Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Dometic RM 100 120/propane fridge questions(thermostat setting plus fan upgrade)

So I'm slowly bringing my RV back into livable condition after picking it up and since I am waiting on stuff for my engine swap I started working on the accessories. The AC is now working, shore power is good, working on making sliders for the generator, and now I'm working on the fridge.

I tested the heating element and it actually tested about right with the ohm meter but didnt heat up. I pulled it out(which was a pain and part of it broke off) and it turned out it was exploded on the end but had ever so slightly shorted out and was giving a nice reading. That said, I got the propane working this morning and I hear it gurgling ever so slightly and the coils are hot but I have a couple issues.

One, I cant adjust the gas thermostat. It either moves to 7 or off. Is 7 the coolest setting? If so that is fine for now. So long as the burner is on the fridge is cooling I'm guessing. Has anyone ever had this issue with a stuck thermostat? Does it actually vary the output or is it an off/on type of burner? I'm at the point if I can't fix it reasonably I'll probably replace the fridge with a newer unit.

Secondly, what do you guys use for fan upgrades? I have a couple small fans that I thought about mounting on the big cast coils but I figure a better solution would be to pull the fridge out and mount something in the vent on the top that will actually pull air out of the top of the RV. If so, do you use a temp switch or just an always on when the fridge is on setup?

Last question, what have you guys used to tap out the remains of an old heating element?
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I was thinking about this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B002N5YDG2

But I wanted to put the largest diameter fan possible so it wouldnt have to turn as fast.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I forgot to mention I blew everything out with air and went ahead and sat those small 80mm fans on top of the cast coils blowing up. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see some temperature drops. Not holding my breath though.

Now maybe I can find a fridge off someone that is doing a remodel on their 2000's RV
Old 08-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You may not need the fans. The older trailers were more effective at using convection. Usually a couple small computer fans is enough to get the air flowing. It is something else to use power if you boondock.

Perry.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Well it ran all day today and the inside of the freezer was 130 degrees so I turned it off. I took the hood off the top and the coils were clean. It makes gurgling sounds so I feel like it has ammonia and I never smelled any.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the cooling unit is bad then. I think you are wiping a dead horse. Even with it hot outside it should cool down.

Perry
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Yup, pretty sure it's dead. I've been hunting Craigslist for a replacement
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I found someone with an RM 2800 that supposedly works for 200. It looks brand new. It is 2 inches taller than mine but basically the same otherwise. I plan on reworking that cabinet anyway so 2 inches would really be a problem. Is there a quick way to test if they are working? A standard metric? Say I bring a cord to hook the heater in directly to 120 and let it sit an hour or so should I get a measurable change in temperature?
Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Have you checked your gas pressure? If your regulator is bad the fridge is the appliance most affected. Did all sorts of diagnostics on my fridge and the regulator turned out to be the trouble.

You can make a manometer out of 1/4" (?) ID tubing zip tied to a scrap of wood, remove a burner from the stove and put the tube on that burner's nipple on the stove's manifold.

If your cooling unit is bad, you can buy remanufactured ones and install that in your existing fridge. Personally I think that is the way to go since you don't have to worry about the fit of another model.

I am also fascinated by the RM100 in that it draws no power at all when running on gas. Ancient technology get the perfect boonodcking fridge.

One comment on your fan... I installed a 12 volt cooling fan for a PC. It is mounted at a level just above the outside access panel. The only time I feel it needs to be run is on 90 degree days when the trailer is in the full sun. Other than that, a fan really shouldn't be necessary.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
The rv mechanic where I store my Airstream said the RM100 is a great refrigerator and if the cooling unit ever goes bad to replace it. Never trash that refrigerator.

I'm in the desert and my RM100 will keep cold in 110 degree heat all day long. It does take a day for it to cool down in the heat but the trick is to leave the access door open or off completely to increase the airflow. No fan here
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I looked for RM100 cooling units and no one seems to make them anymore. That said I bought a new heating element that is in route. If it cools with the heating element I'll check out the regulator issue. I ordered it before I got the propane working. The flame on the rm100 stays constant and is pretty small. I could take a picture I guess. It is about 100 degrees here most days and was 110 inside of the RV without the AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Have you checked your gas pressure? If your regulator is bad the fridge is the appliance most affected. Did all sorts of diagnostics on my fridge and the regulator turned out to be the trouble.

You can make a manometer out of 1/4" (?) ID tubing zip tied to a scrap of wood, remove a burner from the stove and put the tube on that burner's nipple on the stove's manifold.

If your cooling unit is bad, you can buy remanufactured ones and install that in your existing fridge. Personally I think that is the way to go since you don't have to worry about the fit of another model.

I am also fascinated by the RM100 in that it draws no power at all when running on gas. Ancient technology get the perfect boonodcking fridge.

One comment on your fan... I installed a 12 volt cooling fan for a PC. It is mounted at a level just above the outside access panel. The only time I feel it needs to be run is on 90 degree days when the trailer is in the full sun. Other than that, a fan really shouldn't be necessary.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
A photo of the flame wouldn't help me. I know what it looks like when first lit, and it isn't very large. Not sure what it throttles back to when cold. I have to assume it throttles back since you light it manually and there is no way for the fridge to relight itself.

I know that new cooling units are no longer available but there was a company that sold rebuilt ones. Can't remember the name, and it was years ago that I had looked those up.

You are correct though, that if it works on electric, it should work on gas. You will want to look some information up on reinstalling the element. I've never done it but understand the position needs to be just right. Might be some final tweaking after you get it in and let it cool down.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are companies that rebuild them.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Pocahontas , Iowa
Two years ago when we got our 72 overlander, the people we bought it from said everything worked the last time they used it. Right??? Anyway, our refridgerator didn't work. I read a thread on what to try before getting a new one. One of the things to try was...... take the fridge out. Turn is upside down for 24 hours. give a little shake, turn it back over, hook it up. Well as strange as it sounds it has worked since. Don't know why, don't know how, and I don't care. It has worked for 2 years now. Cheap fix if it works for you.
dianalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianalynn View Post
Two years ago when we got our 72 overlander, the people we bought it from said everything worked the last time they used it. Right??? Anyway, our refridgerator didn't work. I read a thread on what to try before getting a new one. One of the things to try was...... take the fridge out. Turn is upside down for 24 hours. give a little shake, turn it back over, hook it up. Well as strange as it sounds it has worked since. Don't know why, don't know how, and I don't care. It has worked for 2 years now. Cheap fix if it works for you.
If it doesn't work after the heating element I'll give that a try. I haven't found anyone that still rebuilds these and even if I did a replacement would be cheaper and ours isn't that pretty.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do some searches under RV salvage. There are places that buy new old stock and also pull stuff out of old trailers and resell it.

Perry