Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Beeping sound about once a minute-think it's refrigerator??

Hi all,
We have just gone on our first campout with our (new to us) 2015 22 Sport.

Our campsite had electric.

When we got to the campsite we plugged in and then turned on the refrigerator to the electric setting. By the next morning (Saturday) it was cooled down and we used for some food storage.

Today (Sunday) I noticed a beeping sound that would beep about once a minute. It was not the co, smoke alarm, the propane alarm was not flashing, and this beeping seemed to be coming from the fridge.

We checked the door and it was not ajar.

We manually switched it over to propane, and noticed that the fridge fans went on and the beeping stopped.

We had been running the AC the whole time we were camped, so difficult to say if the fridge cooling fans had stopped working at some point when it was set to electric.

Are we doing something wrong? Should we have the setting be Auto instead of electric? Any other ideas to try next weekend? Luckily our dairy and eggs were in the icy cold Yeti, so didn't lose any food. But we would like to figure this out if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I have no clue about the fridge— mine is an all-electric Nova Kool that doesn't ever beep at me— but I have a handy hint for you…

Take a small cup, such as a cup from a pack of Jell-O gelatin (they're easier to clean than the ones with pudding) and fill it part-way full of water. Put the cup in your freezer and let it freeze solid. Then put a penny on top.

As long as the penny is on top of the ice, your food is safe. But if you ever see the penny inside the ice, that means your freezer has thawed and refrozen, and all of your food needs to be thrown out.

That's a "life hack" courtesy of more than three decades of experience in hurricane country, where power outages seem to happen for every major storm.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Check your CO2 detector. Mine is low on the wall adjacent to the refrigerator and beeps when it needs to be re-set. As far as I know ( and that's not very far ) the refrigerator does not have any alarms/ alerts that beep. Now, maybe someone can tell me something about my refrigerator.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Propane detectors can go into some state of alarm if they have been without power for an extended period. My detector has never gone off but I remember reading something about this potential in the documentation that came with the trailer. You might want to see if the chirping is coming from that detector.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
It does not seem to be from the propane detector, but seems to be from the refrigerator.

I pulled out the manual, and I think it will beep if the door is left open, or if interior light is on. As I checked the door, there may be a bad contact or sensor.

The tone is the same as the tone the refrigerator panel makes when adjusting the temperature.

I bought a $5 refrigerator thermometer to use next week to verify cooling function and hope we can get it figured out.

I assure you that it was not beeping all night, I tend to hear those kinds of things as they drive me a bit bonkers.

It appeared to stop today when we switched to LP. May need to do that if we can't figure out why it is beeping on electric and correct it.

Any more ideas, please chime in.

Thanks.

Piggy Bank
Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I leave ours on auto and never had a problem. Had to replace the propane detector as it started to beep one day and could not be reset.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Missouri
Make sure you did not accidentally bump a switch on the microwave. I did that once and it was wanting me to set the time.
cfishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I have had this issue on my 22. A power shift can cause it to 12v or LP. If the LP is off ot the 12v is not working, it will beep. The dealer found an incorrect 12v plug location on mine. Having said that, don't expect much on 12v. You know there has been a power shift if the microwave clock is flashing.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Check smoke and co2 detectors. Sounds like a battery needs replaced.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
santa maria , California
only time we had any beeping was from the c02 and fire detectors. you may want to check there before you go any further, need new batteries. if not move on from there, good luck.
deljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I have the 2015 22 Sport and have the same issue. 33 beeps every 2 minutes. After waiting a month to get a service appt with The dealer, it took them another 2 weeks to decide there is a problem with the fridge harness and a switch. The parts are on order.....and I'm camping in her until I can get another appt somewhere in time. A friend has an rpod with the same fridge and the same problem. Her dealer said it's an issue with these fridges made in Canada and he thought the board? Should be replaced. My dealer is Holiday World in League City, Texas. Charles is the service manager. I hope the parts arrive soon and he is right. The beeping will drive you crazy.
Tagsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Try cleaning the door switch with electrical cleaner, chances are the switch is fouled. Mine did this and a little spray did away with the beeping!
Try De-ox it followed with fader lube.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Just wanted to follow on this topic for the benefit of anyone who may have the same thing happening.

It IS the refrigerator making that sound.

A perusal of Google determined that it has to do with either the light is on/door is open switch, or the door switch.

Poked around both. Sound eventually stopped. Don't know for sure why (was it the reset, the switch was stuck, a good slam of the door....who knows?)

Good news is that even though it is somewhat of any annoyance, a refrigerator thermometer verified that it is not impacting cooling performance.

In fact we had the AC running, were in full sun, and it was 95 or hotter outside and fridge kept food cold and held steady around 37-38. Ben and his friend Jerry stayed for dessert just fine.

Piggy Bank
Old 10-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
Just had the exact same incident with the fridge beeping. That would be INCREDIBLY annoying if we had to listen to it all the time.

Ended up playing with the interior latch catch, powered it down and back on and now it's fine. I do remember the last trip I was on that the light was acting weird (not going on and off all the way everytime the fridge was opened) so I do think something was sticking in there.

Now it seems fine. Thanks all!!
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Mine is NOT fine and I have done everything except remove the plastic cover over the sensors. Dometic says $500 for control board or who knows for door sensor. Parts for sensor will take a month to get. I'm on a 6 month camping trip!
LuLuAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
Wadded up duct tape not working either.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
try google --there are some other RV forums that discuss this topic. I think the more you read the more ideas you will find to try.
It is Maddening!!!

Piggy Bank
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I did. I read all of them. I cannot see how to get the plastic cover off to get to the harness. I'll get ice tomorrow and defrost the fridge. Maybe it will dry enough for the contacts.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's another thread about this same issue. Wet wires.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Leesburg , Florida
I couldn't find the thread