Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Changing refrigerator surface so magnets stick

Has anyone made any changes to the front surface of a Dometic refrigerator with something that magnets stick to? We have a ?stainless steel? front now but I want to change it as we're gathering a large magnet collection. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
My guess is your "stainless steel" is really plastic that looks the part but does not act it. Is stainless steel magnetic? The answer is yes, the magnetic properties of stainless steel are very dependent on the elements added into the alloy, however, the steel elements make the alloy magnetic! So why plastic, less $$$ and lighter weight. The "fake" stainless steel on your refrigerator is a mylar coating over the plastic. So to truly answer your post you must replace the "fake" with real, however due to the added weight and cost, I would search for a more magnetic place.... Vin

vinstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #3

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Is stainless steel magnetic? Many are not; eg, a magnet adheres to none of the appliances in my kitchen.

My Safari is in storage and I won't venture how readily the front panel can be replaced. I don't believe my fridge front panel is plastic. Keeping an open mind there... Do they even have any avocado enameled steel any more?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Most kitchen appliances are made with Austenitic stainless steel that are generally a non magnetic in nature... Austenitic stainless steel is used in Higher end Kitchen Appliances because you can "cold form" them with out damaging the metal. These types of stainless steel are made with large amounts of Nickel and the chemical properties of large amounts of Nickel mixed with steel make Austenitic stainless steel non magnetic! Sorry for any confusion!
vinstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
Has anyone made any changes to the front surface of a Dometic refrigerator with something that magnets stick to? We have a ?stainless steel? front now but I want to change it as we're gathering a large magnet collection. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?
Try a magnet. Magnets will stick to my "Stainless" refrig door. The lower content of nickel the more likely it will hold a magnet.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #6

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I have changed the panels on my Dometic but not to a magnet sensitive material. I took out the cheap fake wood and put in a mahogany veneer that closely matches my original interior wood. Thought about putting in a steel surface for magnets but am using the oven door for that.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
(formerly doug&maggie)

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The surface of our frig is, I think, a brushed aluminum which will not hold a magnet. Maggie LOVES magnets. Problem recently solved with a sticky-backed, brushed metal wipe-off calendar now adhered to the bathroom door in our Interstate. We have to have a calendar to keep track of what day it is and appointments/events---the brushed metal surface looks very nice in our interior---and the generous surface holds our magnets! We got this at Office Max or Office Depot.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenjude View Post
I didn't on mine but did help a buddy do his. We use a piece of Kynar Coated 26 gauge steel that was leftover from a project. It happens to be Pizza Hut Red

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Just make your own panels. It's not hard. I made mine from thin gauge sheet brushed aluminum I had left over from another project (Dometic wanted $90 for the stainless look panels....too $$$ for me....I made mine for free). Hit them with a power buffer and they look great.

But anyway, you could make your's out of plain old sheet steel; something like the 26 gauge mentioned above. Cut it to the proper size, clean it up, polish it up, then degrease it and clear coat it. Then carefully slide it into place.

If you don't clear coat it, it'll rust on you. You could just wax it periodically; which might actually be better than a clear coat. But a good clear would work. Or, if you don't really want silver, get some sheet steel that is enamel coated.

Good luck!