Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Holey cow, what a story! Thank you for sharing Lew. Both interesting and disturbing at the same time. So I guess no product that had a new improved design that didn't quite work out as intended can't be improved more without creating liability issues! Something wrong with the system here.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Cessna could only do cosmetic changes as a major improvement to the airframe opens the door for class action suits alleging the earlier planes were defective....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #23
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
We had lost the refrigerant in our Dometic last year while wintering in AZ. After having a RV tech look at it decided to replace the entire unit opposed to the cooling unit only. It was immediately obvious that this guy had done this before, so I questioned him about the failure (the refrige was 10 years old). He explained that the leak was the result of a manufacture weakness, and the "fix" had been to install a shield to try and avoid a fire. I contacted Dometic about this issue and am sure I was told that the faulty tube had been fixed in newer models. Is that not the case?
As a side note, change almost always follows tragedy and litigation.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
In some industries, the occasional customer or employee death is cheaper than paying to comply with the safety regulations.

Since most businesses are incorporated, the decision makers are usually isolated from the litigation and or jail.

If I knew then what I know now, we should have left the Dometic/Atwood stove and water heater along with the Dometic refrigerator sitting at the factory along with the twin mattresses we left there from our Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #25
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Wow. This is really eye opening. I have always loved the idea of LP refridgeration. It's like magic...cool from heat. And so quiet. I guess I have more to learn.

2dabeach (Post #10) can you share details of your automatic fire extinguisher mod? From the pic I thought you had put a fire extinguisher near the fridge compartment, then read your post and saw the "automatic" description!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Would that be this unit? http://www.vfamerica.com/eng/seasteel-dp2600ix.html

It looks quite nice. I can see why you'd like it. How's the fit vs. the existing fridge that comes with the trailer?

(Thinking selfishly, we have an International 27FB.)

We'd have to resolve our own solar/battery situation before putting in one of these babies, but it looks prime and I bet it works a lot better.
This is the unit I use most frequently as the replacement or Dometic's 6 and 7 cu/ft models:

http://www.vitrifrigo.com/eng/page96.html

The steel unit is nice but a bit pricey. Same 'innards' though!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Lew,

Have you seen the new Dometic compressor refrigerators in 6 and 8 cu/ft sizes?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That poor design of refrigeration by Dometic will be replaced next month in both of our trailers with a Vitrifrigo DP2600 going into our Classic and the DP150iL going into our 23D. We already had both solar cells and lithium batteries installed in/on both trailers, so the 12Vdc power source will not be an issue.

Lou - how do these refrigerators work? I'm assuming no propane - which probably means I'd need a solar setup rather than kill the batteries when off shore power...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Lou - how do these refrigerators work? I'm assuming no propane - which probably means I'd need a solar setup rather than kill the batteries when off shore power...
Haven't seen the new Dometic compressor units. I'll have to take a closer look.

SSM, These marine units use a small DC direct compressor commonly known as a 'Danfoss-type compressor. They operate along the lines of a residential fridge or RV A/C in that they contain is a compressible gas under pressure
that gets cold as it expands.

These were created for the harsh conditions of the marine environment in that they will work flawlessly up to 30º off-level, are built to be bounced around, are pretty much impervious to elevated ambient temperatures, cool down from ambient in about an hour, have great door hardware and operate battery direct without any need for an inverter.

A suitable battery bank and minimal solar will keep you going in most situations. Heavy or prolonged boondocking will require a more robust battery bank and solar array……………depends on how large a unit you will need and how you intend to use it.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Lewster. Just dos some quick reading on Danfoss. Worth thinking about when upgrading batteries, charger, solar panels....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We have a 300 amp-hour lithium battery under the sofa in front of the the street side wheel well in the 2015 23D along with five AM Solar GS-100 solar panels on the roof (possible by removing the crank up WineGard television antenna and installing their Auto tune round antenna). This system will power the Vitrifrigo DP-150iL which, per the measurements, should be an easy install. The reality will be disclosed starting 9 May.

The 2014 31' Classic has a 600 amp-hour lithium battery under the front sofa with currently eight AM Solar GS-100 panels on the roof. We are planning to add at least one more panel (a possible second additional panel may get squeezed in) along with the Vitrifirgo DP-2600 refrigerator. The Classic has a 9 cu ft Dometic unit and the new unit will be significantly shorter. We plan to create a new storage compartment in the space above the refrigerator. This is scheduled to happen starting around 16 May.

Note that both refrigerators after the upgrade will be using freon as the cooling gas with the Danfoss compressors. These two units come with a small 120Vac to 12Vdc converter. On the Classic, our rewiring has the refrigerator power on a new primary panel that is in front of the Magnum. If operating in inverter mode from the battery, there will be no 120Vac power to the refrigerator converter. However, the 23D wiring will require a manual switch to disable that function so we are not creating 120Vac from the battery to create 12Vdc.

Both trailers are also scheduled for a new Dometic CU434 stove installation at the same time. The 23D appears to be a drop in situation (unless Murphy shows up), but replacing the sunken Classic stove may prove to be a more interesting challenge.

I plan to report back with photos link after each unit is upgraded.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have always been a little nervous, having read about the potential for a refrigerator fire. Until reading this I had always assumed the risk was restricted to when operating from propane.

In two years of trailer ownership we have spent exactly one night without shore power. I have a Honda 2000i and may acquire a second one in case I want to operate the AC. The current trailer is a 2002 Classic 30 slide-out and has two Group 27 flooded cell batteries.

So, for Lou (and anyone else with similar circumstances), a few questions:

1. The specs say the average power consumption is 65 watts. I'll presume it takes more when operating and little or no power when the compressor is not running, and that the word average implies some duty cycle over 24 hours. Would that be a correct interpretation?

2. I have read often in posts on here that the charge current available from the TV is on the order of 7 amps. That would seem like enough to operate the refrigerator you typically install (2600) without running down the batteries while towing. Is that correct?

3. Given our propensity to"camp" with shore power available, is there any reason not to change out the fridge and rely on the generator for the few times we might be without the shore power? If we found ourselves doing more off-the-grid I could add solar. I have often thought about it, but haven't seen the benefit given our camping history.

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
By Wednesday of next week, we should have both the Dometic CU434 stove and the Vitrifrigo DP150iL refrigerator installed in the 23D. I will be departing Paradise, TX (near DFW airport) Wednesday some time for Santa Fe and have to be there by the next evening. Will sleep beside the road, so the boon docking experience will be the 500 watts of soar connected to a 300 amp-hour battery versus the refrigerator power draw and, if needed, power from the furnace operation.

The Danfoss compressor appears to be the same size unit for both the DP150iL and the DP2600.

We do not charge the battery from the tow vehicle in either trailer as the alternator output is not good for the lithium iron phosphate batteries that installed in both trailers.

The Classic currently has 800 watts of solar and a 600 amp-hour battery, so the DP2600 operation will not be an issue.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Wow... I'm glad our new coach was supplied with a Frigidaire all-electric fridge instead of a Dometic unit. We had fridge cooling problems in hot weather with our last Dometic unit (a 2016 model, yet).

The Frigidaire cools great in all temps and no worries about gas hazards. It does require extra batteries, however, when not connected to shore power. Small price to pay for the reliable and safe refrigeration/freezer.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Motorhome?

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Interesting read for sure, thanks and sorry for the hassles they but you through.
Kind of answer a lot of my questions on fixing up my 72' Dometic or replacing with a new one. Shopping around for a Vitrifrigo...
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote