Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the unit I got. It is marketed under several different names. Cheney, Taylor, Acu-rite...etc. So far I really like it. Min/Max tells me what is going on while traveling...and when DW ponders the fridge contents for hours.....

ACU_RITE Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer 00986: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

I wasn't aware of that with Amazon. Do a google by the brand names. Maybe you can find a vendor with the better prices. I have seen the exact same unit ranging from $29 to $110!!!!!!!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You can buy a single remote thermometer at
Walmart for under $10. You don't really need dual, just the fridge section. I have details in a thread in the fridge area titled "monitoring fridge performance. Just as an alternative FYI.

Dan

Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You can buy a single remote thermometer at Walmart for under $10. You don't really need dual, just the fridge section. I have details in a thread in the fridge area titled "monitoring fridge performance. Just as an alternative FYI.
If you want to monitor freezer performance as well as the fridge, all you need is a penny and a small plastic cup half full of water. Put the water in the freezer. After the water in the cup freezes, place the penny on top. Then let it sit for as long as you use the freezer. As long as that penny is on top of the ice, no problem. If the penny is ever inside the ice, that means your freezer has thawed and refrozen and it's time to throw out your frozen foods.

This is a trick that I've used here in the New Orleans area for every storm-related power outage in the past couple of decades. When a storm comes through, a power outage is almost guaranteed; the only question is, how long it lasts. With the penny trick, I can tell if it was long enough to thaw anything important.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you want to monitor freezer performance as well as the fridge, all you need is a penny and a small plastic cup half full of water. Put the water in the freezer. After the water in the cup freezes, place the penny on top. Then let it sit for as long as you use the freezer. As long as that penny is on top of the ice, no problem. If the penny is ever inside the ice, that means your freezer has thawed and refrozen and it's time to throw out your frozen foods.

This is a trick that I've used here in the New Orleans area for every storm-related power outage in the past couple of decades. When a storm comes through, a power outage is almost guaranteed; the only question is, how long it lasts. With the penny trick, I can tell if it was long enough to thaw anything important.
Too low tech! Does nothing to satisfy the addiction to gadgets from which I suffer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Too low tech! Does nothing to satisfy the addiction to gadgets from which I suffer.
What can I say? New Orleans: Third world and proud of it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This is the unit I got. It is marketed under several different names. Cheney, Taylor, Acu-rite...etc. So far I really like it. Min/Max tells me what is going on while traveling...and when DW ponders the fridge contents for hours.....
Here is the Amazon Canada quote on the SAME item. Unbelievable, huh?

Thanks for listing the alternate brand names. I will look around them to see if anyone does business in a serious manner.

Aage