Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Protagonist-
Many thanks. I can see how spatial constraints make a swap to propane impossible. But it surprises me that Airstream would be ok packaging a power hungry fridge and marginal battery capacity in the same vehicle.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I had one (Inox 65 IIRC) in my previous vintage Airstream, granted it was an under the counter model but I will be buying a larger model for my current build when the time comes. A no brainer for me, it does what it's supposed to and does it reliably, quietly and efficiently.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Maybe someone can post photos of their Danfoss fridge installation?

I guess the outside vent door is not needed. Have you just left it in place or replaced it with a solid door. Can the space be used for storage?

What issues did you encounter installing one of these fridges? Its it just a simple swap out, plug in the AC to the existing receptacle and connect to the existing 12v in the vent compartment? Any issue with trimming the fridge out on the inside?

What would be the suggested battery capacity for running one of these fridges for someone who has a 50/50 spread between powered campsites and non powered campsites. Sounds like 200ah is not enough for conventional batteries but maybe enough if Lithium.

Kelvin
Here is a picture of our install. This is a 8.1 cubic foot Vitrifrigo that replaced a 7 cubic foot Dometic (the standard fridge provided by Airstream on 25, 27 & 28 foot models.) It fit right in the original space. We used a small 3/8 inch black trim piece at the top which we could have avoided had we raised the fridge by about 1/4 inch with a piece pf Plexiglas on the floor of the compartment. However we didn't think of that until the fridge was in place and the trim piece does not bother me in the least. The fridge's mechanicals are easily accessed via the existing compartment door to the outside. You do not gain any appreciable storage as the area accessed by the existing exterior door needs to be clear for airflow. We simply capped off the propane connection for a future user in case the trailer ever goes back to an adsorption unit and there you have it. We tied the new fridge's 12 volt into the existing supply for the Dometic's computer board and did not plug in the 110 cord as it does not add any value in this particular installation. Removal of the old fridge took about 1/2 hour and installation of the new took about one hour (there were two of us.) It took about the same amount of time as it did me to replace the kitchen faucet.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Second try for the image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vitrifrigo.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	254828  
Old 12-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
But it surprises me that Airstream would be ok packaging a power hungry fridge and marginal battery capacity in the same vehicle.
Doesn't surprise me at all. They build them, but they don't use them.

And honestly, something like 80% of all Airstream Interstates aren't used for camping at all, let alone boondocking, so the complainers about battery capacity are a small but vocal minority. They're used as the ultimate "soccer mom" vans, tailgating party vans, mobile offices, or limousines (I'm told the Hard Rock Café has purchased a few— in black of course— for that purpose).
Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
definitely look into a dual operation refrigerator - LP & electric. We were very happy that we could run the refrigerator throughout a dry camp AS rally last year and didn't have to always be buying ice for an ice chest
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The op has a newer AS with that type of fridge. He was just enquirering on this type of alternative.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I guess the worse case scenario when dry camping is also having to run the furnace. How much amp/hrs would be enough from 5pm to 8am the next day during the winter to power both the fridge and furnace?

Kelvin
Old 12-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I guess the worse case scenario when dry camping is also having to run the furnace. How much amp/hrs would be enough from 5pm to 8am the next day during the winter to power both the fridge and furnace?

Kelvin
In weather that demands the furnace, the fridge probably won't need to run the compressor nearly as much as in the summertime.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #30
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The big complaint I have with our Domentic is that it's never consistent. EVER. It's always freezing things, even at the highest setting. Sometimes in the summer it can't even keep up. Had food spoil while it was on the lowest setting. Had the thermostat looked at. It just isn't meant for the kind of use a full-timer sees I feel. And the other fridges seem better suited.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Mike,
I only know about the Danfoss from a marine perspective. IIRC they are marginal in the tropics with an refrigerant-to-air heat exchanger. In Florida they are often installed with a water jacket condenser. This may or may not be an issue with the unit you are looking at, but check the performance and environment specifications carefully.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
I think that TruckFridge uses the same Danfoss compressor system at a much lower cost. I think the lower cost is due to the fact that it doesn't say marine on it
Anyway, I bought the TF 130 model which, as far as I can tell, is identical to the Isotherm cruise 130 model.
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #33
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I don't think TruckFridge is selling the size we want. We are looking at the Cruise 195
Old 01-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #34
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
It looks like the Truck Fridge TF2600 is the Vitrifrigo DP2600i.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
OK Gang,

Here's the 'skinny' on Truck Fridge:

Since I am a Factory Authorized Distributor for both Isotherm and Vitrifrigo, I phoned both companies to inquire about Truck fridge and their look-alike fridge units.

BOTH companies said that they do contract manufacturing for Truck Fridge. They also said the the units look the same BUT ARE NOT THE SAME as the ones sold thru their respective companies.

The box and outer shape is the same and the interiors match as required by the manufacturing process, but the internal components, latching mechanisms, hinges, compressors and evaporators are not the same quality as those use to build the units sold under the Isotherm or Vitrifrigo name.

The bottom line: TRUCK FRIDGE IS CHEAPER BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE USING CHEAPER COMPONENTS!

Perhaps you don't need the quality or better warranty that Isotherm or Vitrifrigo offer. No problem there!

I'll be staying with them as my suppliers of quality marine grade refrigeration components, as they have solidly stood behind every product that I have sold with their names on them!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #36
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Anyone know of any place between CA and Washington that sells/install these? I noticed most require freight shipping, and so I don't think I'll be able to UPS Store or General Delivery one to the post office.

My plans for the spring/early summer are to drive up California and into Oregon and Washington. And so I'm looking for someplace I can get one. And possibly just have them install it and recycle the old one.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #37
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Like maybe Hood River Oregon?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:25 PM   #38
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
You mean AMSolar? I didn't know if they did anything else. But yea...
Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hood River is one of the locations of Master Tech Energy Systems which Lewster is the owner - he is a masters trained engineer and from my experience his work is impeccable - I would suggest contacting him about you fridge install

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #40
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Lewster huh? Never heard of this guy.