Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I also have a broken door shelf. What do you expect from a $1200. appliance? How about needing accessory fans for the interior box and vent compartment. Don't get me started. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Never needed fans for the fridge or had a shelf break, I also never overload either the fridge or the shelves. Just by looking at the shelf you can tell not to put too much weight on it. Sometimes we need to help ourselves by using common sense and not blame everything on someone else. Yea, the fridges could be more substantial, but they are what they are. Be aware! Jim

Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I also have had pieces break but I imagine they try to keep weight down and cost of construction.
Mine needs two $60.00 door handles that can't cost more than $5.00 to manufacture.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberrobw View Post
I agree that Dometic rips you off royally for plastic replacement parts. The two plastic spring castings which provide the spring tension which allows the freezer door to shut cost me $23.38 each and a $25.00 shipping charger for a total of $74.68 for two small plastic parts.

What a total rip off.

Is there a better place to get refrigerator parts for Dometic?

Thanks
Google is your friend. if you google dometic freezer door springs, both the springs and carriers come up.... carriers cost me about $8 each and i was able to order them through my local AS dealer's parts department. a real pain to install depending upon the year of your refrigerator, mine was before they added screws to the bottom of the door, but there is a pretty helpful online video to do the installation. I also detailed it in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ngs-89138.html

Hope this is helpful, although I realize that you have probably already made the repair with the more expensive Dometic parts. But if the spring carriers broke once, they may break again.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I had a small piece of the shelf break off, but so far so good otherwise. It sure appears the plastic is flimsy and I've always treated it tenderly.

But that seems par for the course for Dometic. Most of my RV trouble over the years centers around the Dometic nameplate. If you like the plastic on the refrigerator interior, you'll love the plastic AC shroud which rots quickly in sunlight.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I had a small piece of the shelf break off, but so far so good otherwise. It sure appears the plastic is flimsy and I've always treated it tenderly.

But that seems par for the course for Dometic. Most of my RV trouble over the years centers around the Dometic nameplate. If you like the plastic on the refrigerator interior, you'll love the plastic AC shroud which rots quickly in sunlight.
OMHO, but I think plastic milk bottles are stronger. I realize they are not mass produced, but still, the refer in my kitchen cost 1/3 of the one in the AS, is at least twice the size, and put together 10 times better. Now somebody tell me I'm compairing apples and oranges. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I too have had numerous issues with the quality of the plastic parts. I went through a number of 2551 models for clients and the spring that keeps the freezer door shut has been repaired over and over and over. The plastic door shelve seem to work fine until you go to adjust them or remove them for cleaning, it is then they tend to snap in strange ways. The frustration over fixing the freezer door hinge has lead me to stop using the brand mentioned and switch over to Norcold. I find their products to be of better quality. I always thought if Wally chose to use it, it must be good. I think somethings have changed for not the better...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
I received my "gold-plated" spring castings for my frig freezer door. Does anybody have any installation tricks for ensuring the spring tension is such that the freezer door springs shut once opened? It's a little tricky getting the spring tension.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I received my "gold-plated" spring castings for my frig freezer door. Does anybody have any installation tricks for ensuring the spring tension is such that the freezer door springs shut once opened? It's a little tricky getting the spring tension.

Thanks!
See Post #18.

I spent a couple of hours messing with it and finally when i put the opposite side in first it all came together. The video I saw online made it appear that you could use a small screwdriver to turn the spring holder little x shaped plastic bar to increase tension, but I found you pretty much would need to have three hands to do that. Mostly (IMO) it's just a matter of starting to insert one of the carriers at such an angle that it will have enough tension and it will dictate the tension for the other.

it's not the easiest thing in the world to do... if Dometic wanted to improve one small thing, this would be it from my perspective.

Dana
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks so much for your pointers. When you say "opposite" side first, which is the opposite side. I was unable to locate the video you mention, do you have a link to that video readily available? If so great, if not don't worry about it.

I plan to tackle the job tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Again, thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
The RVPartsNow video is no longer on youtube, it appears that they closed their account. Sorry about that.

I had success after putting the right side spring carrier in first. That's your right hand side as you look at the freezer door.

You just have to experiment a little to see what the position of the door should be when you put the spring carrier in but mine worked when i was able to put the spring carrier in with the door as nearly closed as possible. If you have the door all the way down when you put the carrier in, it won't have enough tension to close it when you let go.

Pretty much this is a repair that goes right when you find just the right way to hold your mouth as my old VW repair boss used to say.

Good luck.

Dana
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Thanks so much for your pointers. When you say "opposite" side first, which is the opposite side. I was unable to locate the video you mention, do you have a link to that video readily available? If so great, if not don't worry about it.

I plan to tackle the job tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Again, thanks!

So, how went the battle of the difficult spring carrier?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Have any of you written to Dometic Customer Service about this? I did and was astonished. I guess my issue and those of the people I have installed these units in, is of very little consideration. The suggestion was "to replace the parts". Nothing else. Not even a link to their parts department...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
For some reason, unknown to me, businesses these days spend a lot of $$ to attract new customers but seem to forget about old customers. I'm retired now and pretty much on a fixed income. I worked my a**s off since I was 11 years old for every $. I carefully consider all spent. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740