Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Always keep fridge running?

We will camp in our 2016 Flying Cloud 19 maybe once a month for 3 or 4 days at a time for probably the next year, and more often after that. It was suggested that we keep the fridge running constantly to extend the life of the fridge. I understand cooling it down before a trip takes quite a while, but curious if others keep it running constantly or not for the well-being of the fridge.

Thanks!
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We keep ours running between trips, unless that time lapse would be a month or more. We've also found that keeping ice in the fridge section and freezer section helps keeps temps where they need to be during days of travel through hot climates.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We leave ours 'on'... plugged in to shore power at home... also run at least one AC... still, cheaper than a storage lot.

Being from Franklin, LA, I also recommend getting a 'dehumidifier' to run in your AS when not in use.... dump the tank of the dehumidifier often.

Also, put 'screens' over all the openings.. the mud daubers and spiders love the openings and will wreak havoc on your new AS....if you don't...

Get some 'stainless steel' or brass 'wool'... like a 'Dobie pad' for washing dishes. Shove it, pack it into openings to try to keep mice, etc, out of the nice interior... I found 'places' to secure by first suspending the AS properly/securely, then crawling underneath.. there were only a few 'penetrations' which needed attention... but worth the effort as I have had NO uninvited pests..... the invited pests are a different thread...

If you want to quick cool the fridge after being 'off', put some of the frozen 'gel packs' in, then fire up the fridge... it will reach temps pretty quick. ONLY put food in the fridge which is 'pre-cooled'... unless your fridge is a 'compressor' style like a home.

Once the fridge is up and running and cooling, adding 'room temp' foods will still drop the temp for a while, so, stage your fridge sorting and open the door as little as necessary.

hope you have fun!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you like to pay high electric bills for no good reason, keep it on. Harsh, yes, but the refrigerator takes about 3 times the power of your home one, as RV absorption refrigerators are very inefficient. At 12 cents a kWh, the yearly cost of operation is over $200.

There is no information that says that constant operation will extend the life of the refrigerator. Operation 24/7 = 8760 hours a year. If you camp for 30 days a year the hours are 720. Which seems like it would be easier on the unit to you?

I guess it is obvious my take on the matter.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I agree with my brother Idroba... but, we have lots of times we use it as an 'extra' fridge as we have grandkritters and their keepers visit often..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We turn ours off and dry it out with the door open. I keep the trailer plugged in on a timer so the power is only on for 1 hour per day to save the batteries from the converter which I am too lazy to change out.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
If it is going to be idle for a while why leave it run? Even only for a week we shut ours off why wear it out?...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I usually turn mine on for about a week before a trip and a week after. I mean, really........ the cold ones have to be cold while loading and putzing around and while cleaning up after a trip, right?

If I have another trip the following week or so, I leave it on.

Also, I leave my A/C on, set at 85 - 90* all summer. It keeps humidity down and I figure it's better for the interior materials not to be 110* all the time....especially the foam backing on the vinyl ceiling.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I don't normally leave mine on between trips. Get home, turn it off, clean it out and leave door cracked to air it out. Couple of days before the next outing fire it up and get it cooled down, put in pre cooled items, turn gas on and hit the road. It sucks too much power to leave on all the time at home. I have a small dorm sized fridge in the garage for refreshments.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I don't normally leave mine on between trips. Get home, turn it off, clean it out and leave door cracked to air it out. Couple of days before the next outing fire it up and get it cooled down, put in pre cooled items, turn gas on and hit the road. It sucks too much power to leave on all the time at home. I have a small dorm sized fridge in the garage for refreshments.
Yeah, but my garage is on the other end of the house.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi-We traveled/camped with ours 6/9 months this year and do not leave it on between trips.
No problem chilling for next trip as I place a newly filled ice cube tray into the freezer about 24 hrs. prior to filling the frig. When the ice cube tray is frozen, I know it's ready.

So far we are really pleased with the little Dometic unit!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
My inputs: There's no data to show that running or not running prolongs the life of a propane refer. If it is level, running the refer won't hasten its failure.
Propane refers cool better on propane.
Running a propane refer on electricity costs about 3X more than a large 110VAC refer.
Propane operation may cost less than using electricity. I use electricity when a CG absorbs the costs.
Only power on a propane refer when its level.
If your propane refer is normally off & you are preping to depart, try using propane for the initial cooling. I find mine to cool much quicker using propane.
My propane refer can run more than 2 weeks on one 30 lb. bottle.
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We full-time in our 25 foot mainly dry camp. 4 years and counting we use a 30 lb tank on avg a month hot water cooking and refrigerator. Let it run average total utilities cost $340 a year

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
When our AS is not in use, our fridge is always off and the doors are propped open to prevent them from swinging closed (Mildew forms inside an unused fridge when the doors are closed). I close the doors and turn the fridge on the day before I load it for a trip. That ensures it's good to go.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The RM 2807 in my Classic has literally been on since 1991. It has only been powered down for defrosting, cleaning, and battery changes. I for one am a happy camper with my fridge!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote