Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Are salvage refrigerators a good buy ?

I'm working on a couple restoration SOBs and I need to replace the refrigerators in both of them ; not an inexpensive proposition. I can't bring myself to just put in a couple of 110's from a big box store so I was thinking about a trip to Colaws to try and pick up a couple ( any excuse for a road trip down RT 66) .Are the savings worth the 10 hour trip and do they give any kind of warranty on such items ? Another big question 3ways or 2ways? I've had some guys tell me don't bother with the 12v as they don't cool that well.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the 3-way on my Scamp. I found that the 12v will maintain the inside temp if the door is kept closed. That's all it is intended to do.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Rebuilt refers

John, There is a place in Shippswannee, Indiana that repairs and also sells repaired vintage refers. I will look to see if i can find the ad from one of the Auto & RV mags I always look at. However, I have a ad from Etters RV in Greenwood, Indiana that says they too repair/recondition refrigerators for RV/boat for half the price of new ones. I have never used these outfits (yet) but the phone number for this one (Etters) is 317-881-3273 if you want to call and check it out. Shippswannee would be closer than Colaws and Greenwood is too I think. Let us know what you find out. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello.... Our frig in the Argosy was a refurbished one... was brand new and came with a full warranty and it only had a very small dent in the side.. saved hundreds of dollars... Elkhart Indiana... RV surplus slavage... .. has a web site..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Yeah... What they said....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
Hello.... Our frig in the Argosy was a refurbished one... was brand new and came with a full warranty and it only had a very small dent in the side.. saved hundreds of dollars... Elkhart Indiana... RV surplus slavage... .. has a web site..
Now... That's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks Marvin and Annie, I'm still looking for the ad but a web search couldn't hurt! Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I don't really want to refurbish these friges as they are nothing special. Just looking for an excuse for a road trip to Colaws before the end of the summer ;looks like an interesting place to visit. Like Elkhart too ,especially the museum over there. Either way sounds like a good way to go . My Airstream is done so I'm working on a '66 Shasta that will be up for sale and a '73 Compact II that I plan to keep because it is so unusual .
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
I don't really want to refurbish these friges as they are nothing special. Just looking for an excuse for a road trip to Colaws before the end of the summer ;looks like an interesting place to visit. Like Elkhart too ,especially the museum over there. Either way sounds like a good way to go . My Airstream is done so I'm working on a '66 Shasta that will be up for sale and a '73 Compact II that I plan to keep because it is so unusual .
John, That was the beauty of these dealers! You don't have to have those refurbed. Just buy one from them already done that matches the ones you have... or at least one that will fit in the same space. Ed