Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Safe

Went up to check out our Airstream and found our Dometic wasn't one of the ones listed in the series of serial numbers. Whew!
Still interested in the info on the fire suppression kit. Please keep us posted as things develop in that area please.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The service tech installed the "fix" on my unit this morning. It essentially consists of a shield between the burner and the refrigerator back - plus other shielding that completely encloses the burner area. There is a thermal switch that is mounted on the "chimney" that has an integral re-set button. This is designed to cut off the fuel supply in the event the system overheats. There is an additional "fusible" link that serves the same purpose - located outside the new shrouding - that requires a service call to replace. The overall intent of the recall "fix" is to shut off the gas in the event of a fire. This may, or may not, arrest a fire that has already started - but it does avoid feeding it with propane. If you listen for the "click" when you turn your refrigerator off - or switch to AC - you'll have an idea of just how fast the shutdown happens. A side benefit of the fix is that the burner and pilot are so well enclosed now that - if you had problems with flame-out before - that problem will probably go away. I tried my refrigerator on the way home - a distance of about 25 miles, at 65 mph - and it stayed lit. The downside is that you can no longer see the pilot, or gain access to light it with a propane match, on the rare occasion when the electronic ignition fails. I think that a half-dollar size window with a simple "flip to the side" cover is in order.

My only surprise was that when I went to check out - after the fix was complete - the dealer requested a $20.00 payment - which I refused! My understanding was that this was an official recall by Dometic and, regardless of the cost, they were responsible. They noted my refusal on the invoice and I told them to contact me if I was in error. Was I correct to refuse additional payment??? There was nothing difficult or unusual about executing the fix on my Airstream, and it took no more than 20 to 30 minutes.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Cracker,,am really surprised at the additonal charge,, picking up my trailer the end of this week and will post if additional labor was charged,,, Dometic only alloted forty dollars per unit,, so if the shop takes longer, then they charge extra,,, so,, we will see,, i do not want to bump the apple cart as repair shops are few and far away,, happy trails,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Same here, get ours fixed this Friday along with wheel bearing/brake checks. Getting her ready for our maiden voyage to NAS Pensacola Monday.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Cracker, you were right on to refuse, as a matter of fact, I'd wonder if this dealer tries this with every repair. If so, Dometic should hear about this. Sounds pretty shadey to me.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Cracker,

If you were NOT told of the up-charge BEFORE they started the warranty procedure, you are under NO OBLIGATION to pay it!! That is pure BS!!

There are times when I tell my clients UP FRONT that the warranty job does not pay sufficiently and that they will have to cover the overage. If they agree, then it's a go. If they don't, I politely tell them to find another service center that will do the job for the warranty re-imbursement price.

Let me give you an example. When changing out a roof air unit under warranty, the manufacturer allows 1 hour labor.....PERIOD! It usually takes AT LEAST 0.5 hours to diagnose the problem because they require specific measurements to dtermine that the unit is not functioning properly. Then, after the new unit arrives at my shop, I have to load it, deliver it, unload it, unpack it, hoist it onto the RV roof (usually by hand) remove the old unit, RE-CRATE IT, arrange for the return shipping to the Manuf. and complete a special warranty claim form.

Then I get to wait 30-45 days for payment. After analyzing a bunch of these situations (I'm also an engineer), the total time required to complete these tasks is more like 2.5-3.0 hrs. No one likes to do 3 hours work for 1 hour of compensation. I tell this to the client UP FRONT and deduct the warranty coverage from the total time required for the job.

Given that it took the tech 20 minutes to do the warranyt fix on your fridge, I don't believe that they are entitled to any further compensation. YOU DID GOOD!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Lew:

I certainly agree with you about the additional charge - if, like you said, it had been explained to me up front. $20.00 is a relatively small surcharge, but what about those individuals whose refrigerator will have to be removed - or otherwise require some unusual additional expense - similar to your air conditioner replacement scenario? How can Dometic simply refuse to pay the additional expense? It would seem like, in this litigation-happy world, that they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit. Especially, if the involved partie's RV went up in flames because they couldn't afford to pay the surcharge for the fix. The thing that makes this fix a bit different is that the alternative to not doing it could be life-threatening - similar to the problem Ford had with their spontaneous fires. The other difference is that, a Ford is a Ford - and the cost of the fix is easy to pre-determine - unlike in the world of RVs. I can see this as a gold mine for unscrupulous RV centers.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Cracker

One question. Was it the Dealer that asked for the extra or the Tech. who did the job?

If it was the Dealer you should post his name as many of us travel through Maine and would like to know of his business practices before we stop in.

If it was his Tech. maybe you should mention it to the Dealer and see if he is still there a few weeks later. I have no problem tipping a serviceman if he has done a good job but have a huge problem with gouging.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Cracker

One question. Was it the Dealer that asked for the extra or the Tech. who did the job?

If it was the Dealer you should post his name as many of us travel through Maine and would like to know of his business practices before we stop in.

If it was his Tech. maybe you should mention it to the Dealer and see if he is still there a few weeks later. I have no problem tipping a serviceman if he has done a good job but have a huge problem with gouging.
It was the dealership - but I would not want to black-ball them because I think that, at this point in the game, it may have been an honest misunderstanding. They could have been under the impression that a surcharge was legitimate and proper - and I was the first one to come along and question it. They were going to contact Dometic about my refusal to pay the surcharge. To date, they have a large inventory of RVs on their lot for sale that they have had to fix before delivery. I believe that they just started doing outside units. I otherwise know them to be a very reputable service center - and one of the few that I would take my Airstream to! I'm also aware that some tech centers are charging as much as $80/hr nowadays - so it wouldn't take much to bump the cost by $20.00! I was simply trying to give everyone a "heads up" in order to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm still interested in seeing the flame out kit that was talked about earlier. Very eager to see one and install one. Yea, the Dometic fix is a band-aid, but what if.....

For about $75, I'd consider it....can't wait to see more info on it....hopefully soon!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
[quote=Cracker] I'm also aware that some tech centers are charging as much as $80/hr nowadays - so it wouldn't take much to bump the cost by $20.00! quote]

Hey Cracker,

$80/ hour is a BARGAIN!!! Some service centers down here are at $120/hour and climbing!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
To All, i was not charged anything for the recall fix,, whether it is a fix or a band aid i do not know,, it is done and over with,, am still interested in the rv cool invention,, that seems to make common physical sense,, hoping to hear more about it,,, ps,, rv service center here charges one hundred dollars per hour,,, SPENDY,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Got my recall done today at the local Winnebago/Fleetwood/etc dealer. Airstream Dealer is 60 miles away. you don't have to go to an Airstream dealer to get it done.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi,

I just made an appointment w/the repair shop here in Sacramento for Thursday for our safari..the gal said it'd only take a half hour to do the fix..she did say there would be no charge and she mentioned adding an aluminum shield..so we'll see how it goes..we've had the refrig since 1997 and have had no problems..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
No Extra Charges!

Hi gang,

I received a letter from Dometic today that specifically referred to additional charges concerning the warranty fix for the affected units. I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of the letter stated that 'it is against Dometic policy and a violation of NHTSA policy and statute to include any additional charges when completing this warranty procedure'

THERE YOU HAVE IT!

I'll post the exact wording to this thread when I get back in the office tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
... I'll post the exact wording to this thread when I get back in the office tomorrow.
Don't forget.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi gang,

I received a letter from Dometic today that specifically referred to additional charges concerning the warranty fix for the affected units. I don't remember the exact wording, but the gist of the letter stated that 'it is against Dometic policy and a violation of NHTSA policy and statute to include any additional charges when completing this warranty procedure'

THERE YOU HAVE IT!

I'll post the exact wording to this thread when I get back in the office tomorrow.
Lew:

I never heard anything more from my local tech about the additional charges - so I assume that they got the word from Dometic. In any event, I'd like to copy your information and forward it on to them.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Never made it to the office today!

I'll try again tomorrow!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #59
Rivet Master

I called Dometic and they gave me the number of a local authorized repair shop that could do the job. I called the shop and they asked what kind of a motorhome I had and I told them I had an Airstream. He said that he would hot work on the refer in an Airstream. I asked why and he told me that Dometic did not pay them enough to do the fix. I called Dometic and they gave me another dealer that told me it will take months to get to me but did put me on the list. I called Dometic and asked for a new refrigerator instead of a band-aid approach but they didn’t care about my life just getting out of a jam they created. With the Airstream metal creeping crud taking over slowly and now this refrigerator fiasco I think I bent over a little to much for this Airstream.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Update on fix:

We just got back from getting the fix: only took about 20 minutes, no charge: here's before and after pix..interestingly enough, the tech had done 75 fixes, never had to do one on airstreams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1789r1.JPG
Views:	1021
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	38315   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1844r2.JPG
Views:	1289
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	38316  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1853r3.JPG