Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
Chainsaw or Blowtorch? How do I remove the refrigerator

As the title suggests I'm pretty frustrated trying to remove the Dometic Refrigerator from my 77 Land Yacht.
I've removed the bolts holding onto the alum. frame it sits on and all the screws on the side. It gives a bit at the bottom but seems to be hanging up on the top right..almost behind the panel that the acordion door rolls into. I've started removing the wall beside the fridge, but have also run into mystery retaining screws as I've pulled everything that is visible.
If anyone can offer advice as to what might be keeping this fridge in place up top and how exactly to get at it..well lets say I would be very thankful and will step away from the Stihl saw.
Thanks
Mike
Attached Images

hopmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a brace screwed into the interior wall of the trailer at about the height of the top of the fridge. It connects the top of the fridge to the trailer.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks Overlander63
What is the best way to access those? I can't figure out how to remove the overhead compartment..I'm sure there are screws somewhere on the right side, but none are visible.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
It's Out- How to Remove Dometic Royal Refrigerator

So finally sorted it out and have the pic of the last bracket that was a pain.

I'll include some steps in case someone else winds up in my boat.

So the unit is a 77 Land Yacht with twin rear beds and side bath. The fridge is a Royal Dometic. You can see form the pics above what it looks like.

There is a cabinet below the firdge to access bolts and a storage cabinet above with an accordion door.

The fridge is 55 inches tall.

Step one. Remove all visible screws from the adjacent wall. Remove if equipped the cabinet beside the refrigerator. 3 screws into floor and several others securing to fridge cabinet. Important to do this first rather than those bolts under fridge that secure it to metal frame.

You will have to remove thermostat and if you have the old school propane lamp.

Once done move these parts aside. Disconnect fridge propane outside and unplug it naturally. You will be able to see in the camber a metal strip that holds the fridge to the wall with three screws once the side wall is removed. Unscrew these (see pic). Phew almost there...have a celebration drink.

Now using a 13mm wrench (x2) get on your back undo the 3 bolts that secure the bottom.

You should'nt need to remove the upper cabinet...I did, but having looked at it now I think it was not needed. The fridge should now be free to slide out...sometimes wd40 on rails will help it move forward.

You will need a helper to lower it onto floor...maybe on a piece of mat. The fridge should fit out the door intact facing forward. Watch those fingers.

Not sure if we will repair ours down the road. I'm replacing it with a small Vissani from Home Depot and possibly a microwave or kick ass coffee center...I'lll post up a pic of the finished reno when its done. Feel free to DM me if anyone is attempting this and needs input.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
I pulled my refer out several years ago. It's been so long, I forget what I had to do. But getting it out was a bona-fide project, for sure.

Pantry shelving/enclosure left of refer hasta come out. Rivets and/or screws inside the access door hafta be drilled and/or otherwise removed. Panel on right side of fridge hasta be removed.

Basically, just tug and pull and see what the next thing is that hasta be removed.

Basically, everything that's surrounds the refer hasta be removed. There are no short-cuts.

Sooner or later, it will come out.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I removed the 6 cu ft fridge from my Excella and it went smoothly. Having a little rug on the floor to rest it on as it comes out will save your floor and make it very easy to move towards the exit.

Fitting an 8 cu ft into the space was a challenge as it was about two inches taller. Took a few days and to my surprise ended up looking like it came from the factory that way. Well worth the time, trouble, and money for the extra space.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
Question, are you replacing the fridge ?
aircraft1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
If you are interested I need a few parts I'm willing to buy. Or if you want to sell the fridge let me know I'm interested.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircraft1 View Post
If you are interested I need a few parts I'm willing to buy. Or if you want to sell the fridge let me know I'm interested.
I just got the old one out and the new 12v mocked up for framing and now trying to figure out what to do with the old fridge..

Let me know what you need and I'll see about pulling them off...just PM me.

Otherwise is there any value in keeping it? If it put it at the curb the scrap steel Jawas will grab it, I just dont think I'll ever repair it.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Winnetka , California
Hello I just saw you replied to my request. yes definetly interested on parts. can you send me detailed pictures of the refrigerator in and out. regards,

Hector
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
frig hanging up

I thank all prior posts. I am renovating 76 Argosy 26 going nuts pulling out same frig and cabinet design so maybe similar installation. Here are fastener locations I found but likewise got a hidden snag at top right. I find 6 screws in left side pantry wall into frig near front trim, 2 in top shelf side, 2 in next and 1 in each of next two side walls. Find a tack screw by front in floor; find 3 screws in right side panel about chest high. I removed L brace screws on floor and found a nail from the carpet tack strip also. I find several rivets at thru the front panel by the trim edge which penetrates the side brace on front side near door of frig running top to bottom. I find a screw through top tambour shelf bottom panel into top of frig. STILL Not budging. Disconnected gas line from rear of frig. Still stuck. Pulled right side panel out and removed L floor brace from frig. What am I missing? Where is electric line to disconnect? would electric keep frig from moving? Is there a faster inside the frig? Is vent attached to frig?
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Hey girls & guys,
i just finished this fridge removal in my 1977 Argosy Moho!
It was a nightmare, an sensless at the end, because it does not get cold anymore....!
See my thread from yeasterday under "Argosy Motorhome repair", maybe this will help somebody.
Good luck! Regards, Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums!
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post
I thank all prior posts. I am renovating 76 Argosy 26 going nuts pulling out same frig and cabinet design so maybe similar installation. Here are fastener locations I found but likewise got a hidden snag at top right. I find 6 screws in left side pantry wall into frig near front trim, 2 in top shelf side, 2 in next and 1 in each of next two side walls. Find a tack screw by front in floor; find 3 screws in right side panel about chest high. I removed L brace screws on floor and found a nail from the carpet tack strip also. I find several rivets at thru the front panel by the trim edge which penetrates the side brace on front side near door of frig running top to bottom. I find a screw through top tambour shelf bottom panel into top of frig. STILL Not budging. Disconnected gas line from rear of frig. Still stuck. Pulled right side panel out and removed L floor brace from frig. What am I missing? Where is electric line to disconnect? would electric keep frig from moving? Is there a faster inside the frig? Is vent attached to frig?
not sure if you got it out yet. Is yours on a platform? Mine sat on an alum frame and had several bolts running up into fridge from frame.