Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1969 25' Tradewind
Fletcher , North Carolina
Can older Dometic Refrigerators be restored?

Is the original Dometic Refrigerator in my 1969 Tradewind something that can be restored. Can they be restored at a reasonable price?

Here2day Air2morrow
here2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Call This Place

I have no personal knowledge of these folks but check out their site and maybe give them a call. Good thing is that they are not too far away from you. In Fort Mill, SC. Just across the state line, south of Charlotte.

RV Refrigerator Repair| Rebuilt Cooling Unity- Appliance Repair | Fort Mill, SC

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1969 25' Tradewind
Fletcher , North Carolina
Thank you tinbender, I will check them out. I want to keep as much of my original Trailer so if restoring makes sense I am going to go with it.
Here2day Air2morrow
here2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
I have the original 1959 LP-only fridge working in my Overlander. I had it pressure-checked by two different people, just to be sure: no leaks, and it cools like crazy. I did have to find a replacement door gasket and make some repairs to the interior door. And I have to keep the setting pretty low or things freeze. Also, I created a fresh-air vent in the access door, and an exhaust vent behind and slightly above the unit. There was NO intake before, and only exhaust was through a gap in wall insulation leading to small roof vent. Serious scorching in the wall led me to do something different!
My research on LP refrigerators indicates they can last a looooong time. There are even places that can make new ammonia-filled cooling units for them.
What will eventually cause me to have to get a new fridge will be failure of the Klixon valve, which is what opens & closes flow of gas to my burner. Apparently no one has figured out a suitable replacement. But your 1969 should have a more modern (and replaceable) thermocouple safety valve, I think.
Will try to find some photos of old set-up and new set-up to post.
1959newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I was wondering the same thing- I found a mid 60s vintage Norcold fridge on Craigslist and wondered if it might be a reasonable alternative to a new one. It only works on gas, which is okay, but I don't want to get into something that is iffy or impossible to make work.
Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Hate to pop the bubble, but a re-built fridge lasted us a year, if that. Bear in mind, we are full-timers and the fridge ran 24-7. Our second new "Classic" Dometic lasted 13 years before the dreaded "ammonia" smell. We just bite the bullet these days; replace, get warranty, hit the road.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
I have a 1984 Holiday Rambler motorhome. The fridge in mine was DOA when I acquired it three years ago. I read on the internet how to remove the unit, which I did with some help (mine is a big unit), but I could not get it out the door. It was 1/2" too wide to fit through. So I took the cooling unit off the back while it lay on the floor of the MH. It was a big learning curve and took some heavy prying and cuss words, but it came out. I was going on vacation to Mobile, AL and was driving through Falkville, AL. There is an RV refrigeration repair facility there and I just dropped it off. (My original intent was to take the whole refrigerator to them.) On the way home a week later I picked it up. Cost me $475 and they included all the mastic and hardware needed to reinstall it. Putting it back in was way easier than taking it out. It works like new, now. I was very pleased with their work. They will even pull it and repair it on the spot if you can drive your RV to their parking lot. Not a big fancy place but some very nice people.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's great to hear that there are still some good places out there repairing cooling units.

There are a handful of fridge configurations for which no modern replacement is available.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
I had the Dometic100 fridge restored from my 75 Soverign. Only problem was some of the knobs etc. were impossible to find. I ended up buying a newer Dometic. I still have the old one if you are interested.
blumob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
Hello, we have a 1968 tradewinds and need to replace the refrigerator. The dometic models are too wide and the ones that fit are black framed Do you have one you recommend?

rothway is offline   Reply With Quote