Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to will Send a message via Yahoo to will
dometic 3way refer.

Has anyone experienced this problem...when parked at my home the refer has no problem with power selection..You turn it on and it goes right to AC like it should. Often times when I am at a campground and plugged in to their power,my refer cannot make up its mind weather it wants to run on gas.ac or even 12volts. I have to fool around with the on/off and even resort to unplugging the
ac to get it to go to gas operation. I have the improved oem pc board installed.and otherwise am very happy with its operation.I suspect there is noise in the supplied power at these campgrounds.
I have checked the voltage and found it to be correct.Is there an available noise suppression devise that might take care of this problem? Is my internal converter bad?
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you have your converter on at home as well as away, I would say the power from the campground is less than pristine. Or does this happen at home without the AC running? There are available power conditioners that you plug into the park pole and then plug your trailer into. More that the fridge, which is smart enough to switch, I would worry about what the power is doing to my AC.

Here is a link to a couple of portable ones.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=18336

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...55&prodID=3251

Not cheap, but cheaper than a new AC or refer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to will Send a message via Yahoo to will
dometic 3way refer.

As I suspected,the problem was "noise" on the 12 volts to the refrigerator. The 12 volts also looked like it could use a better regulator.
So I replaced my old Magnetek 6300 with their upgraged version 7345 . I am real happy with the results,nice smooth 12 volts and the refrigerator
no longer gets confused when I turn on the flourecent lighting.
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:52 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Flourescents

I ahdn't seen this thread before, but I had the same trouble with a 3-way Dometic in my old Scamp. I had replaced the ceiling light with a flourescent. The fridge would even get into a mode where the lights flashed on and off, round and round, looking like a pinball machine.

In my case, a new circuit board cured the problem after a year of getting the run-around from the repair shop. Wish I would have had my digital camera then so that I could have taken a video of the "pinball machine" and proved to them what was happening.

The new board was installed only after the old one totally failed with a little bit of help from me.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote