Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Raton , New Mexico
Dometic Fridge works on AC but not gas

I've checked things over and everything about the flame itself seems fine but it doesn't cool AT ALL on gas. I ran a pipe snake through the flu and it made no difference. I started looking through the manual and here at the forums and noticed there's supposed to be a flu baffle thingy in there, which obviously is missing since my snake ran straight up the flu unimpeded. Would the lack of this baffle prevent the fridge from working at all on gas??? I believe I may also be missing the flu cap since the snake went straight out the top, but I've not had the fridge out yet to verify this.

Any help appreciated.

Tubbs

Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
check out this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=dometic

AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbinator
I've checked things over and everything about the flame itself seems fine but it doesn't cool AT ALL on gas. I ran a pipe snake through the flu and it made no difference. I started looking through the manual and here at the forums and noticed there's supposed to be a flu baffle thingy in there, which obviously is missing since my snake ran straight up the flu unimpeded. Would the lack of this baffle prevent the fridge from working at all on gas??? I believe I may also be missing the flu cap since the snake went straight out the top, but I've not had the fridge out yet to verify this.

Any help appreciated.

Tubbs
yes there should be a baffle in it, what it does is makes the heat spin inside the chimney pipe, equally distributing it. Although I have seen them work without the baffle in it. You might want to check flame size, you might have a restricted orfice. Also it may be your thermostat not allowing full flame.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Raton , New Mexico
Is there more than one setting for the flame or is it just on/off, or does this depend on model? I don't have my manual available right now and can't recall my model number. From what I can tell thus far mine is either on or off. Also, remember, it works on AC, just not on gas, although there's a flame that matches that described in the manual.

Tubbs
Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbinator
Is there more than one setting for the flame or is it just on/off, or does this depend on model? I don't have my manual available right now and can't recall my model number. From what I can tell thus far mine is either on or off. Also, remember, it works on AC, just not on gas, although there's a flame that matches that described in the manual.

Tubbs
the thermostat should throttle the flame. When the thermostat reaches near satisfied temp it should reduce the flame.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
3 flame settings?

I was told , and it appears to be true, that in my '72 dometic there are only 2 flame settings- a low one and a slightly higher one when the thermostat is kicked up. There is NOT a different flame height for each number on the dial! Don't know why yours would not work if theres a flame, unless flame is tiny- I cleaned mine all up, burped it, etc. and just checked it finally the other day on gas- made ice in about 5 hours, from being off for months. I was pleased!!Best of luck with yours, I bet you can get it going- they are pretty simple machines. -tim