Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
dometic recall kits

got my 1rst box of kits thursday going on short holiday got back yesterday and today got a good look at kit and instructions.= kit includes several pieces of formed sheet metal,1 t-stat (disc type) high limit switch and a heat sensitive fuse (similar to 1 atwood has been using inwater heaters)instalation on some units will require moving refer forward in cabinette for access.the kit will build a new box to surround the existing fire box and mount t-stat & heat fuse in close proximity to fire box. the instructions are written as though dometic anticipates owner instalation,are well written and detailed however i think the install would be beyond most.also includes a warning to wear gloves during install to avoid cuts as sheet metal has unfinished edges.don't know how much time dometic is allowing for install have heard rumors of 1.0 hrs. but doubt it can be done that quickly unless access is very easy.looks more like 2.0 to me with moving refer for access. doing my 1st,2nd & 3rd mon.am and will repost if it's not as currently appears.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv
got my 1rst box of kits thursday going on short holiday got back yesterday and today got a good look at kit and instructions.= kit includes several pieces of formed sheet metal,1 t-stat (disc type) high limit switch and a heat sensitive fuse (similar to 1 atwood has been using inwater heaters)instalation on some units will require moving refer forward in cabinette for access.the kit will build a new box to surround the existing fire box and mount t-stat & heat fuse in close proximity to fire box. the instructions are written as though dometic anticipates owner instalation,are well written and detailed however i think the install would be beyond most.also includes a warning to wear gloves during install to avoid cuts as sheet metal has unfinished edges.don't know how much time dometic is allowing for install have heard rumors of 1.0 hrs. but doubt it can be done that quickly unless access is very easy.looks more like 2.0 to me with moving refer for access. doing my 1st,2nd & 3rd mon.am and will repost if it's not as currently appears.
This sounds like typical Dometic! They always seem to underestimate the hours needed for the job! Look at a roof air change-out. They pay 1.0 hrs flat rate, and that includes troubleshooting the unit, removing the old and replacing with the new, getting it off the roof, re-crating it, filling out the paperwork and contacting the trucking co. (they want all of the old warranty items returned.)

That's more like 3 hours! I'm at the point that I'm seriously considering discontinuing my warranty work because it just does not pay enough! And they don't pay for on-site service calls either!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Will owners who feel that they are competent enough to do the retrofit be permitted to do so - or will Dometic restrict the kits to certified techs? When it comes to repairs on an Airstream there are not too many shops that I would trust in my area - and the mother ship is over 900 miles away. It's not the refrigerator that worries me, or paying to have a tech work on it, but rather, it's the handling of the Airstream in the shop. Also, it's the likelihood that, even if I could find a shop that I would trust, it may be a month or two before they would give me an appointment - since I'm not a regular customer. To date, the only shop that has ever worked on my Airstream has been Jackson Center.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's be great, cause I am fairly mechanically inclined....I'd love to give it a whirl if I could.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Based on my discussion yesterday with Dometic, there's no way an individual owner can get the retrofit kit. It has to be ordered by a certified tech. My son-in-law has one of the affected refrigerators at his camp deep in the Adirondacks. I'm waiting to see how they handle that problem!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bummer.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Based on my discussion yesterday with Dometic, there's no way an individual owner can get the retrofit kit. It has to be ordered by a certified tech. My son-in-law has one of the affected refrigerators at his camp deep in the Adirondacks. I'm waiting to see how they handle that problem!
Need an on-site service call?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
If yer out this way......for a rally or what not, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Dometic pays a flat rate of $40 dollars to do this job.. I have also watched a video provided by them. It took there tech 10 minutes to install.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
If you can round-trip the Adirondacks from Marco Island and fix the refrigerator for $40.00, you're on! I'll even provide the beer!

As an aside, how is Marco Island doing today? The last time I went there was about 1994 to deliver a 17' Shamrock tunnel drive skiff I sold to a local. It blew my mind how much it had changed from the sleepy little fishing village of the late '50s. Damn do I wish I had invested in real estate rather than going to college to get smart!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
If you can round-trip the Adirondacks from Marco Island and fix the refrigerator for $40.00, you're on! I'll even provide the beer!

As an aside, how is Marco Island doing today? The last time I went there was about 1994 to deliver a 17' Shamrock tunnel drive skiff I sold to a local. It blew my mind how much it had changed from the sleepy little fishing village of the late '50s. Damn do I wish I had invested in real estate rather than going to college to get smart!
You and me BOTH!!

The place is almost totally built out. High rises along the whole beach front and grid-lock during the 'season'. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but a direct access water lot can't be had for under $1 Million these days!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Lew:

Boat slips in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area are adding anywhere from $250,000 to $500,000 to the price of a waterfront condominium. They're often worth half as much or more than the condo itself. All of the commercial marinas have been sold out to developers - and the old days of "Ma and Pa" family boats taking up marina space are gone. No one can afford slip rent for the old wooden, or early model fiberglass, cabin boats. It's a real tragedy from my viewpoint - but that's only because I grew up with plywood bay boats, powered by Briggs & Stratton inboards.

I apologize for straying so far from the subject - and touching my own nerve!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lew ---we have a 04 Safari and the local RV dealer will be putting the "repair" on our unit. I"m wondering if they need to remove the fridge from the cavity or can they access the needed area from the outside. Appreciate if you could enlighten me on this.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWard Wind
Lew ---we have a 04 Safari and the local RV dealer will be putting the "repair" on our unit. I"m wondering if they need to remove the fridge from the cavity or can they access the needed area from the outside. Appreciate if you could enlighten me on this.
Best,
WWW,

AFAIK, it can be done thru the access hatch at the rear of the unit. I don't know of any tech that would pull a refer to do this recall for $40.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Shipped April 23 to Tucson?

We are being "put off" or at least there is a delay in shipments from CA to Tucson.......

After calling two months ago, we were told to call our local Dometic dealer. At that time we were told to phone the 16th of April.... We did. Now the dealer wanted an ID#.....Dometic did not give us a # when we phone two months ago????

Got the ID # but are waiting. This is a real pain.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote