Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
monroe , Michigan
binder

Just purchased a new circut board for my suburban furnace model nt30m and furnace worked fine on bench. Installed in my AS and it started and hooked all wires and fan came on but would not light.If I crossed thermostate wires at furnace it starts every time and cuts off when limit switch activates.I cross wires at thermostate and furnace fan runs but will not light.Any help would be great.
BINDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINDER
Just purchased a new circut board for my suburban furnace model nt30m and furnace worked fine on bench. Installed in my AS and it started and hooked all wires and fan came on but would not light.If I crossed thermostate wires at furnace it starts every time and cuts off when limit switch activates.I cross wires at thermostate and furnace fan runs but will not light.Any help would be great.
I am not an electrician but it sounds to me like either an intermittent open or a high resistance short. Maybe try stringing a piece of wire from the thermostat to the furnace and it if works you know there is a problem down stream in the wire and will need to fish a new one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Make sure there are no restrictions to the air flow. If the sail switch cannot get enough air flow, it will not allow the furnace to light. If there is any obstruction in the vents that could cause the problem.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Here are two more possible scenarios. The sail switch has a spring inside of it. If the spring is weak, the sail switch will not function correctly and the furnace will not light. Also, sometimes in checking for current, a probe is placed through the insulation. Occaisionally, a small piece of broken wire will poke out of this test site and short out. The unit will run on the bench because it is not grounding out. When placed back inside, if it touches metal, it shorts.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINDER

Hi, Binder,

I'm not sure I understand this. If you short the thermostat wires at the heater, it lights and runs until it trips the overheat switch?

Hmm.... If it has enough airflow out, why would it trip?

Also, do you have a separate thermostat for the heater and A/C?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote