Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Merlin , Oregon
brown and green wire?

There are four refrige wires that come out of the wall behind my refrige. I hooked up the 12V dc connection (red and black) to my new frige and it works fine... What is the purpose behind the brown and green? I feel like I'm missing something.
spanky1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Possibly the propane relite sparker circuit. Mine were wired direct to the battery by a previous owner. When I cleaned up the wiring, I managed to wire them in to the breaker board backwards, duhhh.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
That's spooky, 3 of us with the 78 Excella on here at the same minute.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The Red, Black, Brown and Green wires that exit the wall just above the fridge in my '73 don't connect to the fridge. They are for the thermostat for the air conditioner. It hangs on the wall right next to my fridge. Have you measured the voltage on the red & black? Where is the thermostat for your air conditioner?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
12-24 vac would be for the thermostat for the air conditioner. For our a/c, we have red, red, brown, green, and black.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Merlin , Oregon
So wait... I dont understand. Why is there an AC thermo hook up behind the fridge? When I bought my airstream the AC thermostat was ripped off the wall... I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the assortment of 6 wires went to the AC thermostat. right? Why would there be a power hook up behind the fridge if you install the themostat in a different location?

On a side note, I need to purchase an AC thermostat. Do they all have this 6 wire hook up? or do i need to purchase one according to my AC brand?
spanky1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky1313
So wait... I dont understand. Why is there an AC thermo hook up behind the fridge? When I bought my airstream the AC thermostat was ripped off the wall... I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the assortment of 6 wires went to the AC thermostat. right? Why would there be a power hook up behind the fridge if you install the themostat in a different location?

On a side note, I need to purchase an AC thermostat. Do they all have this 6 wire hook up? or do i need to purchase one according to my AC brand?
I replaced our OEM thermostat with an electronic household model. It cost $20, and works fine. It will turn the fan off when temp is reached, which cuts down noise when it's not running.