Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
Dometic door hinge broken

The last time I moved my trailer I ended up with my fridge door on the floor. After reading around I see it is a very common issue. My hinge broke and there is no way to piece together the broken pieces. Everything I read is quite old so I was wondering if there are any new fixes out there. I haven't phoned the dealer or Dometic yet. We are a few months from heading out again so I am just starting to figure out how to solve this problem. My fridge is a RM3762 but I suspect all fridges are similar around the hinge. It would seem to me that it is only a matter of time before the freezer door has the same problem. I think the best fix would be a metal cap of a sort, probably for both the top and bottom hinge as I notice the top hinge is cracked also. I don't have the ability to fabricate anything too elaborate and I am quite fussy. So I want more than a bandaid fix. If the answer is in a forum I am sorry but the only answer I found was from 4 years ago. Any help is greatly appreciated.
bugman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I'd call Dometic corporation first. I called them for the clear plastic that covers the switches on our fridge and they simply sent me a new one!
No idea if yours is still in production or in their parts catalog but they were more than accommodating to me...
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
broken hinge

Bugman3

I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up making a strap out of hose clamp that I cut to size. I know this is a temporary fix, but it solved the problem for the rest of my trip. I haven't gotten around to calling Dometic since I put the trailer away for the season, but I would be interested in what they have to say about your situation. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Thanks,

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I have Rm3807. Probably a similar setup to yours. When mine broke I took a length of 1/8 inch by 1 inch bar of stainless steel and cut it to match profile of the full width of the door. Counter sunk two holes in it to mount to the door with the screws that were in it and drilled a hole for the hinge pin(location of this hole is critical). Has worked perfectly for at least 5 years now.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
in a perfect world I would have a piece of aluminum fabricated that would fit along the bottom of the fridge door, but I suspect it would cost me more than just replacing the door. I will talk to Dometic and see what they say.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Body Shop "Plastic welding"

I had the same problem and since I owned a Body Shop, I had a technician "plastic weld" the hinge. This is a procedure that any modern BodyShop can perform. Cost efficient and lasting repair. Hope this helps

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
i did the same as BigAl, except i used a piece of alum. The most difficult part is tapping the threads for the hinge post. If you remove the two screws that holds the hinge on the door and broken piece to a metal fab. shop they can duplicate easily and it should be less than buying new hinges, look as good and are a lot stronger.
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman3 View Post
in a perfect world I would have a piece of aluminum fabricated that would fit along the bottom of the fridge door, but I suspect it would cost me more than just replacing the door. I will talk to Dometic and see what they say.
I had the top hinge break off to expose the poorly designed plastic hinge last year.

I am a civil engineer, and it almost looks like it is designed to fail

My AS is a 2004 Safari, and the dark brown door replacement door was no longer available but I was able to get it in Taupe and it looks fine. The cost for the door was almost $200.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
On my fridge it was the plastic corner of the door that broke, not the metal hinge pin mount that is screwed to the box.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
I can't imagine the metal hinge breaking, I am sure in all cases it is the plastic portion that breaks.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
I can't imagine the metal hinge breaking, I am sure in all cases it is the plastic portion that breaks.
You are correct. I can't imagine the metal hinge breaking either, so when I read it, I must have identified with the plastic part that the hinge holds in place breaking. Good news is that the hinge is an easy fix, not so much the plastic door!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
So far no success, the Dometic Rep never really answered my question. She just emailed me a schematic of the fridge and said these are the parts available. And from what I can see there is no part there to fix this.

Our local RV shop, after a few days, got back to me saying there is some sort of fix from Dometic but he had no part number or price and would get back to me.

It baffles me why this is so hard to find a fix........it is obviously a common problem.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Columbia , South Carolina
We had a hinge break and we were able to find a RV repair shop in Lexington, SC that had a used door. We got that for a good price and swaped it out. The chances of you finding another door like we did may be slim, but it is at least something to look into.
dazwelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Dometic door

Have you called Airstream repair center? I would think they would have tons of doors laying around after updating all the Airstreams that have come through their shop over the years.
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Dometic Hinge Reinforcement Part

My friend, Larry Gambel, at Little House Customs sells a little stainless steel reinforcement for the small Dometics used in Casita trailers... I suspect they would work on the Airstream Dometic hinges as well.

From the description in his web site:

FRIDGE HINGE REPAIR/DAMAGE PREVENTION KIT

All too often we hear of the top hinge breaking on the 17-foot Dometic fridges. This is bad news when it happens because that top hinge is part of that quite expensive door! This stainless steel bracket is easy to install and will repair that broken hinge permanently or prevent it from happening on one that's not yet broken! The very thin profile is nearly invisible when installed. This is a must have for all 17' refrigerators.

Web site here (scroll down 4/5ths or so) http://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html

Rob
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So far no success, the Dometic Rep never really answered my question. She just emailed me a schematic of the fridge and said these are the parts available. And from what I can see there is no part there to fix this.

Our local RV shop, after a few days, got back to me saying there is some sort of fix from Dometic but he had no part number or price and would get back to me.

It baffles me why this is so hard to find a fix........it is obviously a common problem.
Yes, your absolutely correct, in that it's common for a reefer door hinge to break.

The question is not what happened, but WHY did it happen ??

The answer is very basic.

Shaking the trailer, by what ever means, will cause the reefer door hinges to break, along with the cabinet door hinges, etc. This has been going on for my 50 years with Airstream.

The hinges don't break, unless the trailer is towed. The more towing, the more hinges break.

The cause is from several different sources, or a combination of them.

First, everyone agrees that an Airstream MUST have a soft ride. When that happens, then crazy things like hinges breaking, rivets shearing, fatigue cracks in the shell or chassis and water leaks, as well as many other issues, rarely, if ever, happen.

The list of regular possibles are as follows.

1. Bad rubber rods in the axle/axles.
2. Unbalanced running gear.
3. Excessive rated hitch bars.
4. Excessive rated (heavy duty) tow vehicles.
5. Many rough roads.

Figure out which of the above your trailer is experiencing, and then you will have your answer as to why "hinges" on anything in the trailer, break, as well as other "don't make any sense" problems.

The rubber rods in the axles are good for about 25 years, and possibly a little more "if" the trailer was towed very often. Parking a torsion axle equipped trailer with the weight on the axles for even a couple of years, destroys those rubber rods.

Unbalanced running gear is way to often a issue. The use of proper balancing methods such as the Centramatic balancers have become a great answer, that lasts forever.

Excessive rated hitch bars and tow vehicles, is almost always a selling dealers answer. Unfortunately, most always, that answer is incorrect.

The heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter rating bars should be used. A good test is to jump up and down on the coupler when the rig is ready to be towed. The coupler, and the rear end of the tow vehicle should move vertically about one inch, or more. That test would show that the overall suspension sytem in use, is OK.

When that movement is next to nothing, that tells you that the rig is "over suspended", if you wish, and must be softened so that the soft ride for the trailer, can be achieved.

Physics is physics, and it doesn't matter how old or new the issue, the rules still apply.

SHAKING AN AIRSTREAM, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE, IS A NO NO.

If the shaking is present, NEGATIVE REWARDS, will greet you in many ways, and seldom are they cheap to correct.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Kits are available to repair the various model Dometic door hinges and were, at one time, available through All Seasons RV Appliance Parts & Service in Elkhart, IN for around $20. You can reach them at 800-344-0673. Worth a try.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
In reply to the shaking trailer. Yes, we towed a long distance and yes some roads are rough but as to why this hinge let go, it is poor engineering on Dometics part. It is a plastic piece where a metal piece should be. In my case it was as simple as I moved the trailer in and out of my garage and forgot the fridge door was open, it swung around and snapped off. Still shouldn't have happened and when I looked closely at the other side, which is there for left hand hinge installation, it is cracked also and there is no hinge installed there. And further to that the broken piece is merely a plastic molded piece that could be easily available if the manufacturer so choose to supply it, which it appears they don't. I will try some of the above contacts for a solution. Stay tuned.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Check out this guys experience:

http://beamalarm.com/Documents/domet...ge_repair.html
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
2023 28' Pottery Barn
Delta , BC
There is no easy or inexpensive solution that I could see. So I glued the pieces I had back together with JB Weld, then fashioned a 1/8 piece of metal, 1 1/4" by 7 1/2" to support the bottom around the pivot point, painted it black, and riveted it in place. I then used layers of the JB weld material as filler to fill in the area around the hinge. I will paint that black and as it is on the bottom of the fridge for the most part, it is invisible. Probably better than new. If they had used any metal whatsoever on the bottom part of the fridge no one would have these problems.

It should hold, we hit the road for a month in April, that will be a good test.