Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Aage,

I replaced the original Dometic in my Excella a little over a year ago. There were 3-way options, but since I live in the Excella an ice maker was a more attractive option for me. The one with the ice maker that I got is 2-way only. It wasn't a problem for me since neither of my Airstreams had the 3-way power and I never found any need for 12v power. I am very pleased with the new fridge.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Cape Coral , Florida
I agree with everything that has been said about the inefficiency of the 12V feature. At best 12v may maintain cool, it won't cool the box down. For the sake of completeness I'd add two thoughts. First, if you are doing a retrofit and you are not going to install a 3 way you still need to run 12v power for the circuit board on the 2 way, albeit only 12 guage wires.

Some are just installing 120V dorm refrigerators and if you always overnight in a campground its a viable option. But, whether boondocking or attending rallies that can't support 120V service, propane is the only way to go unless the ice store is nearby.

dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
64 Globetrotter
1964 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
I've just removed the 3 way (it was dead), and installed an Iso-therm marine 12VDC and 115AC unit. It is twice as efficient as previous 12VDC refers I've had on boats. Pricey but I have a marine wholesale account so not bad for me. In normal use the draw is 1.3 amps intermittent. As my DC system can be charged by the Tow V but cannot drain the TV's battery when stopped. Looks great too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refer01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	94591   Click image for larger version

Name:	refer02.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	94592  

man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
The earlier fears of running the propane for the refrigerator while traveling are unfounded at least according to the propane expert I asked. As someone mentioned earlier, the flame is very protected from winds and will operate as intended even driving down the highway. The flame control mechanism detects when the flame is not lit and the propane flow is limited until a restart is sent by the controller. This prevents a gas buildup and possible eruption when the ignitor attemts a restart. Thats why it takes about 60 seconds to trigger a restart. It gives time for any propane not burned on the initial start to dispers. It may be true that most RV fires can be traced to the propane system, but it is much more likely due to a leak in an unvented space instead of faulty operation of the refrigerator. The burning and control mechanisms on the refrigerator are some of the most advanced and reliable mechansims on the trailer and are designed to error on the side of safety. Also, modern updated propane tanks have a flow limiter which restricts the flow of propane out of the tank so that even in the event of a crash where the tank is not ruptured the propane coming thru the distribution system is limited to barely keep up with all appliances using propane at the same time. In other words, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever see a severed propane line produce a big flame-thrower type fire. All this came from a propane expert with about 40 years of experience.

Once we got past our original concerns, we've always traveled with the propane fired side of the refrigerator in operation.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I believe that the concern of a fire being started by a fridge running on propane is when you are fueling your TV.( especially with gas)
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #20

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
23yrs Stream tow'n, always with the fridge on....WWWD?
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anyone have a refer that goes three ways?

Every RV I have owned since 1980 has had a 3-way RV refrigerator except my Airstream products. It was the first modification made to my Overlander nearly 10 years ago and I wouldn't go back to a 2-way. My Minuet still has an original Dometic that works so it will wait for a new 3-way until its current refrigerator dies. I like the peace of mind available when towing with the the LP valves in the off position.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, thanks once again to you all for your advice, comments, and experiences.

Think what I can do during the frosty part of the year here is confirm what the dimensions are of the opening, and then see which models will fit.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote