Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Dometic fridge cooling unit

So I finally decided that the cooling unit in our fridge is bad--most likely a blockage somewhere in the pipes. Here's the question......

A couple years back I had a list of threads that provided links to companies that sell refurbed cooling apparatus. That was on my last hard drive. Anybody that has has purchased a new/refurber unit lately? Who did you use and how was the customer service? Pricing would be helpful if you want to share.

As always gang, thanks for the experience and knowledge.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
That should read Dometic FRIDGE cooling unit in the thread name. Can't edit the name of the thread if a Mod is reading along.............

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

There is an "Amish" outfit doing refurb and new! Quick search should get you their name...if I find I will post. Maybe:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Coo...6.aspx?sid=298
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey Jim,

About three years ago I bought an Airstream that had a bad refrigerator (strong ammonia smell indicated a leaking cooling system). I priced replacing the cooling system plumbing Vs. buying a new refrigerator.

The cooling system was 60 to 70% of the cost of a new refrigerator. If you damage the new tubing during installation you are out of luck. I price shopped and http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/applian...erators‎ had the best price /shipping costs for my model.

Hint: They ship large items by motor freight. By having the shipment sent to my work where they could unload to a dock, I saved a lot... if I remember correctly, it was a $100 to $200 savings over having a residential delivery.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy!

There is an "Amish" outfit doing refurb and new! Quick search should get you their name...if I find I will post. Maybe:
Dometic Cooling Units (Amish Built Brand-new) - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Channing, did you actually buy something from these guys? Their website and Ebay postings scream 'sleazy sales guy". Just wondering what your experience was like.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Take a look at the thread titled"rebuild for Dometic" in the refrigerator section. You could also send a pm to aage.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I've done business with RV Cooling Unit and although it wasn't for a cooling unit, I found them very competent, ready with detailed info, and well-priced.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy!

http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Coo...6.aspx?sid=298
I found this page above and also found

http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront

I looked suspect that it was so similar . Got on the phone and spoke with the owner. Nice guy and I ended up getting one of his refurbished units. All went well and I have been enjoying ice cream when I camp. Freezer stays at about 10. All went well with shipping and return with ups. Would be happy to purchase from him again.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I bought a new coil for my fridge last year from the "Amish" site mentioned above. Works great. Everything was delivered etc. just like they said it would be.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Just looked back in my records. His name is David Force. I purchased in June of 2012.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post

Channing, did you actually buy something from these guys? Their website and Ebay postings scream 'sleazy sales guy". Just wondering what your experience was like.

Jim
Jim,
I did NOT purchase from anyone... Yet. My own labor is cheaper...

YMMV, and "buyer beware".. For anything these days unless you get it from reputable folks like those here..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Thanks folks. That puts my mind a little more at ease. My antennas go up when I read things on a website like "Internet orders filled first", "phone line is always busy", "phone orders filled after internet orders and are slower to deliver", etc, etc. Not good sales techniques in my view. Couple that with the fact that when you do a web-search on my brand of fridge, you have to search through several pages to find a competitor. Just sell your product and talk to your customers. Don't work the system. Doesn't seem that hard.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I bought a cooling unit from Rv Cooling Unit Warehouse 2 years ago. I just got a new dual unit remote thermometer for the fridge, so naturally, I had to play. After dialing in the thermistor position, I run -8* to -2*F in the freezer and 31* to 37* in the fridge this labor Day weekend trip. I am happy.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Things that make you go "grrr"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I bought a cooling unit from Rv Cooling Unit Warehouse 2 years ago. I just got a new dual unit remote thermometer for the fridge, so naturally, I had to play.
Rich, where did you get that thermometer?

After seeing a mention here with a link to Amazon, I tried to buy from them (again). They don't let Canadians buy from the US site, but the Canadian site wants TWICE the US one's selling price!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This is the unit I got. It is marketed under several different names. Cheney, Taylor, Acu-rite...etc. So far I really like it. Min/Max tells me what is going on while traveling...and when DW ponders the fridge contents for hours.....

ACU_RITE Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer 00986: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

I wasn't aware of that with Amazon. Do a google by the brand names. Maybe you can find a vendor with the better prices. I have seen the exact same unit ranging from $29 to $110!!!!!!!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You can buy a single remote thermometer at
Walmart for under $10. You don't really need dual, just the fridge section. I have details in a thread in the fridge area titled "monitoring fridge performance. Just as an alternative FYI.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
You can buy a single remote thermometer at Walmart for under $10. You don't really need dual, just the fridge section. I have details in a thread in the fridge area titled "monitoring fridge performance. Just as an alternative FYI.
If you want to monitor freezer performance as well as the fridge, all you need is a penny and a small plastic cup half full of water. Put the water in the freezer. After the water in the cup freezes, place the penny on top. Then let it sit for as long as you use the freezer. As long as that penny is on top of the ice, no problem. If the penny is ever inside the ice, that means your freezer has thawed and refrozen and it's time to throw out your frozen foods.

This is a trick that I've used here in the New Orleans area for every storm-related power outage in the past couple of decades. When a storm comes through, a power outage is almost guaranteed; the only question is, how long it lasts. With the penny trick, I can tell if it was long enough to thaw anything important.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you want to monitor freezer performance as well as the fridge, all you need is a penny and a small plastic cup half full of water. Put the water in the freezer. After the water in the cup freezes, place the penny on top. Then let it sit for as long as you use the freezer. As long as that penny is on top of the ice, no problem. If the penny is ever inside the ice, that means your freezer has thawed and refrozen and it's time to throw out your frozen foods.

This is a trick that I've used here in the New Orleans area for every storm-related power outage in the past couple of decades. When a storm comes through, a power outage is almost guaranteed; the only question is, how long it lasts. With the penny trick, I can tell if it was long enough to thaw anything important.
Too low tech! Does nothing to satisfy the addiction to gadgets from which I suffer.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Too low tech! Does nothing to satisfy the addiction to gadgets from which I suffer.
What can I say? New Orleans: Third world and proud of it!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
This is the unit I got. It is marketed under several different names. Cheney, Taylor, Acu-rite...etc. So far I really like it. Min/Max tells me what is going on while traveling...and when DW ponders the fridge contents for hours.....
Here is the Amazon Canada quote on the SAME item. Unbelievable, huh?

Thanks for listing the alternate brand names. I will look around them to see if anyone does business in a serious manner.

Aage