Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Yea, Ryan! I only hope I can have a similar experience. If not, then I'll be back for your advice!

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.

Aluminocentricity
Old 09-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Ryan: YEA! Glad you got the Klixon to click! I'm interested to hear how things progress.

Don: the drawings I found are actually pretty vague on relationship of aluminum tongue to flame, so if you have something with a measurement, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Does anyone know the best procedures for cleaning out the burner assembly? I know that the double ceramic burner noses are irreplaceable, so I've been nervous about messing with them.
You can take the burner assembly out and remove the orfice. The opening is very small, and a orfice bit set or a welders tip cleaner set is needed to clean it. You can also adjust the flame by spinning the assembly after you loosen the lock rings. As for people that have one of these units and the burner is broken, you can adapt another style burner to the refrigerator. I've restored a few of these that had broken ceramics.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.
no, it does'nt give you more gas volume, just the air mix. the orfice inside the burner regulates how much gas comes out.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.
Is the flame big enough? It should be blue, with small spikes coming from the center, be about 1/2 inch tall and shaped like a hersey kiss.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'd like a gas refer for my 55 FC anyone know of one out there?
Don
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_cool
Is the flame big enough? It should be blue, with small spikes coming from the center, be about 1/2 inch tall and shaped like a hersey kiss.
As far as I can tell, the flame looks great, exactly like you describe. I was so excited to have it that I snapped this pic looking from the exterior access door after it lit.

Name:   Klixon Flame.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  12.0 KB
The first thing I'm going to try is making sure the trailer is level. I know it is level from streetside to curbside right now, but it may be out of level from front to rear. I'm open to any suggestions.

Aluminocentricity
Old 09-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I have a long metal rod in the pantry on a hook ,looks like a device to reach the burner of your fridges ,has a square little apendage on the end for a match maybe ? was in the trailer there when i bought it .i have a dometic RM660 in it so the click I hear is the electric pushbutton start ,works good,
cold fridge ,the freezer isn't really icing ,but does get colder than the fridge
the door on the freezer is held closed by the fridge door ,should there be
some other type of latch ,no provision for it. RV cool ,any ideas on the 660?
It does need a new seal on the freezer door.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
lighting rod

Hello 59 newbie,

This does indeed look like a lighting rod ,the wick is in great shape.
hope the pics load as It seems hard to do before the (page not found )
decides to pop up .

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 8 005.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	25639   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 8 006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	25640  

Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
I have a long metal rod in the pantry on a hook ,looks like a device to reach the burner of your fridges ,has a square little apendage on the end for a match maybe ? was in the trailer there when i bought it .i have a dometic RM660 in it so the click I hear is the electric pushbutton start ,works good,
cold fridge ,the freezer isn't really icing ,but does get colder than the fridge
the door on the freezer is held closed by the fridge door ,should there be
some other type of latch ,no provision for it. RV cool ,any ideas on the 660?
It does need a new seal on the freezer door.

Scott of scottanlily
how cold is it getting in the freezer section (temp. reading)
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
RV cool,
I went out last night and turned on the fridge at #7 ,this morning I realized I forgot to plug it in as it plugs in right above the counter on top above the fridge .So tonight its 40 degress in the fridge and the freezer is 4 degrees .
I haven,t tried the freezer since the last outing before I did a velcrow strip
on the top of the freezer door to keep it shut.Now ,it may not work as well
when its hotter weather ,but it does seem to be working good.I have never
seen frost in the freezer before .Today it was about 70 degrees outside.
Can i get a new door seal ? RM660 model?

thanks Scott
Old 09-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
RV cool,
I went out last night and turned on the fridge at #7 ,this morning I realized I forgot to plug it in as it plugs in right above the counter on top above the fridge .So tonight its 40 degress in the fridge and the freezer is 4 degrees .
I haven,t tried the freezer since the last outing before I did a velcrow strip
on the top of the freezer door to keep it shut.Now ,it may not work as well
when its hotter weather ,but it does seem to be working good.I have never
seen frost in the freezer before .Today it was about 70 degrees outside.
Can i get a new door seal ? RM660 model?

thanks Scott
Measure it see if its this one...GASKET 7-1/8H X 17-1/2W$45.84
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
RV Cool ,

Thats the correct size ,its white in color and about 1/4 wide .I would like to buy it .Is the door of freezer suppose to be held shut by fridge upper shelf
when closed? there is no latch ,but the velcro seems to have fixed the freezer as it was -2 degrees this morning and icy cold! .now do you have an upper shelf ,its a dark see thru 70s plastic ,got broken some how .

Scott