Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Black stuff in the frig

I have a question about some black stuff that I found in my frig. We have a 2006 Bambi that had to have some repair work done and it sat for about 3 months while the repairs were being done. I went to check out the frig in preparation for an upcoming weekend trip and in the freezer I found this black stuff. The stuff was also found on the plastic that seals the door. It looked like mold and possibly aspargillus(sp). If anyone knows how I can clean this stuff off and not wreck the inside of the freezer I'd appreciate any suggestions. Also is there a way to help prevent this stuff from coming back again. I thought about using bleach but I'm afraid that it will eat up the seal.

Thanks Flyguy
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I had a touch of this once; I would start with windex or dish soap first. Then I would go to simple green and finally bleach. After each trip I remove everything from the fridge and then wipe it all clean and dry useing windex or dish soap. My one mistake was to close the doors thinking everything was bone dry; I was wrong. Now I use a bungee cord hooked on the top door handle of the fridge and wrap it around the bathroom door handle once and then back ro the lower fridge door; This holds the two doors open, [about three inches] but prevents them from swinging around freely. [your floor plan may need a different way to hold the fridge doors open] There is a gadget made for holding the fridge doors open or should I say prevent them from closeing all the way, but since I have to move my trailer with the door not accessable I have to do it my way or chance breaking the fridge door hinges or whatever the doors hit when swinging around. In other words, I can't park my trailer and get into it. [See my Avatar]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Yep, gotta leave those doors open until 100% dry. We use a spray bottle with a bleach solution. That gets the cooling fins clean where you can not scrub. Bleach will not hurt anything in your fridge, just make sure you do not dribble on the carpet while cleaning or it will bleach out the color.

Good luck. A good long air drying afterwards will help and will keep future occurrences at a minimum.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
Bleach will not hurt anything in your fridge
Pure bleach undiluted is corrosive.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I use a capful per spray bottle as opposed to the straight 5% solution that would come out of a standard for home use jug. Bleach is corrosive to metal. Concentration, exposure time, temperature are all factors.

After several years of use we have observed no ill effects of the solution on any interior components in the fridge, only a nice clean antiseptic smell and no mold.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
After turning off the fridge we leave the doors open to warm and then dry, wipe out the defrosted water, occassionally use a rag with dish detergent to wipe out the interior and always keep fridge-its inside, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. More time than not the doors are closed but we never have had a problem with mildew. Before using fridge-its we used a box filled with charcoal. There are even refrigerator fans that utilize charcoal pieces. In all the years of rving we have never had to use anything more than that to keep the fridges clean and sweet.

$2.49 at Camping World, date (I use a marker) and replace as necessary.
Fridge-It Deodorizer - Camping World
Attached Images

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
black mold

presuming you had some black (maybe fungus) mold...
bases are really good to kill the mold off (windex with amonia). the problem is that you really need to have an aerosol that will penetrate cracks and crevices. because the mold moves about in the air it can go anywhere.
most of the time, if I want to use an acid, I use vinegar. vinegar is less corrosive and still has the ph necessary to disrupt the cell membranes. the mold can still be able to come back even if it has been completely dried out. the only option is to get it all out. one thing that i have done which i wouldn't advise others to do is to put a pan of amonia in - for me the shower - and pour very hot water in it and then stay away for awhile - then air out the area real well. that seems to work.
if you want the professional solution - Dettox Mould & Mildew Remover. It definately works with repeated applications - acid solution with mildew remover. I can't find any. leaving the solid residue in cracks and crevices prevents regrowth

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yup, the black muck...clean it up using one the suggestionss above...then when you turn the frig off while waiting for your next trip, just prop the door open somehow...and everything will be fine...and it will be good to go when you are!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I put ammonia in a pan in the fridge to keep the bears out of there. I've been told the bears don't like ammonia. Bought my trailer with bear claw marks on the refrige door. So far so good.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
To prevent it from happening again, I made this gizmo out of velcro. Glue some of the hook side to the door and some to the refrigerator. Use a piece of the loop side to hold the door ajar.
Attached Images

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I leave the door(s) open all the time when unit is not in use. To date, I have had no mold. Cleaning that will take some degree of diluted bleach to totally kill off the mold.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Our fridge has 2 shelf dividers that unsnap and then clip onto the edges of the doors to hold them slightly open. We have not had any issues and I didn't have to fabricate anything since it came with the Dometic fridge.

I am sure all newer Dometic fridges have the same system. Take a look in your manual on how to snap them on the door to hold it open.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote