Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Dometic 3762 Steel Door Scratches

I guess it was inevitable but I took my 2008 Classic 25fb to get the Dometic fridge recall done at a Camping World and I had to tow the trailer about 20 miles. The darn TV wall mount must not have been locked down securely and when I got to Camping World I stepped inside and notice the TV and swivel mount was up against the fridge door. Sure enough there are scratches in the steel finished door. Not enough to make a dent but there are scrapes.

Here is the bad part. The work is complete and I double checked the TV mount and it was locked but when I go back to storage it was unlocked. More scratches. I locked the mount again and pulled and pushed but could get it to unlock. I may have to get a velrco strap to add as a safety measure.

It appears the exterior of the door is not replaceable, I'd have to get new doors. Any idea how I can repair the scratches. It looks like paint more than a metal finish.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went to the trailer storage after work and using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser I found these were not scratches. The back of the TV being plastic left what I thought was scratch marks. Careful rubbing up/down with the Magic Eraser removed the marks.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Rookie

2007 23' Safari SE
Helen , Georgia
Those magic erasers are incredible. Glad you removed the scratches. I had some really tough scratches on the steel door for my grill and I decided to take steel wool and rough it up to make it match. Looks like you dont have to resort to that.
martyhardy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lucky you!

We have gotten a few scratches on our Dometic fridge door insert and on the aluminum bathroom door.

I put a coat of clear automotive wax on these several times a year, which doesn't get rid of the scratches but does diminish their appearance. Also makes the doors look lovely.

Maggie