Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Dometic 2804, cooling system clogged

I could use some advise on this one. My 1988 Excella 29' has a Dometic RM2804 fridge that has been working well until recently. Now, however, it doesn't cool on gas or electric, and just makes a constant gurgling sound. It seems like it's making heat on the back side, just not cooling at all in the fridge or freezer.

The local airstream dealer says the cooling system is clogged and needs to be replaced ($1500 parts and labor). Or, replace with a total new unit ($2300 parts and labor).

Is replacing the cooling unit something I could do myself? Special tools needed?

Would it be better to replace the entire unit with a modern one? And is that something I could do myself?
Natenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Given that the unit is almost 25 years old, I would opt for a new refrigerator. Yes, many have had good luck with a rebuilt cooling unit and that can save some money, but you still have many old parts. If you are handy you can probably replace the refrigerator yourself and get a new one for $1200 or thereabouts. Be aware though, some Airstream refrigerators are hard to get out (and some are not) depending on the specific way they were put in to begin with. To replace the cooling unit only, you would need to remove the refrigerator in any event.

Best of luck with whatever your decision is in the long run.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote