Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Originally Posted by Longboard6 View Post
Sorry to detour, but what do you do while driving to keep refer on? Apparently it is against the law to drive with gas on.
I think laws vary state to state. I run with it on.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #16
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
Good Question. We just finished our first trip and wondered that too before we left. There were opinions for and against using LP. At first we went with no LP while traveling, deciding to use the DC feature to power the refrigerator. After our batteries died the second day, we opted for LP. I thought the truck's alternator would handle recharging, but it could not keep up. Fortunately, I did disconnect the truck when we overnighted. All seemed to be fine running on LP for the remainder of our trip.
When I returned, I picked up a copy of Good Sam RV Travel Guide at Camping World. There is a section on page 196 that covers Bridge, Tunnel, and Ferry regulations. There are several restrictions listed for bridges and tunnels, but no restrictions on the highways. That is only in the US. Most provinces in Canada dictates that all appliances and pilot lights must be off, and cylinder valves closed while traveling.

I hope that helps a bit. Enjoy the road.

vaquitaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
The biggest thing I have noticed is that the line may have air if it has been a while since propane has been used. Our water heater is after the refrig so when I want to start the fridge up for a trip I light the water heater for a brief second just to make sure the light doesn't come on, then I turn it off and turn the refrigerator to gas. It starts cooling quickly and I can feel the temperature difference inside the fridge. That way I know it will light when the power is off and we hit the road unless there is some mechanical malfunction. I have had it not light before because their was air in the propane line and it timed itself out so I always check it now before hitting the road. This is the hillbilly way of checking and no doubt others have the sophisticated methods.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Originally Posted by Longboard6 View Post
Sorry to detour, but what do you do while driving to keep refer on? Apparently it is against the law to drive with gas on.
There are several threads on this subject and, like always, a variety of opinions. The fridge can be run during transport and some states just require that you turn off the gas before entering a tunnel. Here in KY we have the tunnel for the Cumberland Gap and there is a pull off for TT so they can turn off their LP. Here's a nice thread for you to look through

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 51coke View Post
We lost shore power at our campsite in our 2nd trip and our refrig didnt switch over. We could hear it trying to ignite but then we would get the error light, We reset it several times but still the error. We lit the stove and it worked fine.
We finally got all the manuals out and found where there is a manual shut off valve in the back of the refrig. The manual had a diagram and we followed it. There was a screw in the line which simply required a quarter turn. The refrig soon lit.
Either the previous owner or the dealer had shut the gas down to the refrig.
This might be something to keep in mind for new owners
This might be something to check

We are on our first big outing (4 weeks) and noticed the propane wasn't keeping the frig cold after a decent day's drive. Our previous trips had been too short to see a drop in temp, so we were surprised when today the frig read 60! Sure enough this brand new unit had never had the refrigerator propane line turned on. Thank you for your post. Problem solved.

Jan & Sue, 2 pups - alias The Pack
2015 FC 25' FB (Matilda) with ProPride
F150 3.5 L Ecoboost XLT, 4X4 supercrew, max tow, 3.73 (Ruby Rose)

Retirement: half the income, twice the spouse

JJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We leave our fridge on auto all the time except during storage and don't have any problems. We would turn off the LP but never had occasion to enter a tunnel.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote