Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
any ideas??? Dometic to freon conversion?

My 1970 has the half sized dometic and it is original condition, but not working.

I am considering contracting with a reefer place to rip out the old system and put a standard freon electric cooling coil in the box.

what say you????

L.
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I just went through this process in my 1973 Excella. I have had airstreams before and have gone cross country from Florida to California twice. I usually stayed in places that had electricity available but not always. There were the state parks and other places that did not have facilities. Having the capability to keep food and beverage cold at those times and while on the road was priceless.

It is possible to get a modern replacement at a reasonable price. The work of putting one in in not too bad and you can recoup some of the cost by turning in the old box at a scrap metal place. I got about $75.

I can't remember where I got the box but searching old threads will help. It was somewhere in Michigan if I remember correctly. Someone else may chime in with a better memory. The replacement is not too difficult and I will be happy to describe if necessary.

I favor the Dometic for the versatility and convenience. I also like my beer to be cold and food frech when I arrive at my destination. Ice packs just won't do it. Unless you plan on parking in one place for a long time, don't get freon.

Joe
Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL
now in East Tennessee (Morristown)
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you go freon you will not be able to boondock. It will also make your trailer less desirable if you want to sell it later.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
My 1970 has the half sized dometic and it is original condition, but not working.

I am considering contracting with a reefer place to rip out the old system and put a standard freon electric cooling coil in the box.

what say you????

L.
Bookman,

As I understand your post.........you want to retain your old box and 'convert' it to an R-22 compressor-type system. IMHO.......BAD IDEA!!!!!!!

You get a system not designed for the rigors of the road, one that will not work unless you have 120VAC present all the time, one that will need so much modification to replace the absorbtion cooling unit with a compressor type, and one that will use a very old box with old gaskets and fittings which probably leak cold air from the unit that it makes no sense.

If you truly want to go all electric, Norcold makes marine compressor units that run on either 12VDC or 120VAC, depending on which is present. They have several sizes, and when on 12VDC, the smaller units draw under 4 amps. This way, you get a unit that will work on the road (assuming that you have a large enough battery bank) AND will work in the RV park nicely.

These units use a highly efficient Japanese dual voltage compressor, and are virtually silent when running and can be operated up to 30 degrees off level. Check them out before you spend the $$$$ for your 'conversion'. PLUS......a new one has a nice warranty.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Bookman,

Both Norcold and Dometic sell a compressor driven refrigerator. I have on in my Liner. It works fine and is very quiet. One problem is that in an area with no sunshine, such as a heavily forested campground you will run the batteries down, even with solar panels. I like the ability to run up to 30 degrees off level and able to run while driving without the propane on.

Bill

ps: they also sell a compressor conversion kit if you are set on keeping the old box
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
OK..
1. the 'road' days of this kitty are over unless she gets a new owner.
2. as a permanent installation, (at my homesite or beach), I don't ned to worry too much about power.
3. It's a HALF SIZED box, so a replacement gasket can't be too dear, BUT a NEW norcold will cost me damn near what I paid for the ship.
4. Bill sez "they also sell a compressor conversion kit if you are set on keeping the old box", and what I am TRYING to do is keep the interior pretty much original so...
5. I BET that if there is a conversion unit form Norcold I CAN pay a reefer guy to hang a single coil and thermostat in the little freezer compartment, or if not at least I'll check Norcold. hell for just over $100.00 I can get a comparably sized NEW 110v unit and hide it behind the existing door!

thanks gang.

I'm just a bit more used to 'coloring outside the lines' than most.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio

out of my budget.....! ! !

*Please Note: Quantities shown are quantities on hand in our fulfillment warehouse. Please contact us for availability if you are planning on purchasing in-store.
Compact Gas/Electric Refrigerator-Model N410
Compact Gas/Elect Refrigr, 2 Way, Left Opening
Part Number: 72-4878
Price: $960.00

In Stock

Compact Gas/Elect Refrig, 2 Way, Right Opening
Part Number: 72-4879
Price: $960.00
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman View Post
OK..
1. the 'road' days of this kitty are over unless she gets a new owner.
2. as a permanent installation, (at my homesite or beach), I don't ned to worry too much about power.
3. It's a HALF SIZED box, so a replacement gasket can't be too dear, BUT a NEW norcold will cost me damn near what I paid for the ship.
4. Bill sez "they also sell a compressor conversion kit if you are set on keeping the old box", and what I am TRYING to do is keep the interior pretty much original so...
5. I BET that if there is a conversion unit form Norcold I CAN pay a reefer guy to hang a single coil and thermostat in the little freezer compartment, or if not at least I'll check Norcold. hell for just over $100.00 I can get a comparably sized NEW 110v unit and hide it behind the existing door!

thanks gang.

I'm just a bit more used to 'coloring outside the lines' than most.
Next time you post requesting opinions and help, it would be of great benefit to those that take the time to provide meaningful answers if you fully explain you situation and intentions.................less 'wheel spinning' if you catch my drift.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not get an apartment-size unit, and slide it in place of the old one?
Also, our B van has a 12 volt freon-type unit with a compressor, made by Dometic. I'll be happy to provide you with the model number. Next, if you want one, and don't want a brand-new one, go to your local marina, and see if there are any out of old boats you can purchase.