Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #57
Sky
Classic 30
 
Sky's Avatar
 
Sum Wear , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 569
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
From what I gather, the recall is a 'band-aid' to prevent a future fire and not a "Fix". We won't have to worry about the frig causing a fire that may burn our trailers to the ground. Does anyone else have a different understanding? Thanks.
You are correct. I had the recall work done a couple months ago. It is nothing more than a few extra pieces of sheet metal flashing to help contain a fire from spreading if one should occur.

I can hear it now on the top floor of Dometic headquarters:

Management: We have a problem. There have been a couple of fires caused by some of our refrigerators. Wonder what the least expensive way is to limit our liability?

Lawyer: Awww, just throw a couple more pieces of metal flashing in there to help retard any fire that starts. It shows we have taken action on the problem. That should do it.

Just kidding, I'm sure the recall kit was well thought out
__________________

__________________
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
__________________
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #58
Rivet Master
 
TinShack's Avatar

 
2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,438
Images: 28
I just got my expanded recall notice from Airstream in the mail today. I had the work done over 4 months ago. It must be really critical to have the recall work done if it took them this long to notify me..*he says with a cynical wink*
__________________

__________________
Steve
"THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS"
TinShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #59
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
You are correct. I had the recall work done a couple months ago. It is nothing more than a few extra pieces of sheet metal flashing to help contain a fire from spreading if one should occur.

I can hear it now on the top floor of Dometic headquarters:

Management: We have a problem. There have been a couple of fires caused by some of our refrigerators. Wonder what the least expensive way is to limit our liability?

Lawyer: Awww, just throw a couple more pieces of metal flashing in there to help retard any fire that starts. It shows we have taken action on the problem. That should do it.

Just kidding, I'm sure the recall kit was well thought out

I need to check mine, I'm not sure how old it is.... But what you said sound about right to me.... Thats how things seem to work these days....
__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #60
FOBOCO
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1996 34' Excella
1965 24' Tradewind
Point Richmond , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
Dometic recall snafu

I just dumped $75 down the Thetford to have an RV service call to install the fix-it kit on my 2006 Safari only to find out it had already been installed before I bought the unit new! So, what did I miss? I Confirmed with Dometic that mine was on the list for recall after checking Model and Serial numbers. Called a couple of repair shops including Airstream dealers. No one told me that it may already have the fix. Do your research first (at least more than I did).
__________________
foboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by foboco View Post
I just dumped $75 down the Thetford to have an RV service call to install the fix-it kit on my 2006 Safari only to find out it had already been installed before I bought the unit new! So, what did I miss? I Confirmed with Dometic that mine was on the list for recall after checking Model and Serial numbers. Called a couple of repair shops including Airstream dealers. No one told me that it may already have the fix. Do your research first (at least more than I did).
foboco,

I don't understand why you paid for a recall repair in the first case. If the
Dometic was subject to a recall, then Dometic should have paid for the cost. Was the repair completed by the seller?

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #62
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,705
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I have an appointment scheduled. He said the recall will be covered but he will charge $75.00 dollars to come out. He is a mobile repair much like you used. I called dometic and verified that my refer is covered. I inspected the coils and checked to see if there has been any activitiy or tin shields installed.. maybe a sticker? I dont see anything and dometic shows the recall still open. I hope i dont have the same situation. Sorry for your troubles

Vinnie
__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #63
FOBOCO
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1996 34' Excella
1965 24' Tradewind
Point Richmond , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
I have an appointment scheduled. He said the recall will be covered but he will charge $75.00 dollars to come out. He is a mobile repair much like you used. I called dometic and verified that my refer is covered. I inspected the coils and checked to see if there has been any activitiy or tin shields installed.. maybe a sticker? I dont see anything and dometic shows the recall still open. I hope i dont have the same situation. Sorry for your troubles

Vinnie
This guy (from B & L Rv in El Sobrante)told me that most all of the 2005 and 2006's he has seen had already been retrofitted. So you will most likey be okay. I bought mine new in 06. I would have thought the 2 Airstream dealers I called to inquire about the recall should have know the information that the SOB dealer did in regards to the 05 and 06's. Oh well.
__________________
foboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #64
Rivet Master
 
TIMEMACHINE's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,293
Images: 2
Great tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by foboco View Post
I just dumped $75 down the Thetford to have an RV service call to install the fix-it kit on my 2006 Safari only to find out it had already been installed before I bought the unit new! So, what did I miss? I Confirmed with Dometic that mine was on the list for recall after checking Model and Serial numbers. Called a couple of repair shops including Airstream dealers. No one told me that it may already have the fix. Do your research first (at least more than I did).
Thanks for the heads up. Can you share your production date? We have the same model AS built in March 2006, just wondering if yours is newer or older?
__________________
Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #65
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,705
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
BTW.. Welcome to the forums.. Im sure from here forward you will have outstanding experiences with your airstream and this community of members..

Welcome!!

Vinnie
__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #66
FOBOCO
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1996 34' Excella
1965 24' Tradewind
Point Richmond , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
We special ordered it, so it was being built early Sept 06.
__________________
foboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member
 
Motoman's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 334
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foboco View Post
This guy (from B & L Rv in El Sobrante)told me that most all of the 2005 and 2006's he has seen had already been retrofitted. So you will most likey be okay. I bought mine new in 06. I would have thought the 2 Airstream dealers I called to inquire about the recall should have know the information that the SOB dealer did in regards to the 05 and 06's. Oh well.
Airstream dealers may just shuffle you off to Dometic if they are not an approved Dometic repair facility. I took our 2005 CCD, older that your 2006 models with a production date of May 28, 2004, to a local Riverside, CA RV repair shop that I looked up on Dometic's site. He had the parts, was available to work on it the following week and installed the kit.

Here are a couple of pictures of it. The new heat shielding is installed on the back and side of the burner and chimney to protect against a fire should the ammonia mixture leak and ignite. An added temperature sensor wired back to the control board would sense the fire and shut down the gas valve.

If you don't have this extra shielding you don't have the recall kit installed.

To Time Machine, Let BamCamper know she needs to have the recall kit installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic0001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	73124   Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic0002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	73125  

__________________
Don (KD6UVT) & Gail Williams

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #68
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,705
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Thanks Motoman,

Now i know that i definately havent had the recall performed.

Thats helpful.

Vinnie
__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #69
Community Organizer
 
Guido's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 98
There is also a cutoff switch mounted on the boiler tube. It has two wires going to it, and in case of fire it will shut off the gas. With any luck.
__________________
Fr. Guido


"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #70
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,270
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
After and before.

Hi, in post #67 the pictures show what your refrigerator should look like if the recall was done. In my post the pictures will show what your refrigerator looks like before the recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall Ships 010 (Large).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	73130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tall Ships 009 (Large).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	73131  

__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dometic Refrigerator Potential Recall RoadKingMoe Refrigerators 4 12-04-2008 09:31 AM
Dometic Fridge RECALL Breiz Refrigerators 6 04-17-2008 09:16 PM
Whats the problem getting the Dometic recall done on an Airstream? ROBERT CROSS Refrigerators 8 11-02-2007 01:29 PM
dometic refer recall update wasafari Refrigerators 40 06-17-2007 07:36 PM
dometic recall kits crestonrv Refrigerators 14 04-19-2007 08:34 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.