Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Burping my Fridge???

This is my last resort. My Fridge in my 60 Overlander will not cool down. I put a new heating element in and on a/c the coils get good and hot except for a couple of pipes. Per the Forums I am "burping". Does any one know how long to leave it upside down? And how long should I wait before it is right side up,
before I plug it in? Or right away? Is there any shaking or baking involved to dislodge the chemicals that been sitting for 20yrs?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

Steve
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
burrrrrrrrrrrp

hi- I left mine upside down for several hours, did that a couple times. Another poster here said it does not hurt to leave them that way overnite. After doing that, mine made ice in 4 or 5 hours, the first time I tried it on gas. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead
This is my last resort. My Fridge in my 60 Overlander will not cool down. I put a new heating element in and on a/c the coils get good and hot except for a couple of pipes. Per the Forums I am "burping". Does any one know how long to leave it upside down? And how long should I wait before it is right side up,
before I plug it in? Or right away? Is there any shaking or baking involved to dislodge the chemicals that been sitting for 20yrs?
I'm not sure I would "burp" my fridge. Turning the fridge upside down dislodges particles that could further clog the system.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

To burp or not to burp. That is a good point that it may further lodge particles. However, this is my last hope, then maybe replace or rebuild (if possible).
Old 10-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
They get colicky. Common fix on old Servel gas fridges. Overnight is OK. Take it out of the trailer first!

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Steve, I just did the "burping" with my 41 yr. old Dometic. Before hand it would struggle to get cold. It literally took it a day and a half to get cold. Now it gets cold within 4 or 5 hours of turning it on. I mean cold, like 28 deg. in the refer portion.

Here is what I did. I turned it over for about half a day and then back. I then turned it back over again and let it sit that way overnight. The next morning I turned it back over and let it sit for about another half day.

One word of caution, After turning it rightside up wait a while before starting it again. It takes time for everything to settle back down.

Other things to consider while you have you refer out, clean the burner tube and orifice. Mine was clogged. Clean the heat tube if it is dirty. There also might be a filter inline before your thermostat I would shake the dirt out of that too. Get some pipe thread compound that is rated for gas and put it all back together.

Do a general inspection and replace anything that is suspect. You can still get things like thermocouples, safety valves, heating elements, orifices, and thermostats to name a few.

While I had my refer out I built some baffles to direct the air to the coils and from the coils to the vent. These refers will benefit from better airflow, the less dead space the better.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
A site for good info...

I sounds like Chris had good luck with burping his refrigerator. We are pretty new to our unit that has a nice 3-way that would cost about 3k to replace. I had hear murmurs of woe regarding the importance of leveling. We had no current problems, but I wanted to get expert advice. I found this site and called. The guy was very helpful in explaining how things work and actually explained why burping can actually be the end of a unit.

www.rvfridge.com/ He cautioned us not to run it unless it is w/ 3-5% of level. Now our unit is probably original to the '83 310 we have, so I am amazed that it has been working so well. The website had some good education pages on the subject. I think there are several re-manufacturers out there, so if you ever have to replace, it would be worth comparison shopping.

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
when it comes down to burping, its time for a new fridg. its has leaked or it is stoped up.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Chris, Sounds like you had good luck so I'm hopeful. I've turned it upside down and right side up about 3 different cycles, and still nothing. The coils heat up in some areas (very hot) and some areas not at all. I hear fluid moving around as I turn it over. My assumption is that there is a blockage (no ammonia smell) and more than likely located where the coils are not heating. I'll try this procedure a few more times then try it propane. If not well -new fridge. But I'm not going down with out a fight.
Auretrvr, thats for the info. on rvfridge.com I'll check it out.

Steve
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
steve

hate to be the grim reaper but, the gurgling you hear is the remainder of the liquid being boiled off after the hydrogen charge is gone.

when mine failed it had no smell and just gurgled... DOA.

john
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
No Problem Steve, The only part of the coils that should be getting hot is the big one on top. The fins underneath would warm but not hot and the tubing near the bottom ought to be reasonably cool.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the older the refer the more important it is to have it level.

Other than an amonia leak, if anyone before you ran it out of level for a long time it could have crystalised the solution inside and that also will make a refer DOA.

Good luck !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Burping my Fridge

Steve,

If you decide to replace your fridge, Vintage Trailer Supply has a good price!

Good luck,

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Tx
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I have a few minute break at the office so I thought I would check my post.
Boy, I love getting good news when I'm working! We got our overlander from the original owners who were caravaners with Wally in the 60's. They took great care of her. I have been able to get everything else functional except the refer. So other than polishing this has been a priority. Well I guess having sit for 20 years is not a good thing. I would really like to keep the original but if she's dead she's dead! I'm still going to exhaust all avenues before I sign the certificate.
Thanks
I keep the post posted.

Steve
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Here is an interesting thought
On a 63 Bambi the fridge is in the back center, so level side to side is usually not a problem
How about front to rear level? How critical is that?

My 1963 fridge looks great and lights good, and has no signs of rust or leakage, it sat for 26+ years before I lit it, and it does not cool. It is propane only and has no provision for electric.
I plan to burp it when I have some time this winter and hope it works.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Still no luck on the "burping" process. I had planned to switch from 110v to propane to see if it will run on gas. However, I have located a hole in the pilot light tube, so gas is not making it to the burner section. Does any one know who has this part? Or who rebuilds the old Norcold refers? A new refer is becoming more of a reality at this point.

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Burping just dislodges small particals that are blocking up the small tubing. It is not a permament fix!!! It will block up again eventually. The only thing that cures it is to cut the unit open, flush and reverse flush, and then weld it shut and recharge it.

www.snydersrvrefrigeration.com
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I had a non working refrigerator when I bought my 31' sovereign in 2000, I burped it and it is still working great. With the cost of new, it is worth a try!
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the optimism airstream4 . I'm lying it on all sides to hopefully dislodge something. I'll keep trying until I get tired of it and then move on. From what the experts on refrigeration say, it sounds like its only a temporary fix. Thanks RV_Cool, I was not aware that these older units could be rebuilt. I thought the unit was history.

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

I just checked out your link RV_cool. I talked to someone from a company called RV_Cool the other day. He said he couldn't help. Are you rebuilding the older Ammonia units?
Thanks

Steve
Old 10-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
"I'm lying it on all sides to hopefully dislodge something. I'll keep trying until I get tired of it and then move on. From what the experts on refrigeration say, it sounds like its only a temporary fix. "

I burped by turning unit upside down, don't know if on side will get liquid flowing. I'm sure that for every time it works there is a time that it doesn't work. If a new unit is a permanent fix, how about a permanent warrenty? If ammonia smell is present you have a leak and no amount of burping will help. Repairing or replacing is not cheap! When I checked in 2000 it seems to me cost of rebuilding was half cost of new, with me doing work.
GOOD LUCK
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote