Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Dometic RM100 not working

I have a 77 Soverign I recently purchased. Previous owners stated the refrig no longer works. Are there any checks I can do on the appliance before I consider a replacement? Are there any replacements available that fit in the same space?

Thank you

Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The RM2820 is a popular replacement for that original model.

Typically, it seems that with age, often the ammonia cooling system develops a leak. The entire cooling system can be bought from a few online suppliers, thus making the refer operate like new.

Of course, you need to make your own decision if the overall condition of the refer warrants making the investment in renewing the innards. If the interior is clean, is there any apparent rust on any of the visible components?

Last time I looked, it was somewhat less than half the cost of an entirely new refer.

Good luck with your project, and if you decide to buy a new one, please offer the RM100 to members here; there may well be someone in your part of the world that wants to put it back in operating condition.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
The RM 100 in my 77 has control knobs on the inside bottom of the fridge. Maybe the control that controls Off, Gas, 12V & Elec settings has failed?? Maybe the 110 receptacle that the fridge is plugged in to has failed? See if the gas burner will light. There is a metal cover held in by 2 screws that protects the burner. Remove the cover and vacuum out all the rust and debris that collects in the bottom just below the burner tube and the tube itself, being careful not to damage the burner. Don't even try lighting the gas with the push knob piezo inside the fridge. You will be there forever. I light mine from outside the cabinet with a long tipped lighter. If it lights and stays lit with a blue flame, let it run for a few hours and see if the fridge starts to cool. If not, the amonia may have leaked out. The electrical heating elements have been known to fail and I'm told can be replaced. But you need to see if it will work on gas only to determine that. I dread the thought of having to replace mine one day. Knock on wood it still works well. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself as I'm leaving for a 23 day trip in 1 week)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do your controls look like this? I've also shown how to light it from the back side.
Make sure it is plugged in to 120 volts AC and has power. If it uses 12 volts, that needs to be present as well.
There is an electric heating element in a tube in the back. If you put it in the electric mode. Making certain you have 120 volt power. After a few hours the cooling unit (the funny looking piping system on the back) should feel warm. If it does not get warm; the heating element may be bad; it is easy to replace.

Even if your model doesn't look like this. There are a number of things you can check to determine if it will work. There is help here. I was successful in getting mine to work; the PO was going to trash it.
There is a web site that you may be able to get a manual. www.gasrefrigeration.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398-R.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	127101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0406R.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	830.6 KB
ID:	127102  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408R.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	789.6 KB
ID:	127103  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My wife said no to fixing the old refrigerator because if it were fixed it'd still be old. It's just as much work to re-install the old refrigerator as it is to install a new one. I kind of hate to fix a trailer all up and use old components. So far the only component I haven't replaced is the 12 volt water pump. The PO had replaced the 12 volt converter before I bought the trailer. I may still replace those two items with new just to start with all new.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
It's just as much work to re-install the old refrigerator as it is to install a new one.
This is true. However for some folks, it's a question of budget...
Old 04-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
This is true. However for some folks, it's a question of budget...

$1 a day = new refrigerator every 3 years:-) Seems cheap enough . . .
Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
Splitrock:

You have pretty much gutted and replaced everything on your trailer. If I were doing the same I would probably replace everything with new too. That said, some of these old trailers are in better shape than others and the appliances may still be salvageable with a minor fix. The RM100 has its disadvantages...you have to get on your knees to work the controls inside the box instead of today's modern push button controls outside the box. Mine has no electric light. There is a battery powered box that mounts on the side with a spring, but my spring long since broke/disappeared. I guess it is a question of budget.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
$$$$$

Is that $1.00 a day for every day it is used? 14 to 30 days a year makes it between $60.00 and $30.00 a day. I would use the old one for as long as it lasts.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
A buck a day is $365 a year. That's not a budget buster for too many people I know. I save all my pocket change in a jar and it adds up to more than a buck a day.

The original refrigerator in my antique trailer cooled the freezer section on 120 volt electric but not the refrigerator section. That's not good. I didn't care if it worked on gas. Didn't even try it. My wife didn't like it . . . so it's out:-) The golden rule = she with the gold rules.

Neither of us liked the cabinets, beds, or the sofas. They're all out. The original wall panels will be handy for templates.

The last motorhome I bought, everything worked good. It wasn't as old as this Airscream. Right after the first big trip I took with the motorhome I spun the main bearings. I got to put in a new crate engine. I'm very unlucky with toys.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I'd try to run it on electric first, just to verify that amonia is still in it. As described by others, make sure it is getting power and the back is getting warm. If not, replace the heating element and go from there. If you get it working we can discuss gas operation after that.

TG, I like that little flap you have for manually lighting the burner from outside. I use the piezo and if it hasn't been run on gas you can be waiting a while for it to fire up.

Christopher
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
I like that flap too. Mine does not have it.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
A two way refrigerator runs off of propane or electricity and costs approximately twice as much as an electric only refrigerator. If you only camp in a campground where elctricity is always available, you may nor need the propane capability. Just something to consider.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
I have a 1972 Argosy with I believe has the orginal Dometicometic refrigerator and the inside looks as posted by T.G. Twinkie .
Now I did notice in the fuse box there were a few fuses missing and I have replaced them . I have the Argosy pluged in to a land line and have set the control knob to Electric and shut off the side for propane . Still nothing ? before removing the refrigerator should I replace the heating element??? and if so were can one be purchased ?.
Also not know much about Airstreams do I have to remove the refrigerator to replace the heating element . Also is there any thing elese I can do before the purchase. I am stumped and can use any help out their.
Thanks George

Tags
dometic