Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Georgetown , Texas
Thumbs up

The folks at Dometic promised the folks at Camper Clinic II in Buda, TX that a new refridgerator door would be shipped second day delivery if someone agreed to pay the added shipping fee of $50.00, which I did.

Two working days later (excluding the weekend) the folks at Dometic advised the folks at CCII that refridgerator doors were in fact back ordered and would not be available until the 2nd week of May.

In response to me saying to the good folks at CCII that I wanted to attend a rally this week (a Chili cook-off in Bellvile, TX) the service manager at CCII fashioned and installed a metal plate at the bottom of door that would fit over the hinge pin and be pop riveted to the bottom of the door.

We towed the AS home (about 60 miles) and so far the fix is holding and the door opens and closes very smoothly.

Fortunately, the roads between home and Bellville are relatively smooth.

I appreciate the job the people at CCII have done.

Actually, getting a door before leaving for Bozeman remains to be seen.

SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Georgetown , Texas
IMO the folks at CCII in Buda, TX were waiting too long for a reply from Dometic as to when and if they would take a door off of an existing refrigerator, so I called customer service at Dometic.

After a couple of conversations with customer service at Dometic over two days they did ship a new door and CCII installed it and problem solved.

End of story.

SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
1991 29' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Crossett , Arkansas
Plastic hinges on Dometic doors are prone to fail. They can be repaired however. Dometic first tried to sell me a whole new door. Lucky your unit is still under warranty. Dometic sells a repair kit for many of the models. I fixed mine (1994 model RM-3807) this past Sat morning. Took about and hour. Good luck!
mudmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
The Dometic door on our '99 fell off when the trailer was about three years old. To add insult to injury, the door broke the handle off the oven when it fell. The trailer was in its storage bay at the time. With the first call to Dometic, they sent me a metal hinge brace to overlay the plastic hinge to reattach the door. That was unsatisfactory as the plastic hinge was too damaged so after a second call They sent me a new door as a goodwill measure. The new door was pretty simple to install, but I did have to disconnect the fridge gas line, some hardware, then slide the fridge forward about six inches to do the job.

Oh yes, the oven factory sent a new oven handle, also free of charge.

Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote