Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
DBW
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2018 Basecamp
Charleston , South Carolina
Dometic 2531 problems

I have a 2018 Basecamp with a Dometic 2531 refrigerator that is giving me a headache. I don't think it is a safe refrigerator. On my last trip, this past week, we could not get it to cool below 45 degrees F. We had good weather with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the 50s. I put the system on "auto" once we arrived (30 amp hookup) around 5 pm. The next morning the refrig was 65 degrees. I turned refrig off and back on and listened for the clicking to stop indicating the pilot light had lit. I checked the temp again around 8 hours later and the temp was still 65. The outside refrig vent was warm and the fan was running indicating to me it was working but it was not. The LP tanks were full with the green flag showing. I then turned off the LP tanks so the system would be AC powered only (auto switch still on). By the next morning, the temp was 55 and cooling down to 45 by the afternoon. The wife wanted to use the stove for cooking dinner that evening so I turned on the LP tanks. By the next morning, the refrig was back up to 60 degrees. Have any of you had similar problems with this model and more importantly any solutions? Thanks
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
DBW
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2018 Basecamp
Charleston , South Carolina
Bulletin #172

Airstream finally responded to my message concerning the Dometic 2351. They told me my Basecamp Dometic was part of the recall (#172) and should have been repaired but never was. I purchased the Basecamp from Johns RV in Lexington SC. They received the parts for the repair two months before I purchased but never repaired and never informed me of any issues with the refrigerator. Thanks to Jon D Puckett at Airstream Customer Support for letting me know and solving a problem that I have spent too many hours on.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Have you seen this thread? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mocksville , North Carolina
We have a 2017 23 FB Flying Cloud with a Dometic fridge model 2351, and are having the same problems. Our refrigerator never cooled properly from day one. It has been in the repair shop twice for a total of 6 weeks. A fan was installed behind the refrigerator to vent warm air to the outside as it is vented on the side. That did not work and we still had temps of 45-55 while running on electricity. We do not open the door excessively! On the second trip a thermistor was installed and then a new cooling unit. We picked it up from the shop today and just checked the temp inside of the fridge and it is still doing the same thing. Once again, we are unable to use the refrigerator on any trips because it is not conducive for food safety. We were told by the service manager that Dometic would not do any more to repair, that this temp was acceptable?? We are perplexed and exhausted. Dometic blames Airstream design —not venting hot air properly, though 3 fans later, we still have an issue. It will be out of warranty in a few weeks. Sadly, we have not completed a single trip since we owned our "dream" Airstream. We miss our old fifth wheel as we never had a refrigerator issue all the years we owned it.
Pocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Mocksville , North Carolina
CORRECTION: The refrigerator model is Dometic RM2551, NOT RM2351 on our 2017 23FB Flying Cloud.
Pocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Thank you for the post. We are having the same issue with our 2019 23 CB fridge model RM 2551. We traveled this past summer from CA to FL. The fridge worked fine in the winter months in CA, but the fridge does not work properly in warm/hot weather. Fridge temps ranged from 42-65 degrees making the fridge useless. We used a Yeti cooler to get us through. We thought we purchased quality, but we are now realizing that Airstream and Dometic really don't care. The AS is now at shop number three and the only advice thus far is to add another fan. The addition of another fan will not be enough to vent the space. Heat rises and the installed fan pushes the air up and not out. We are new to travel trailers and this has put a bad taste in our mouth. If we can not trust Airstream, then who can we trust when we spend this much money on a trailer.

Looks like we will be selling and taking the loss.

Thanks,
JT
JRDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDT View Post
The AS is now at shop number three and the only advice thus far is to add another fan. The addition of another fan will not be enough to vent the space.
And you know this, how?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Thank you for your reply.

How do I know this?

I added an additional fan inside the unit and there was no change in temp.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
I also have a few additional questions ...

1. Why does a 316w fridge only use 175w heating element?
2. I can cup my hand around the furnace when plugged into shore power and it is just warm. Not hot. Is that normal?
3. The hot air that accumulates behind the fridge has nowhere to vent in the 23 design. It feels like an oven behind the fridge on warm/hot days. Heat rises and would have to be blown perpendicular to the unit. Has anybody made any modifications to help with venting?

Thanks in advance.
JT