Old 06-19-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dometic M40

Well got my Globetrotter on Monday and I am in heaven! I have been slowly testing the systems and tried the fridg via electric as I do not yet have gas hooked up. When I pulled it out after thinking it did not work I was amazed as it looked like a contraption out of the 20's! Easy guess that I am very unfamiliar with this type of refridgeration! I cleaned a few contacts, made sure it was level, and pluged it back in an sure enough, it began to get warm, then hot. After an hour or two, the freezer area started to get cold. but the box itself was a long way from cool.

Before I continue, I am bent on getting this fixed after checking the prices and the technolodgy looks the same. First questions, how many hours or how long should it take to cool down? 3,4,5,6?, if so maybe I am in luck. The coils in the back got pretty hot. Is it possible that it needs a charge? Is that what is done if the cool time and temp iis not adequate? Can that be done by a service center? Is there anything else I can check?

I went to a few web sites to research this further but can't even find the model. Some of the sites suggest lights and circuit boards but I'll be darned if I can find one on this model.

There you go. Any help or ideas which will keep me from spending the big $'s is appreciated. I really want to keep the electic/propane options and do not want to go the all electric compressor route.

Many thanks! Bryan- Dallas, Texas

Old 06-19-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Bryan,

We always turn ours on about a day and sometimes two days before we go anywhere. We allow that much time so we can be sure that it gets real good and cold.

We don't pull the trailer with the gas on either so that is one reason for allowing so much time.

I don't know the age of yours but ours is 20 years old if it's the original equipment. I know it has been worked on but I'm not sure if it is as old as the camper.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Old 06-19-2003, 07:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

That does help. If the freezer part began to get cold in two hours, maybe there is hope! When you turn yours on prior to the trip, do you use gas? Does that cool it down better than electric?

The Globe Trotter is 35 years old and everything is wonderfully original. Got it on ebay and really got lucky!

Bryan
Old 06-19-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
We've only had it for a couple of years and I don't think I've been able to get the gas on. I haven't really tried to mess with it very much though.

Bill

Old 06-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Bryan,

We have an RM60 in our 1971 Tradewind. It also is electric or gas operated.
It is normal for it to take awhile before it gets good and cold.
I recently replaced the electric heater element, and now I use the electric option whenever we have shore power.
Before that i only had propane, but it worked about the same. It might be imagination, but perhaps the electric option is a bit more powerful. My refrigerator works better now that we have used it a few times. At first it was a real "dog". But lately it's very reliable.
A few things to check:
Make sure that the airflow behind the fridge is not obstructed. It is of paramount importance that there are clear vents, both below and above the fridge. The roof vent easily clogs with leaves etc., and the bottom vents seem to collect debris off al sorts on the wire grate.
Make sure the vent flue is clear, and that the door seal is in good condition.
My fridge takes 4-8 hours, depending on the weather, to get cold.
Do a search on this forum, there are plenty refrigeration threads with excellent information on this subject.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

UWE

Thanks - well, for a 35 year old unit I am in luck.

This morning I plugged it back in and after 4 hours it was down to 35 degrees! The thermostat was set all the way up.

I am going to clean it up and put her back with the addition of a 12 volt electronics fan in the vent to the roof. I like that idea.

I checked around but am pushing my luck when asked if there were any door seals around - I think they were holding back the laughter!!! Mine are in OK shape, but the freezer seal is marginal.

So I am considering myself lucky - so far, so good! Thanks for your input.

Bryan
Old 06-20-2003, 03:26 PM   #7
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Bryan,
The refrigeration companies that I dealt with all insist that the old non-circuit board dometic refrigerators are the best. I would not know, never owned a new RV.
There is a company in California called Cool-Fun, that refurbish these for a reasonable cost. My cooling unit had been replaced by them for the previous owner.
The only gripe that I have with mine is the fact that the flame always blows out while driving. I will have to work on that, I guess.
Another way to increase efficiency, is to put a horizontal baffle behind the refrigerator that forces the airflow nearer to the coils, removing more heat, therefore making the fridge's work a little easier. This is especially hepful once a fan is added to increase airflow. The baffle can go up to an inch from the coils. It creates a venturi effect over the coils.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Smile Work with it

Bryan,

I have a 1966 Globe Trotter with an original Dometic refrigerator, and it had similar problems, but with some elbow grease and patience it's cooling very nicely on gas & electric. So, there's hope! Hang in there and work with it - the $ saved makes it more than worthwhile.

Forrest