Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Brisbane , California
Dometic Fridge not lighting w/Propane

2008 Bambi (new) we had a couple of issues with the Fridge -

Not seated correctly & most recently a noise sounding like a swarm of bees (when running on propane).. we took it into the dealer, they noticed the noise and tighten up the hook-ups (the noise disappeared) .. We took the AS out and now the Fridge fires up on propane & then at times the subsequent lighting's don't work.. it clicks & never ignites and after 3 x the check light comes on.. we turn the Fridge off & on and it eventually it will re-ignite(sometimes right away, other after a couple of times of tuning off/on..).. It never runs the whole night through..in the morning the "check light" is always on..

Any thoughts.. I'm bringing back to the dealer (again) but I finding the more I know the better off I am prior to having the tech "just look at it".. It probably won't fail while we are there..
zimode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I had a similar problem in an older coach. The frig was like it was haunted. It would run on gas but then decide to quit whenever it wanted. I had to replace the control board. Yours may have taken a charge of some kind. We had ligntning strike a tree close to the trailer. We think that might have done it. Replace with a "dinosaur" board and have been fine since.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

This will sound odd but it has worked on several occasions on differnt electronic boards. If the board is very dirty try removing it and washing it with distilled water and a soft brush. Rinse the board well and blow dry using canned air. Let the board sit in a warm dry place overnight to dry completely. Install and try it. You have nothing to loose. Distilled water will not short the board out. Just make sure it is dry. You may be supprised that fine dirt on the board has caused a intermittent short.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Isopropyl alcohol also works fine, but do not apply to PCBA with power applied (or with refrigerator on), as it is flammable. Printed circuit board manufacturers sometimes use this mild solvent to remove flux and contamination, and it will not harm any electrical parts. Just allow the board to dry thoroughly for a few minutes, and make sure that no excess alcohol remains before applying power.

Note: Denatured alcohol also works well (like the kind used in marine stoves), but do NOT use acetone, fingernail polish remover, paint thinner, lighter fluid, gasoline or other common household solvents as these may damage the PCBA, components and wiring, besides being extremely flammable and otherwise hazardous.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Brisbane , California
Follow-up question

For those who thought it's the "control board".. Did your Fridge still "click/tap" like it was trying to ignite or did it just not do anything.. Ours is definitely ticking like it's going to "light" but it doesn't just try's 3 times and quits..
Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Brisbane , California
Update on Fridge not working on propane

OK.. we brought it back in and right now our best guess was the pressure (propane) was a tad low in the lines 10lbs (?) and it should be closer to 11.5.. Since we we're having lighting issues at higher elevations.. we up the pressure to 11.5 in the lines in hopes it solves the problem.. We're running the Fridge tonight at our house and will be checking to see if it's lite tomorrow morning... wish us luck!!

Thanks for all the answers..
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
good luck!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
I have read through all the responses to your post and would like to add my experience with the fridge running on propane. Mine would click similar to what you are hearing and then check light. However I could never get it to lite manually.

First let me add that altitude and temperature both individually and collectively do affect the flow of propane and since I spend a lot of time in National Parks in the Rocky Mountains as a seasonal Ranger and since my Airstream is usually parked at higher altitudes (8000-9500 feet) I always make sure both tanks are full and I have the ignitor checked. With that said I have found that flame got blown out with passing trucks on a windy day and on rainy and very damp days I could not get it to light (the interior of the exterior compartment is always kept clean).
So after the Dometic recall correction ( I had mine done at the factory) the wind shield they installed helped with the passing truck issue but the dampness issue persisted intermittently. Again at the factory this May I told them about the problem and they replaced the ignitor. So far this summer (May 1 to date) I have not lost the fridge operating on propane.

Airstream service mechanic told me that sometimes sand or a similar small specks of dirt gets blown into the orfice of the ignitor and it cannot spark?? Also make sure that the gas off valve at the ignitor ignition point is open all the way.

So the results points to having the ignitor replaced periodically especially if you continually use the fridge on propane. Replacement interval????????

Good Luck and I hope this helped.

Mike
AnnieMae2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Angry Domestic 2400

My domestic 2400 on 12v is not cooling, I can hear the gurgling in the coils and they are getting hot after about 3 hours it is not cool.

I have just got the gas lit after trying to get the 12v side working and will see if the gas side will cool. Any ideas why the 12v is not getting cool and maybe the gas side??? I realy don't won't to replace this if it can be fixed. (By me?)

This is in a slide in camper that I inherited not in the 34'

Thanks for any help,
Glen
glenbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Tallahassee , Florida
Domestic 2400

I ran the frig. over night on gas and it still did not work. When I turned the gas off I saw that it was electric also. I will try the electris today and id this will not work I will try to remove the unit and turn upside down for awhile the hook up again to see it will work. I will also check to see if the flue is not stopped up.I hope this works this time.

I'm not good at posting on the forum so I replyed to myself. I could use some help on this too.

Glen
glenbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote