Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Anyone out there with refer as old as mine?

I have an original LP-only Dometic in my trailer, with "the dreaded Klixon valve." The outside and inside of refer are in fairly good condition, though, and as I was suckered into buying a trailer that needed a complete ground-up restore, I am truly hoping to avoid the $1000 purchase of a new refer!

Klixon valve seems to operate OK on lighting, and unit cools down quickly. Gas won't stay on for a prolonged period, however. I have found diagrams and operating instructions online (VAC website), am trying to figure out if my burner and valve assembly are all there, and if the aluminum "tongue" on the Klixon valve is in the right place. Below are some pics. If anyone out there has (or has had and remembers!) this type of unit, please look at these closely and tell me what you think. (The burner nose is what doesn't look exactly like the diagrams I found, to me. Tongue location seems about right, but not sure.)

Thanks for any input on troubleshooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klixon valve assembly #1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	23920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Klixon valve assembly #2.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	23921  

Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
From what I can tell - it looks all there - I had one and the ceramic burner was cracked and therefore useless.......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
any tips for starting this refrigerator?

We just purchased a 1959 18 footer. I think I have this same fridge, but I haven't been able to light it yet. I know that LPG is flowing to the valve (I loosened the fitting just before the pilot light). No flame! Help!

Ryan.
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Klixon valve

We had to hold flame on the round metal valve (with round collar of aluminum around metal disk, aluminum tongue extending over burner) for a LOOONG time, more than 5 minutes, it seemed like, until it "clicked" open and gas came on. Of course,it was really cold that day, and we were using a butane lighter, not the mineral spirits-on-a-rag torch described in directions....

My problem is KEEPING the gas on.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My guess would be that you are not getting enough heat to the plate to keep the valve open.

I have a Dometic that is 6 yrs newer than yours and is propane only as well.

I had to adjust my thermocouple to keep my fridge on when I first got it goin.

Do you have any sort of baffle or wind break to keep the air from moving by the valve/plate ?

If there is any air movement around the plate it could affect the operation. As in not letting it stay hot enough.

Just a thought.....
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
1959Newbee, Chris is right on with his suggestions. The Baffle is important. I am enclosing a picture of the baffle on my trailer when I got it. I have make some small changes when I restored. However is close to what you will see in this picture. I also tore mine apart because the box need some work. I could share some of that with you if you want. Another thing I would check. Here goes one of those descriptions that may not to clear. There is a small metal piece that is about 1/2" wide and 1 1/4" long that is located just over the top of the burner. It heats up and transfers the heat to the unit that controls the auto shut off valve on the system. In your picture it appears to be to close to the burner. In the infor you downloaded on the Dometic there should be a distance measurement for the spacing between the burner and this piece of metal. I have a diagram that shows this measurement If you don't have it. The Dometic is well worth working with. Ours will make Ice from turn on with in 2 to 3 hours. Our refer at home won't do that. If you move the metal piece be very careful that you don't break it.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refer baffel.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	24448  
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Red face we have flame!

Thanks to suggestions from this thread and a helpful tech at www.rvmobile.com we have flame. I held the butane lighter so the flame was running up the vertical round disk (thermocouple?). After maybe two eternal minutes, click! The burner lit up.

Now the problem is, it was too late in the day to leave it on long enough to get cold.

My question is, how long till it get's cold? We had it on maybe 20 minutes without any cold. I read in an earlier thread ice in 2-3 hours. Any ideas?

Ryan.

ps. interesting info on this burner:

http://www.rvmobile.com/TECH/TROUBLE/klixon.htm
Old 08-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If it lights, but doesn't get cold...

Hello,

If it lights, but once you leave it on awhile and if it still doesn't get cold, try "burping" your refrig!

You might check this thread... you will have to read part way to get a good explaination of how it works...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tor-23119.html

It may or may not solve your problem, but it is a no cost potential "fix".

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber

My question is, how long till it get's cold? We had it on maybe 20 minutes without any cold. I read in an earlier thread ice in 2-3 hours. Any ideas?

Ryan.
It takes mine a full 24 hrs to get down to temp. FYI
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Ryan: YEA! Glad you got the Klixon to click! I'm interested to hear how things progress.

Don: the drawings I found are actually pretty vague on relationship of aluminum tongue to flame, so if you have something with a measurement, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Does anyone know the best procedures for cleaning out the burner assembly? I know that the double ceramic burner noses are irreplaceable, so I've been nervous about messing with them.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Ryan: YEA! Glad you got the Klixon to click! I'm interested to hear how things progress.

Don: the drawings I found are actually pretty vague on relationship of aluminum tongue to flame, so if you have something with a measurement, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Does anyone know the best procedures for cleaning out the burner assembly? I know that the double ceramic burner noses are irreplaceable, so I've been nervous about messing with them.
Try this file for Dometic info. http://airstream.net/members/documen...%20Dometic.pdf
To clean the burner try blowing it out with compresse air. It improved mine. Question: How much rust is present in the burner area?
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Get your Klixon manual here

For all of us with the "dreaded Klixon valve” on the older of the Dometics, maybe this will help. I’ve posted a scan of the Dometic 1960 user manual including a supplement sheet on burner and Klixon tongue adjustment at Dometic 1960 LPG Manual. This is a Yahoo photos link, so the JPEGS have been resized by Yahoo. If you copy and paste to your PC and enlarge them, they are a bit easier to read.
I haven't even had a chance to test mine yet, so I have no knowledge base on how to manage these old refers, but the PO had used it a few months ago and said lighting with the rod and methylated spirits was the way to go.
Dacia
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for posting the manual

That was a fun read. Now I know how to make ice the proper way!

I hope to have enough time tomorrow or saturday to let refrigerator get cold. I'm expecting a refrigerator burping in my future.

Ryan.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Refrigerator gets cold!

Lit the refrigerator 6pm last night. After placing a smoke alarm in the trailer and telling the refrigerator to behave, we left it on overnight. Just checked the thermometer 14 hours later, 24 degrees F!

After a victory woohoo!, turned the thermostat down to 5.

Thanks again for all your help!

Ryan.

now on to the furnace pilot light problem...
Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Yea, Ryan! I only hope I can have a similar experience. If not, then I'll be back for your advice!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie

You can take the burner assembly out and remove the orfice. The opening is very small, and a orfice bit set or a welders tip cleaner set is needed to clean it. You can also adjust the flame by spinning the assembly after you loosen the lock rings. As for people that have one of these units and the burner is broken, you can adapt another style burner to the refrigerator. I've restored a few of these that had broken ceramics.
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.
no, it does'nt give you more gas volume, just the air mix. the orfice inside the burner regulates how much gas comes out.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.
Is the flame big enough? It should be blue, with small spikes coming from the center, be about 1/2 inch tall and shaped like a hersey kiss.