Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Dometic Refrigerator techs HELP!

I have just framed out my refrigerator cabinet for my Dometic RV 2607.

I had it on level ground and ran it for a week and it worked great. I bought it used and I wanted to make sure this thing was running well. I turned it off a week ago and finished the cabinet framing for it. I put it in the frame and used a level on it. I hooked it up AC and DC and turned it on. The control panel would not allow it to go to AC. It keeps sending it to DC or turning on the check light. What is going on with the Electric part of the cooling. I want both gas and electric to work. I have not hooked up gas.

Brian
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am bringing this back to portal to see if I can get recommendation. I also need to make a correction. When I turn it on to auto it keeps going to gas when I have it hooked to AC. I ran my multimeter and the unit is getting DC and AC to it.

Brian
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm no expert on this fridge. Does it have a board? I don't know if the board is looking for A/C voltage or amperage. If it's looking for voltage and you have A/C to the board, I am not sure. If it is looking for current flow (amperage), maybe the A/C heating element is open (burned out)???? Just a theory, I don't have experience with that unit. I would think an ohmmeter should show high resistance across the element. If it shows infinite, I believe it's burned out.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Brian!

Your refrigerator just performed the same act that my 10 year old Dometic with AES did on my last trip in 2010. Based upon everything that I have read about these AES equipped RV refrigerators, the electronic circuit board that controls the energy selection is prone to unexpected failures -- in fact an enterprising entrepreneur has created the "Dinosaur Board" that is an aftermarket replacement for the Dometic factory board. I don't know with certainty that this is your problem, but it would be one of my primary suspects as it is on my coach.

Good luck finding the problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have been researching this and what I found out so far is from using my multimeter. I have DC and AC going into the board. I do not have AC going out to the heating element. Dometic service manual says check the fuses even if they do not look burned. I will do that tomorrow. If it is not the fuses the service manual says buy a new circuit board. I am hoping I am missing something because a new circuit board is over $100.00 not including shipping.

Thanks for the advice

Kevin did you go to the ralley at DuQuoin? We were in Anna for about two weeks and cruised up there. We were there when the 80 mile an hour winds hit. Blew my AC cover off. What storms you have in that neck of the woods. They were wild to say the least. I will be up there again in about a weeks. I think I will bring all my small engines that need to be fixed. Love the hourly rates on repairs. I also really like Anna's Vet. We had dog problems and he took care of the pup.

Brian
Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Kevin did you go to the ralley at DuQuoin? We were in Anna for about two weeks and cruised up there. We were there when the 80 mile an hour winds hit. Blew my AC cover off. What storms you have in that neck of the woods. They were wild to say the least.
Yes, I was in DuQuoin for the International, but rather than towing my trailer over, I commuted each day. I spent most of the afternoon and evening in DuQuoin on Monday when I made my presentation Argosy Trailers -- The First Generation. During the balance of the rally, I mostly attended the four-o'clocl social time at the VAC Shelter.

We have had one of the stormiest spring/summer season in quite some time. It seems like we are getting stronger storms with heavier rain -- and so many of our recent storms have included damaging straight-line winds. Thus far, we have only lost electrical service one for a period of about 72 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I will be up there again in about a weeks. I think I will bring all my small engines that need to be fixed. Love the hourly rates on repairs. I also really like Anna's Vet. We had dog problems and he took care of the pup.
When we lived in the Chicago suburbs, we would bring our lawn mowers to Anna for repairs and service. We always found that the repairs were done correctly the first time -- and at a significant savings over the shop rates in the city.

Meller-James has been my family's veternarian service for several decades (they are less than 2 miles from my family's farm). Over the years they have expanded their practice both in number of associates as well as the variety of animals that they treat. We first started using their service for our Polled Heford cattle, and more recently they have provided excellent care for my tiny toy Chihuahuas.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote