Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bible Hill , Nova Scotia
Dometic RM 80 a

Greetings, I am new to the forums. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and own a 1973 Safari Land Yacht 23' rear bath, twin BR.

My Dometic RM 80 (a) is the original and has given many years of great service. My father owned this trailer from 1982 to 1996 and I have been the owner since then.

The cooling unit is gone in the fridge. I have cleaned the flu, replaced the AC element, cleaned the nozzle, etc, and both gas and elec produce lots of heat. However there is no circ and there is yellow residue in the boiler area, so I am pretty sure I need a new coil or a new firdge. The latter appears to be cheaper....

Anyway, I cannot find reference to the RM 80(a) anywhere on the net , including in Dometic's conversion chart. Any thoughts?
Thanks
George

Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bible Hill , Nova Scotia
Further to my first post, my RM 80 (a) reefer is from the made in Sweden years of ||Dometic , and may have had a N. American equivalent?? Anyone?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
In 1975 the mid size Airstreams had an RM-67 refrigerator which as a short unit with a small freezer inside the main compartment. You can get rebuilt cooling units for these still. ATCO America - Home Page

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Refurbed Fridge

Hi George Welcome to the forums. I too am a fellow Canuck living in Ontario. A few years back while working at an RV dealership we sent cooling units to New Brunswick for rebuilding. I will try tomorrow to get the phone number and address for you. It is a much cheaper option to rebuild the cooling unit than replacing the entire fridge. It will also allow you to keep the A/S all original. It takes about an hour or so to remove the cooling unit from the fridge. It will take a bit longer to pull the fridge because Airstream secures the fridge to the exterior skin with mounting plates that are behind the interior walls and cabinets. You will ahev to remove the cabinet above the fridge and the wall in front of the fridge to remove these plates. The one drawback is that the warranty on the reconditioned cooling unit only covers the part and not the labour to remove the fridge and the unit from the fridge. I hope this information helps you and I will get back to you with the rest of the information.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bible Hill , Nova Scotia
Thanks Chris

Thanks for the effort. Perhaps I can replace the unit. but on the internet they seem more expensive ($600-700)than a fridge. Ours is just counter height. My uncle (74 Overlander) had his unit replaced replaced and the results were less than satisfactory, whatever the reason. His reefer is full length.
Cheers
George
Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
George I called my old boss and he told me the place in N.B. is no longer doing cooling units. Sorry I can't help.