Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
Changing from an original refer to a late model, I have ??

I thought I had this all figured out. My old 1963 Dometic is not cutting the mustard. I have decided to go ahead and install a Dometic RM 2510. After searching for reviews, I found a post where someone had been asking why theirs wouldn't work. I see that they require 12V. I don't have a 12V system on my trailer.
I could hook it into my tow vehicle wiring and power it while I am hooked up, but, when I get to the campground I will unhook, therefore losing my 12V source.

I guess I could wire in a transformer, like for a doorbell or thermostat.

What are you guys with the vintage trailers doing?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I am looking at doing exact same thing, would like to keep tabs on the answers you get.
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
I am holding out for one last chance. I adjusted the flame and I am going to let it cool for 24 hours to see what I get. Always looking at my options ahead of time.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roothawg View Post
I thought I had this all figured out. My old 1963 Dometic is not cutting the mustard. I have decided to go ahead and install a Dometic RM 2510. After searching for reviews, I found a post where someone had been asking why theirs wouldn't work. I see that they require 12V. I don't have a 12V system on my trailer.
I could hook it into my tow vehicle wiring and power it while I am hooked up, but, when I get to the campground I will unhook, therefore losing my 12V source.

I guess I could wire in a transformer, like for a doorbell or thermostat.

What are you guys with the vintage trailers doing?
What we did with our 1960 Pacer--same situation, no coach battery--was add one. We put a battery box on the front of the frame--there was just room between the LP tanks and the shell. Then we put an Intellipower under one of the dinette seats, added a small fuse panel, and we had 12 V all the time.

If you are going to upgrade to most modern trailer features, like refrigerators, water heaters, etc., you will need full time 12 V.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
Actually, I purposely avoided 12V.

There is no real purpose for it. I have a propane instant hot water heater, propane fridge (for now) and I can use a small generator if I need shore power outside of the campground.

I hear ya though. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah what is the deal with newer fridges needing power and cards that go bad when the all mechanical ones worked just fine. The card die fairly often and have to be replaced at $100+ each. It seems that Dometic is going backwards.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
Mo money Mo money