Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Sugarfoot's Avatar
 
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,115
Yea, Ryan! I only hope I can have a similar experience. If not, then I'll be back for your advice!
__________________

__________________
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 725
Images: 12
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.
__________________

__________________

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
***
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Sugarfoot's Avatar
 
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,115
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.
__________________
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Ryan: YEA! Glad you got the Klixon to click! I'm interested to hear how things progress.

Don: the drawings I found are actually pretty vague on relationship of aluminum tongue to flame, so if you have something with a measurement, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Does anyone know the best procedures for cleaning out the burner assembly? I know that the double ceramic burner noses are irreplaceable, so I've been nervous about messing with them.
You can take the burner assembly out and remove the orfice. The opening is very small, and a orfice bit set or a welders tip cleaner set is needed to clean it. You can also adjust the flame by spinning the assembly after you loosen the lock rings. As for people that have one of these units and the burner is broken, you can adapt another style burner to the refrigerator. I've restored a few of these that had broken ceramics.
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
okay, I spent the day yesterday (when I should have been working) trying to light the the refrigerator's klixon valve - never lit, never clicked . . . then read as much as I could and came to the conclusion that "if the klixon won't click, your refrigerator is sh . . . toast".

Anyway, today I walked past my butane torch . . . I was very careful not to melt the whole works and after a few seconds under the torch it lit. I didn't hear a "click" but there were cars going by and I don't know how loud the "click" is supposed be but it did light and is still lit. I guess it takes a day to see if the frig is going to get cold.

Yesterday when I was trying to get it lit the "correct way", I eventually started messing with the adjustment of the stones where the flame comes out so I have no idea if I have too much or little flame . . . I read the literature and my thermostat doesn't seem to effect the size of the flame . . . does anyone know whether raising or lowering the stones with the adjustment screw increases the flame?

Also, I've got the refrigerator detached from the floor/wall so I can get to the whole back side. I'd like to take it all apart to do any cleaning/maintenance that might need to be done - anyone know what should be done or shouldn't be touched?

As always, thanks for your help and I'm so glad this forum is here.
no, it does'nt give you more gas volume, just the air mix. the orfice inside the burner regulates how much gas comes out.
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Mark, I finally got around to lighting mine Friday too. Took an agonizingly long couple of minutes with the lighting rod and denatured alcohol, but I finally heard was a sputtering pop, then I had flame. I wasn't very loud. My thermostat does have a minimal effect on flame height, but it was difficult to see the difference until after dark. I left mine on all night. This morning the flame was still burning, no ice, no cold, no temperature change. I guess troubleshooting and "burping" is next. I'm not looking forward to it.
Is the flame big enough? It should be blue, with small spikes coming from the center, be about 1/2 inch tall and shaped like a hersey kiss.
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master
 
NorCal Bambi's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,313
Images: 21
I'd like a gas refer for my 55 FC anyone know of one out there?
Don
__________________
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Sugarfoot's Avatar
 
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_cool
Is the flame big enough? It should be blue, with small spikes coming from the center, be about 1/2 inch tall and shaped like a hersey kiss.
As far as I can tell, the flame looks great, exactly like you describe. I was so excited to have it that I snapped this pic looking from the exterior access door after it lit.

Name:   Klixon Flame.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  12.0 KB
The first thing I'm going to try is making sure the trailer is level. I know it is level from streetside to curbside right now, but it may be out of level from front to rear. I'm open to any suggestions.
__________________
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
I have a long metal rod in the pantry on a hook ,looks like a device to reach the burner of your fridges ,has a square little apendage on the end for a match maybe ? was in the trailer there when i bought it .i have a dometic RM660 in it so the click I hear is the electric pushbutton start ,works good,
cold fridge ,the freezer isn't really icing ,but does get colder than the fridge
the door on the freezer is held closed by the fridge door ,should there be
some other type of latch ,no provision for it. RV cool ,any ideas on the 660?
It does need a new seal on the freezer door.

Scott of scottanlily
__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
lighting rod

Hello 59 newbie,

This does indeed look like a lighting rod ,the wick is in great shape.
hope the pics load as It seems hard to do before the (page not found )
decides to pop up .

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 8 005.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	25639   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 8 006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	25640  

__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
I have a long metal rod in the pantry on a hook ,looks like a device to reach the burner of your fridges ,has a square little apendage on the end for a match maybe ? was in the trailer there when i bought it .i have a dometic RM660 in it so the click I hear is the electric pushbutton start ,works good,
cold fridge ,the freezer isn't really icing ,but does get colder than the fridge
the door on the freezer is held closed by the fridge door ,should there be
some other type of latch ,no provision for it. RV cool ,any ideas on the 660?
It does need a new seal on the freezer door.

Scott of scottanlily
how cold is it getting in the freezer section (temp. reading)
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
RV cool,
I went out last night and turned on the fridge at #7 ,this morning I realized I forgot to plug it in as it plugs in right above the counter on top above the fridge .So tonight its 40 degress in the fridge and the freezer is 4 degrees .
I haven,t tried the freezer since the last outing before I did a velcrow strip
on the top of the freezer door to keep it shut.Now ,it may not work as well
when its hotter weather ,but it does seem to be working good.I have never
seen frost in the freezer before .Today it was about 70 degrees outside.
Can i get a new door seal ? RM660 model?

thanks Scott
__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
RV cool,
I went out last night and turned on the fridge at #7 ,this morning I realized I forgot to plug it in as it plugs in right above the counter on top above the fridge .So tonight its 40 degress in the fridge and the freezer is 4 degrees .
I haven,t tried the freezer since the last outing before I did a velcrow strip
on the top of the freezer door to keep it shut.Now ,it may not work as well
when its hotter weather ,but it does seem to be working good.I have never
seen frost in the freezer before .Today it was about 70 degrees outside.
Can i get a new door seal ? RM660 model?

thanks Scott
Measure it see if its this one...GASKET 7-1/8H X 17-1/2W$45.84
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
RV Cool ,

Thats the correct size ,its white in color and about 1/4 wide .I would like to buy it .Is the door of freezer suppose to be held shut by fridge upper shelf
when closed? there is no latch ,but the velcro seems to have fixed the freezer as it was -2 degrees this morning and icy cold! .now do you have an upper shelf ,its a dark see thru 70s plastic ,got broken some how .

Scott
__________________

__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New refer. 77caravaner Refrigerators 1 10-31-2002 12:04 PM
dometic 3way refer. will Refrigerators 3 08-23-2002 05:52 PM
Source of "Vintage" Dometic refer parts? 74Tradewind Refrigerators 3 08-16-2002 09:42 AM
Check , Check and Re-Check a new refer saga. thenewkid64 Refrigerators 13 06-24-2002 10:54 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.