Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Speaking of refrigerators I could not find the fan for my new 30' Flying Cloud. The dealer told me that over a certain length fans are not required for the refrigerator. I have yet to play with my new trailer so does anyone know if this is true. No fan required?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Speaking of refrigerators I could not find the fan for my new 30' Flying Cloud. The dealer told me that over a certain length fans are not required for the refrigerator. I have yet to play with my new trailer so does anyone know if this is true. No fan required?
That sounds weird. There is no direct correlation between trailer length and the ability of the refrigerator's ability to vent excess heat. If it's true I'd sure like to know WHY it's true!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Slowmover, we don't do much boondocking and tend to stay put for several weeks to a couple of months at a time. We used to run the generator when traveling anyway, because we were traveling only in the summer and needed it to run the a/c. Now that we're retired we've traveled some in cooler weather, so the residential refrigerator runs on the inverter when driving. That's only a few hours at a time, so we probably could even skip that and just leave the door shut while driving.

An Airstream, though, is a bit different in that there is no generator to power the refrigerator on travel days, but I think the inverter ought to handle that bit.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
The short trailers have no roof vent, only sidewall air inlet and outlet venting, and so have fans to assist the cooling of the refrigerator. My FC 20 has the fan system (which I dislike).

The larger trailers with larger refrigerators still have the roof vent and require no fans.

I THINK only the 16's, 19's and 20' have the side wall only venting with fans, but it may extend up into the 22' Sport and maybe even the 23' FC. Someone else may confirm where the change is.

The 30' should have a real roof vent and needs no fans.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The short trailers have no roof vent, only sidewall air inlet and outlet venting, and so have fans to assist the cooling of the refrigerator. My FC 20 has the fan system (which I dislike).

The larger trailers with larger refrigerators still have the roof vent and require no fans.

I THINK only the 16's, 19's and 20' have the side wall only venting with fans, but it may extend up into the 22' Sport and maybe even the 23' FC. Someone else may confirm where the change is.

The 30' should have a real roof vent and needs no fans.
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Slowmover, we don't do much boondocking and tend to stay put for several weeks to a couple of months at a time. We used to run the generator when traveling anyway, because we were traveling only in the summer and needed it to run the a/c. Now that we're retired we've traveled some in cooler weather, so the residential refrigerator runs on the inverter when driving. That's only a few hours at a time, so we probably could even skip that and just leave the door shut while driving.

An Airstream, though, is a bit different in that there is no generator to power the refrigerator on travel days, but I think the inverter ought to handle that bit.

The traveling in summer we did in Texas showed me that without propane power that the reefer couldn't keep up. This was on trips of 300-400 miles. The reason for my caution. Except for cost I can see no reason to use residential. The reefers mentioned elsewhere in the thread would be a better choice in electric only.

The other downside of residential is that it reduces trailer re-sale considerably. I start deducting by more than double the cost of a top line reefer. It is like an electric only water heater. As these are cheaper than RV spec it usually means the owner was in no way interested in the other aspects of vehicle maintenance. My experience is that I will pass on the unit no matter how much I like it otherwise. I WILL find problems that are either serious or are almost there. Add in ho-made curtains and it's almost a guarantee I'll walk.

I've not ever found an older unit that needed nothing or was close. But some changes to the rig speak loudly. And in the wrong way. Reducing an RV to handicapped status is not the way to go, IMO.

It can take months to sell an RV. Expect six to be conservative, even a beauty at a reasonable price. Unless one wants to take a real beating, avoid changing vehicle spec as much as possible.

In this instance performance is not only not improved, it is not even an equivalent performance. My twenty five year old three way NORCOLD has been in constant use for two years since Monday. We changed a board and exercised all other functions after TT purchase. I defrost a couple of times yearly. And do not lack for space or cold keeping.

I'm getting far from the question the OP has about a solar powered unit. That, IMO, is the direction to take if one wants to reduce propane use exposure. With even reasonable solar it is likely these days that this will add a premium to an otherwise ordinary TT. That it will add value versus reducing it. An easier sale.

There are older threads on this subject. There are also threads on upgrading the electric feed from the TV alternator. Look at all options, and

Good luck

from the AIRphone
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #27
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Thanks for the info on the reefer fans. My 25' Cloud has a fan which by the way I tossed out and installed 3 fans which are totally silent and installed an on/off switch. That is why when I bought the 30'er one of the first things I looked for were the fans and could not locate them. So then the dealer was correct. He did not give me an explanation but the roof vent makes sense.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:13 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bozeman , Montana
another option/consideration

We have a 2005 Bambi 19'. However, researching on other forums and if I were to ever remodel/replace the built-in fridge, I think an Engel or a ARB or 2 mounted with a slide (under bench) would be a nice option and easily replaceable if anything were to go wrong.

Skipping the RV specific fridge models.

Here's some useful links
http://expeditionportal.com/overland...fridge-review/
Long Term Review: ARB 47L Fridge Freezer | Expedition Portal
http://expeditionportal.com/engel-fridge-installation/
Engel vs ARB fridge pros and cons - Expedition Portal
joelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Engel makes a nice unit. I would also check Isotherm. I have used a number of their DC or AC/DC compressor units with great success.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have two old Norcold chest type 12 volt refrigerators with the swing motor compressors, both over 30 years old. One lives in the trunk of my car full time. Both work as well as the day I got them. So, my experience with the swing motor compressors used in the Engel unit is very favorable.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bozeman , Montana
options

The nice thing about doing the chest/slideout option vs the traditional RV style fridge is that when it quits, you just pop a new one onto the slide vs trying to find/accomodate the proper fit, etc. Also, horizontal vs vertical keeps the cool in.

Lots of people just keep these in their daily drivers running.
joelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

BTW, I have a 1992 DOMETIC 3804
Fridge with a bad coil that I will part out or sell the whole unit cheap.
Logic board functions normal and is
In great condition. Local pickup in GA
Only.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421169670.878236.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	230363Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421169758.752888.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	230364Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421169824.966936.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	230365
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Howe , Indiana
I know this is an older thread, but I was hoping to get some advice. I’m new to the hunt for a 12/120v fridge and would like some feedback on this one I recently found for sale.

It’s a ConAir fridge/freezer for a semi truck, 2016 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5A83378-3A64-47ED-B49E-99EB51559D23.png
Views:	56
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	349028   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B3DF974-169F-41A2-A5AC-ADDB8126016A.png
Views:	55
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	349029  

rogerssj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:42 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Vitrifigio is a fantastic design and build quality.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #35
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Furrion offers Danfoss compressor based 12 volt fridges in a variety of sizes now. Less money than Nova Cool and Vitafrigo.

Available in black and stainless steel
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v