is on and you are watching it have someone turn on all the burners on the stove and the gas to the hot water heater. The gas pressure should remain the same. If low gas pressure shuts it down check the regulator on your bottles.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

No, no gauge. I did try turning on other gas appliances and it had no affect on the fridge. I tried things like turning off the gas while the fridge was burning and the igniter clicked until I turned the gas back on. I doubt that it's a gas supply problem.

In the service manual, here are the possible causes with my notes:

DC Volts- Tested 12.1 V
Wiring - ??
LP Gas - Seems to be plenty of gas
Manual Gas Valve - burns for quite a while before shutting off suddenly
Solenoid - Possibly faulty and shutting down on me?
Orifice - Again, burns really well for long time.
Burner - same.
Lower Circuit Board - I've seem some googlage that suggests there were some faulty units out there and to replace with aftermarket.
Thermocouple - If faulty, I'd expect the igniter to spark.

Just throwing out ideas.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
We had a problem with our Dometic a couple of years ago. It was like it was haunted. It would flip from elec to gas, turn off whenever it decided. After talking with some folks they said it sounded like we had a lightning strike close to the trailer and it took out the control board. I replaced the board with a "dinosaur' board and have not had a problem since. After thinking back we did have a strike within a few yards of the trailer.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Since it will work for some time and then shut off the gas but continue to ignite I would remove and reinstall all the connectors relating to the gas valve. Do this at each end of each wire to insure there is a good clean connection.

Next time it fails try and read the voltage at the gas valve to make sure it is being commanded to open. If you see voltage at the gas valve try to light the burner with a match even if the igniter is clicking. If it lights look closely at just where the spark is contacting the burner to make sure it is close to one of the burner holes and not just striking the burner body removed from the gas.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I've been having a similar experience with my Dometic RM2607 for over a year although it doesn't flash the Check light as often. I can have it on at home and it will stay on for months but when I go on a trip, it will work fie for the first couple of days and then it will stop working. I was told by an RV tech. that I need a new fridge and I just can't bring myself to buy a new one at the current prices they're running. Maybe I'll try the new circuit board route.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I found this on a google search;

I have a 1995 National RV with a Dometic RM2611 I changed the motherboard out with a Dinosaur Electronics Micro P-711 which solved my check light problem and the worked nicely. I took the MH up to Canada for 3 weeks, and the kept things frozen, and the refrigerator kept things nice and cold

Might be the board!!!!

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks for the info Garry. Do you have any contact info for the company you got yours from? I doubt its the same one for the RM2607 but maybe.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sorry I haven't had the problem (yet) I was looking for a Dometic manual from one of my old bookmarks & the site no longer exist. I should have downloaded when I had the chance.

The quote I put in was from a google search on another problem and just came across it. Sounded like it could help the OP so I copied & paste.

Lots of folks sell the Dino boards do a google search on the RM2607 and they will pop up.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Similar Problem

I had the same problem with our Dometic Fridge. I think ours is an S1631, I forget now. The Dinosaur Electronics Micro P-711 is the one that fits ours too and it solved the problem. I spent a lot of time doing voltage tests etc. and ended up replacing the board. I found one at an online site for about $100. Worked for me.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I think I'm going to order a board for it. I figure $100 won't even get me in the door at the rv repair place.

This line is from the product description: "Improved thermocouple circuit to eliminate recurring check light problem."

I'm thinking the problem is circuit related.

MICRO P-711 : A.S.A.P.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post again after I replace the board.

JB
Old 08-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

As promised, I'm following up on this. It appears for now that replacing the board did the trick. Hopefully it will keep working as we are headed to the Northwoods next weekend.

Replacing the board was not too difficult but I recommend mapping out the wires from the old board and where they went to originally. This helped map them to the new board.

cheers
JB
Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
I have mid 90's era Dometic fefrigerators in both my '73 Overlander and '83 Sovereign. The first is a 2800 series 3-way and the second is a 2807 two way. Both units would seem to forget they were plugged into shore power (120v ac) and the check light would come on. After checking supply voltage, replacing the outlet, scratching my head and a few choice words, I ordered a Dinosaur Electronics Micro P-711 for both units and solved the problem. They are easy to install, took me about 1 hour for each.
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Yep, I had about 30 minutes into mine. 25 minutes of thinking and 5 minutes of doing.

I find that the more I think, the less I have to work. Words to live by.

As of this morning, it's still working fine.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm getting ready to order one of these replacement boards since all of you have had such success with them. I've not worked on my Dometic and would like to know the level of difficulty involved with its replacement. I know I'll need to pull it out of the cabinet. What else is involved?

Thanks.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Belle Fourche , South Dakota
There is no need to pull the refrigerator out. Board replacement is done from the outside access door.

Rick
310astream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That part's good to hear but where on the backside is the board because I have a newer fridge in an older Airstream and the only access door I have only allows access to the area just about the middle height and a little lower of the fridge?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Well I guess either you see the board or you don't so we can't answer that. I pulled my fridge this weekend for a wiring project (unrelated to the board problem). It pretty much slid right out. I had to remove 2 panels on the top and bottom front of the fridge to expose the screws holding the fridge in the cabinet.

As for replacing the board level of difficulty..this is what I did.

1) Draw the old board and make a note of where each wire attached to it goes. I wouldn't bother trying to label them. Labels fall off and get in the way. If you have that drawing, no missing labels can screw you up.
2) Now below that drawing draw the new board.
3) Now draw lines between the old board wire-tabs and the new ones. Most will be painfully obvious but some might be a little tricky.

You might be able to google up the schematic for your new Dinasaur board so you can look at it before you order it.

Also - The first thing I recommend is to somehow cut the power to the unit. Either by removing the fuse or removing the hot power first and isolating it with some electric tape or something. Don't forget about the AC!!! On my unit, that was a matter of removing a plug.

I should point out that I'm not a professional or expert so please use this advice sparingly.

ymmv
cheers
JB