Originally Posted by wiegand01
I just want to put his out there for anyone who is puting off the refrigerator fix. My friend Steve, who is also a member in the forums, lost his trailer last year. It was another brand and allowed him to finally get his Airstream. It caught fire while he was hunting with his dog inside. The refrigerator model he had in the trailer is on the recall list. I don't have pictures but I think he has posted them somewhere in these forums. There wasn't any way to tell if the refrigerator was the cause, but with how anal (I mean meticulous) Steve is, thats a likely candidate of what went wrong. I just wanted to put this in here to try and push anyone to hurry up and not put yourself or your family at risk.
While the fridge is a possibility as the ignition source of the fire, the probabilities are very low....as in 'low double digits' as I was told by A 'big guy' at Dometic. And remember, the initial recall was for almost 1,000,000 units. 20-30 out of a million as almost insignificant......unless it's YOUR trailer that burns!
I have seen a lot more poor wiring jobs come out of RV factories compared with ZERO Dometic fires. I re-wired a guys entire trailer after the primary 12VDC power feed from the battery rubbed the insulation off and grounded itself to the frame, causing the 50 amp circuit breaker to fuse CLOSED, creating a perfect situation for burning insulation and a total loss. This was a result of poor strain relief and lack of wire loom insulation on assembly from the factory. 8' of his primary cable had the insulation melted off and welded itself to the frame, and one of the other cables got so hot that it melted right thru one of his hydraulic stabilizer lines.
If the owner was not there and smelled the burning electrical, and had the presence of mind to pull the battery terminals off , he would have surely lost his trailer.
I had a similar situation in a very expensive Country Coach MoHo. The main connection lug for the +12VDC had worked itself loose, creating a high resistance connection that melted the terminal block and almost caused a fire. Again, the owner had the presence of mind to realize there was a problem with his 12VDC system, and luckily he called me and I instructed him to hit all of his battery disconnect switched to kill the power.