Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dometic Fridge miswired, Now What?

I have been reworking a 1968 Tradewind this winter and found that the previous owners miswired the refridgerator and connected the 12v dc input wires to 120v ac. The fridge still runs on ac but there is no response on the gas. We have another similar Dometic that requires that you hold a button in until the gas system catches... and there is a 'click' when you hold that button in. No click here at all now.

Any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks.
Jim
jyobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have no idea what I am talking about here, but I'm not going to let that slow me up. I wonder if they didn't fry the board. '68 Trade Winds are WAY cool btw.

(oh yeah, Lew will know)

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobp
I have been reworking a 1968 Tradewind this winter and found that the previous owners miswired the refridgerator and connected the 12v dc input wires to 120v ac. The fridge still runs on ac but there is no response on the gas. We have another similar Dometic that requires that you hold a button in until the gas system catches... and there is a 'click' when you hold that button in. No click here at all now.

Thanks.
Jim
OUCH!!!

What an idiot!!!!!! (unless you happen to be personally aquainted with said 'idiot'!!)

Anyway, 'The Gen' is probably correct in that whatever electronics you have in that fridge are TOAST after having 120VAC applied to it.

Better start looking for a replacement control board for your fridge......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
is there power coming to the 12v wires? i'd guess that as soon as the wires were hooked up that the fuse blew. now, if they hooked the 12v dc to the 120 ac, the board is a ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobp

Thanks.
Jim
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the ideas... & btw... no relation to said 'idiot'.

There was a fried wire that I did replace on the back of the fridge where the 12v line first comes into the unit. I now get 12v to the... I'll call it the 'distribution block' on the back of the fridge but once it leaves there, I got nothin'.

How difficult is it to replace a control board?

Jim
Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Gee, let's see. If it runs good on 12V maybe it'll get ten times colder on 120V

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
fridge board

To replace a board on newer units, is not to bad. DON'T take the old one off until the new one arrives! The connection should be the same or with similar instructions for install. My dometic board came from Dionsour electronics and cost approx $100. I thought that it would be a good gamble before purchasing a new frig at about $1,200. It was and works fine. My unit is from 1989, don't know how far back DE goes back. Contact them on line, there is a full cataglogue.
GOOD LUCK!
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Ok... as of now I have found out that this unit is a Manual Refrigerator and has no control board. Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll keep plugging away and hoping for a cheap(er) fix.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Manual fridge has a manual gas valve that needs to be rotated to get gas to the burner. You can light the burner with an aim-n-flame. There's a thermocouple that shuts off the gas if the flame goes out, so you would need to hold the bypass/pilot valve lever open to light the burner, hold the valve open for a minute or so, then see if the burner remains lit. If it's a nice blue flame like the pilot on your stove or water heater, then you know it works.
If the burner doesn't light, or stay lit, you will have a direction to go. If it doesn't light at all, and you have LP in the tanks, and you can light something else, like the water heater or stove, check for blockages in the line to the fridge. Check to make sure the valve is opening to let LP into the burner, and last, check the burner to make sure it isn't clogged (they get that way just from use).
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Set the thermostat to "4" and the switch to gas and then go around to the access panel and take a look at the valve. There is a little lever that pushes up on a button to open the pilot bypass (the same lever that is operated from the inside). Lift the lever with your finger or a screwdriver and light the burner while holding lever up. After the burner is lit for 30 seconds, release the lever and the burner should stay lit. If it doesn't, the thermocuple is bad. If it wont light at all, then something else is preventing gas from getting to the fridge.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Alrighty then... after doing this and trying that (never one to shy away from trying or doing), I found that the Igniter/Reigniter was toast. This is a pretty simple fridge so there was not much to get fried on it. I called around and found one in town for $45. came home and put it in and reconnected everything and she is up and running on propane!
Thanks for all you input. I hope this help someone else as well.

Jim