Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #1
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Dometic RM 2662 leaking yellow fluid

We began hearing a "sizzling" type of sound coming from our refrigerator tonight, a Dometic RM 2662 in 2004 Classic. Traced the sound to rear of the refrig when we open the outside panel and could also see what appears to be a yellow fluid leaking. I could not see the exact source of the sound, but definitely coming from the refrige. My wife thought she could smell wiring, but I could not. We have turned the unit off, and would appreciate anyone's opinion on what could possibly cause the noise and apparent loss of fluid. The unit was running on AC, and had been working great. I did an online search of our model and discovered there was a recall for model and serial number that involved a fatigue crack in the boiler tube. Also, we are currently in Phoenix and would need to have it looked at, would appreciate any recommendations for service.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That's a classic ammonia system refrigerant leak. Sigh. Bad news.

There are lots of other threads on the forums with possible repair/ replace scenarios.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
We began hearing a "sizzling" type of sound coming from our refrigerator tonight, a Dometic RM 2662 in 2004 Classic. Traced the sound to rear of the refrig when we open the outside panel and could also see what appears to be a yellow fluid leaking. I could not see the exact source of the sound, but definitely coming from the refrige. My wife thought she could smell wiring, but I could not. We have turned the unit off, and would appreciate anyone's opinion on what could possibly cause the noise and apparent loss of fluid. The unit was running on AC, and had been working great. I did an online search of our model and discovered there was a recall for model and serial number that involved a fatigue crack in the boiler tube. Also, we are currently in Phoenix and would need to have it looked at, would appreciate any recommendations for service.
Thanks
I just went through this with my Dometic RM2862 and I'm 99% sure yours is a bad cooling unit and needs to be replaced.

You can either keep the refrig and replace the cooling unit or replace the entire refrigerator. Replacing the cooling unit is a labor intensive job (3-4 hours), and may end up costing as much as a new refrig in the long run if you are paying somebody to do the work. If you do this, you're still stuck with a 10 year old refrigerator that may need service again at some point on the control board or somewhere else. If you replace just the cooling unit and have to replace it again under warranty, it generally doesn't cover the labor to remove and reinstall the replacement. This can amount to hundreds of dollars in additional labor costs.

If you replace the entire refrig with a new one, it will cost you about $500 more than a new cooling unit, but you have all new components all covered under warranty for two years. It only takes about an hour to install a new frig so your labor costs are reduced substantially too.

I think the only way replacing just the cooling unit would pay would be if you do the work yourself. I have done this before on a smaller refrig and it was a bit of work, and I did not have to remove the refrig like you would have to do on the larger refrigerators in an Airstream.

I contacted a local mobile RV service who is an authorized Dometic service person, and he was able to get a new replacement DM2862 from his distributor and just charge me the sale price that Camping World has them for right now plus freight. He will do the install in the trailer at my home for his $85/hour labor rate so I'm happy with this.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Replaced refrig

We are on the road, currently in Phoenix, when the refrig went down. A little research convinced us to replace the unit. We went with the Dometic 3762, as it fits the opening for the 2662 and actually gives an additional 1 cu ft of space. Camping World had one in stock and gave us the name of a serviceman that would install on site. The old refrig is out and the new one in, up an running in about 1 1/2 hours total time.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
We are on the road, currently in Phoenix, when the refrig went down. A little research convinced us to replace the unit. We went with the Dometic 3762, as it fits the opening for the 2662 and actually gives an additional 1 cu ft of space. Camping World had one in stock and gave us the name of a serviceman that would install on site. The old refrig is out and the new one in, up an running in about 1 1/2 hours total time.
Glad this worked out so smoothly for you!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Marysville , Washington
I have a Airstream Land Yacht. There was a recall on the refrigerator. It was replaced.

2004 AIRSTREAM LAND YACHT Recalls, Defects, Problems & Troubleshooting
Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I went through the same thing. I found a man in Arkansas who will R & & your cooling unit. IIRC the cost was $650+-. He replaces all of the tubing that corrodes and leaks with better designed tubing and more anticorrosion fluid in the gas mix. I asked him if he has many come backs and he said he has been in business 19 years and has never had a return. It has been 16 months and mine is still working better than new. Here are his info:

RV Cool-Refrigerator Repair
60 Hwy 287
Greenbriar, AR
800 515 6823
wick /stacey@rvcool.com
Wicks/Stacey
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Dometic Evaporator Fan Greater inside Cooling Deluxe Model - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Lots of good info on his site.