Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Dometic fix took 35 minutes :)

The factory fix took 35 minutes at my local Dometic Authorized service. The only bad part I see is that there is a switch that may need to be reset once in a while and it is now behind the new aluminum box.

The replacement refrigerator is about $1200 to 1400 IF I needed a new one; the same model is not available but there is one that is the same dimensions.

I am really hoping that this problem is not a sign of early failure.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
I received a letter from Airstream referring to the Dometic recall yesterday. It included the model #'s and S/N's affected, what the fix entailed, what to do until you can schedule a service appointment, etc., etc. I thought it good of Airstream to notify customers and not leave it up to Dometic or user awareness.

My unit is not within the range of affected units, however the letter states that if any symptoms develop such as does on the affected units, follow the recall procedure.

Hmmm, this makes me think the problem might be more widespread than originally anticipated - I hope not!

WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I think our 1974 Terry tt had a Dometic and it worked; has Dometic "out-sourced" ????

Depended on Dometic for quality.....this is discouraging.

Kistler
Old 05-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As mentioned in the other thread on this subject. The kit doen't fix anything it mearly puts a limit switch in series with the 12 volt supply that cuts power to the control panel once the limit temperature is reached. That temperature is reached after the fire has started.

The only "True Fix" I have seen discussed so far is replacing the hydrogin gas with helium. The burn tube crack failure may still happen but if it does there will not be a fire as a result.

Yes my kit was installed in less the 30 mins. The installer agreed it will do nothing other than pay him $40.00. He had expected that the whole unit would have been the nature of the recall when it was originaly discussed within the industry and dealers

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Hm....my fix was only sheet metal; the switch was already there--compliments of Dometic originally. Now I have to use a phillips screwdriver, remove the shield (fix) to get to the switch.

Kistler
Old 06-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Fridge Recall

Does Anyone Have A List Of Exactly What Parts Will Be Added Or Installed?? I Understand That You Can See The Repair Thru The Access Door. Was Thinking Of Taking Some Photo's To Assure Some Quality Control.
I've Seen Several Posts Mentioning Helium; Is That A Viable Option? Who Is Qualified To Do The Job.
Boy This Recall Is The Straw That Is Breaking This Camels Back. Quality Control Has Been An Ongoing Problem With The Unit. Kind Of Wish I Had The Old "63" Safari Back!!!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wish I knew. I've been on an SOB dealer list for about 2 months now.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
[quote=ROBERT CROSS]Does Anyone Have A List Of Exactly What Parts Will Be Added Or Installed?? I Understand That You Can See The Repair Thru The Access Door. Was Thinking Of Taking Some Photo's To Assure Some Quality Control.
I've Seen Several Posts Mentioning Helium; Is That A Viable Option? Who Is Qualified To Do The Job.
Boy This Recall Is The Straw That Is Breaking This Camels Back. Quality Control Has Been An Ongoing Problem With The Unit. Kind Of Wish I Had The Old "63" Safari Back!!!!
IF YOU DONT KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING, ANY ROAD WILL TAKE YOU THERE

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Robert, what other problems have you had with your Airstream? I note we have the same model (25' Classic).

I received my Dometic recall notice yesterday, and plan to have mine serviced next week. I don't really blame Airstream for this recall -- it affects almost a million RVs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic_page3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	39260  
Old 06-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
2003 25' Airscream Classic

SEAN:
OTHER CONCERNS, WELL LET ME THINK<><> I GUESS THE ONE THAT BOTHERS ME MOST IS THE CORROSION. STARTING AT THE FRONT. BOTH BATTERY COMPARTMENT OPENING TRIM SURROUNDS. BOTH ENTRY DOOR HINGES. OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE. BOTH WHEELHOUSE OPENING TRIM. PATIO LIGHT HOUSING.
THEN THERE ARE THE THINGS THAT JUST DON'T SEEM RIGHT. ALL-MOST LIKE NO THOUGHT WENT INTO THE PRACTICAL USE OF VARIOUS COMPONENTS. NO WAY TO KEEP THE OUTSIDE ACCESS DOOR FOR THE FRIDGE OPEN. BROUGHT TO LIGHT BY THE RECENT RECALL. (velcro>1/4' wide 1+' long solved the problem) SAME GOES FOR THE STORAGE DOOR BEHIND THE PROPANE TANKS. (drop the tongue). WATER LEAKS INTO REAR STORAGE SLIDE-OUT. (rig proper length bungie cord inside compartment to hold closed)
NOW THE SMALL STUFF. OUR LAST "AIRSTREAM" WAS A 1963 19 FOOT SAFARI LAND YACHT, PURCHASED IN 1989 AND SOLD IN 2004, WHEN THIS RIG WAS AQUIRED. SO WE DO HAVE QUITE A BIT OF PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE WHEN IT COMES TO NORMAL MAINT. AND REPAIRS. WE KNOW WE MOST LIKELY WONT HAVE TO REPLACE AN OUTSIDE BULB FOR SOME TIME ON THE NEW RIG, BUT HAVING SPENT SOME CONSIDERABLE TIME REMOVING STEEL SHEET METAL SCREWS FROM AN ALUMINUM BODY AFTER AT LEAST 7 YEARS.<><> WHY AREN'T THE MOUNT SCREWS STAINLESS.?($6.95 at local hardware).
THE FIRST SPRING CLEAN-UP BROUGHT ANOTHER "SMALL" ANNOYANCE. HALF DOZEN OUTSIDE TRIM CAPS MISSING FROM THE WINDOW LATCHES.(new alum. colored replacements at same store) REPLACED ALL, MOST WERE LOOSE ANYWAY.
INSIDE FIT AND FINISH. VERY POOR ASSEMBLY PROCEDURES. WIRE LOOM HOLD DOWNS WITH NO WIRES....TWO OR THREE SCREWS USED TO ATTACH SOMETHING BECAUSE THE FIRST MISSED IT'S MARK. THE ACCESS DOOR TO THE WATER PUMP IN THE UTILITY CLOSET WON'T STAY UP.(velcro to the rescue). GO AROUND AND OPEN ALL THE CABNET DOORS AND NOTE HOW MANY BUTT RIGHT UP TO ADJACENT WOODWORK. OURS STARTED TO MARK AFTER THE FIRST SEASON. (small self-stick bumpers, we're back at the hardware).
<><
WHAT SAY NOW ONLY RELATES TO MY OWN EXPERIENCE.
THE FACTORY WAS NOT ALL THAT HELPFUL,BELIEVE ME.<>< THEY DID AGREE TO SEND ME ALL NEEDED WARRANTY PARTS, ENABLING ME TO SUPERVISE MYSELF DURING INSTALLATION. INCLUDED IN THAT LIST WAS A WATER PUMP,TRACKS FOR THE PANTRY SLIDE OUT.(if you loose some of your balls you can evenly divide whats left to make a temporary repair). PULL DOWN SHADE OVER KITCHEN SINK.PLUMBING ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK. ONE DOZEN CLOSET/STORAGE DOOR LATCHES.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYTHING SOUNDS FAMILIAR<><>BOB

RLC

RLC
Old 06-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I am the 2nd owner of mine. Previously, it was "used once" and put in storage -- or so they say.

Anyway, we've been lucky with regard to exterior corrosion. We have no "filiform" corrosion.

Our stabilization jacks were badly rusted. My father-in-law removed them, sanded, and painted them black. (Did I marry into a great family or what?) Now they look better than new. I daresay our exterior looks 98% new.

I noticed the lack of stainless screws on the interior. Several interior screws were showing rust. This is plainly rediculous on a new-ish unit. I've replaced all of the rusted screws where possible.

The wallpaper behind our bathroom sink hardware is worn. This was poor design, because that paper inevitably gets wet with every washing of hands. We will eventually replace it with aluminum or a beveled mirror piece.

Our Corian countertops are white with grey specks -- the white is prone to stains, so be careful where you set that open wine bottle!

One of my Fantastic fans needs a new motor or something. And yes, at least one door latch (the lower nightstand) needs replacing.

But overall we are very pleased with our Airstream. All of the major systems work perfectly. The decor is very nice. I'm quite pleased with the quality, fit & finish of the interior. The furniture (couch and bed) are extremely comfortable, and we like the floorplan.

As for the Dometic problem, that is not Airstream-specific. Blame befalls the manufacturer of the fridge.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Have some of the same complaints/observations. I had to hold the outside refer access door for the repairman.

Our pantry lost its balls very early. I saved them but I don't know how to put them back in.

I think my batteries were in run-down charge too long when I took delivery. My trailer was built in June 2002 and sat in the Phoenix sun until October 2002.

Some of our cabinet doors are warped. I bloodied my arm on an exposed staple in the door between the kitchen and bedroom....the one with the plastic folding door. That I took my pliers to.

My bathroom slider has one screw into the ceiling ????? nothing up there....that holds nothing. Every now and then I/we shove it up because it interferes with the sliding door closing.

But she looks good.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Airstream Classic Quality Concerns

So Your Pantry Slides Lost There Balls Too<><> Say What??

It's Kind Of Hard To Describe How To Squeeze Them Back In.
If You Have The Slides Out You Can Bend The Upper And Lower Channel Where Needed, Divide Them Equally Between Sides. THEN CRIMP BACK W/VICE GRIPS.
NOW LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT YOU HELD THE REFER DOOR WHILE THE TECH DID THE RECALL, DID YA GET ANY PICTURES!!!!
YA KNOW I FORGOT COMPLEATLY ABOUT REPLACING BOTH BATTERYS AFTER THE FIRST SEASON.
YOUR RIGHT THOUGH THEY SURE LOOK GOOD!!! NO CONCERNS AT ALL ABOUT INTERIOR FURNISHING'S. THE WIFE LOVES IT.
I'VE PUT A THIN PIECE OF CLEAR VINYL ON BATHROOM SINK SPLASHBOARD.
I HAVE ALSO USED LIQUID NAILS ON THE SHOWER DOOR SURROUND; THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY JUST FELT TOO LOOSE<><>KEEP EM ROLL'N ...... BOB

REMEMBER IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ANYWHERE<><>IT'S HARD TO MAKE A COMBACK!!!!

RLC

RLC