Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #81

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just got the Airstream home from its winter storage. Alas, the extended recall has now claimed mine. Now to decide whether to drive 35 miles one way to the dealer or go to a SOB dealer 7 miles away.....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #82
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Just got the Airstream home from its winter storage. Alas, the extended recall has now claimed mine. Now to decide whether to drive 35 miles one way to the dealer or go to a SOB dealer 7 miles away.....

Jack
Jack,

This isn't an Airstream oddity, it is happening across a huge swath of RVs out there. If your SOB dealer has some competent techs, you can surely save yourself some fuel and go local. Authorized Dometic service centers are NOT allowed to discriminate!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #83

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Yeah Lew I do realize that. I'm just not sure if an SOB dealer will treat my A/S as kindly in the shop as my dealer who knows me and wants to keep me a happy customer. It's one thing when you are out of town on the road, but in this case I'm local to the SOB dealer.

I decided to pay the extra gas and go to the A/S dealer. He won't get to it until mid July but I'm busy here at work so we won't be out anywhere in that time frame. Thanks for your support on this.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I discovered this new extended recall on the rv.net forum, and alas...mine is affected. I set up an appoinment at my local AS dealer to have it taken care of. While it's there, I'm going to have the brakes inspected and bearings repacked. On the way, I will have my new Maxxis tires installed.

Here's some more information about the extended recall...

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8E032-1474.pdf

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...8E032-7012.pdf
Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Steve,
Looks like mine is as well.
Sky River? Let me know how they are. I've heard OK things but have never had them do any work.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #86

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We discovered that Lucy's Dometic refer came under the expanded recall. We were in Jacksonville at the time. The Airstream Dealer is about 80 miles from Jax. I called Dometic and they gave me a list of authorized repairmen in the Jax area. I found an authorized mobile repair guy in Green Cove Springs. He came to SuEllyn's Dad's yard and installed the kit for a $60.00 house call. He was done in less than 30 minutes.

At first I said "i an't gonna spend $60 to get it done" Then SuEllyn reminded me that I would spend about $40 in gas on the round trip to Gainesville and back to Jax, and hooking up for the trip and resetup in Daddy's yard would be a whole day's time. All of a sudden, a $60 truck charge was very reasonable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Steve,
Looks like mine is as well.
Sky River? Let me know how they are. I've heard OK things but have never had them do any work.
Dave
Hi Dave, Yep I'm taking it to Sky River. The person I spoke with (Ron?)hadn't heard about the extended recall yet, and kind of downplayed the issue. They are both an authorized AS repair place and authorized Dometic repair place. They have a bearing pack/brake inspection special for $85/axle.

I had work done with them before and was satisfied. They fixed the short in the brakes that Toscano RV couldn't figure out. Wayne's tire will do the tire install.

Steve
Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Hi Dave, Yep I'm taking it to Sky River. The person I spoke with (Ron?)hadn't heard about the extended recall yet, and kind of downplayed the issue. They are both an authorized AS repair place and authorized Dometic repair place. They have a bearing pack/brake inspection special for $85/axle.

I had work done with them before and was satisfied. They fixed the short in the brakes that Toscano RV couldn't figure out. Wayne's tire will do the tire install.

Steve
Thanks Steve, good to know.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
Dometic Refrigerator Fire

I just want to put his out there for anyone who is puting off the refrigerator fix. My friend Steve, who is also a member in the forums, lost his trailer last year. It was another brand and allowed him to finally get his Airstream. It caught fire while he was hunting with his dog inside. The refrigerator model he had in the trailer is on the recall list. I don't have pictures but I think he has posted them somewhere in these forums. There wasn't any way to tell if the refrigerator was the cause, but with how anal (I mean meticulous) Steve is, thats a likely candidate of what went wrong. I just wanted to put this in here to try and push anyone to hurry up and not put yourself or your family at risk.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #90
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegand01 View Post
I just want to put his out there for anyone who is puting off the refrigerator fix. My friend Steve, who is also a member in the forums, lost his trailer last year. It was another brand and allowed him to finally get his Airstream. It caught fire while he was hunting with his dog inside. The refrigerator model he had in the trailer is on the recall list. I don't have pictures but I think he has posted them somewhere in these forums. There wasn't any way to tell if the refrigerator was the cause, but with how anal (I mean meticulous) Steve is, thats a likely candidate of what went wrong. I just wanted to put this in here to try and push anyone to hurry up and not put yourself or your family at risk.

Nick
While the fridge is a possibility as the ignition source of the fire, the probabilities are very low....as in 'low double digits' as I was told by A 'big guy' at Dometic. And remember, the initial recall was for almost 1,000,000 units. 20-30 out of a million as almost insignificant......unless it's YOUR trailer that burns!

I have seen a lot more poor wiring jobs come out of RV factories compared with ZERO Dometic fires. I re-wired a guys entire trailer after the primary 12VDC power feed from the battery rubbed the insulation off and grounded itself to the frame, causing the 50 amp circuit breaker to fuse CLOSED, creating a perfect situation for burning insulation and a total loss. This was a result of poor strain relief and lack of wire loom insulation on assembly from the factory. 8' of his primary cable had the insulation melted off and welded itself to the frame, and one of the other cables got so hot that it melted right thru one of his hydraulic stabilizer lines.

If the owner was not there and smelled the burning electrical, and had the presence of mind to pull the battery terminals off , he would have surely lost his trailer.

I had a similar situation in a very expensive Country Coach MoHo. The main connection lug for the +12VDC had worked itself loose, creating a high resistance connection that melted the terminal block and almost caused a fire. Again, the owner had the presence of mind to realize there was a problem with his 12VDC system, and luckily he called me and I instructed him to hit all of his battery disconnect switched to kill the power.
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote