Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Adding a fridge vent

I'm adding a chimney for the fridge vent on the Ambassador.

I purchased a modern vent collar and cover. In order to center it properly above the fridge, the hole I make for it will have to span a rib.

I noticed the factory service door for the fridge was also put in with a rib running into it by 1/3rd of the way.

I don't imagine it being a problem, I'll just notch the collar around the rib when I cut my opening around the rib.

Anyone else run into this before?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I'm adding a chimney for the fridge vent on the Ambassador.

I purchased a modern vent collar and cover. In order to center it properly above the fridge, the hole I make for it will have to span a rib.

I noticed the factory service door for the fridge was also put in with a rib running into it by 1/3rd of the way.

I don't imagine it being a problem, I'll just notch the collar around the rib when I cut my opening around the rib.

Anyone else run into this before?
To restore the support, you should add a "horizontal stringer" at the top and bottom of the door frame, that connects to both main bows, and the bow that you cut. Rivet the stringers to all three main bows, and to the inside metal as well as the outside metal. Rivet as much as you can, to the stringers, the access door frame.

You now have created a "box" type support, that is stronger than the original design.

If you do not add the stringers, in time, the side wall at the access door will start bulging.

Remember, the shell does twist and tweek. Without proper support, it will do that one time too many, and then stay that way. That becomes bad news.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Your depth of detail addressing Tim's question is just too cool, Andy.

Thanks.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but it is also a fridge vent question. Why does Airstream mount a fridge vent duct to the interior skin. Is there any good reason not to seal the cavity between the interior and exterior skins and use that sealed up space for the fridge vent.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but it is also a fridge vent question. Why does Airstream mount a fridge vent duct to the interior skin. Is there any good reason not to seal the cavity between the interior and exterior skins and use that sealed up space for the fridge vent.
There's not enough volume of air between the skins to act as an effective fridge vent. The cooling action of the coils is by convection, so adequate airflow is key.
Also, the sun's heat on the outer skin might not be a good idea to be right next to the fridge coils, without insulation.
I had the same thoughts when I built my trailer, but dismissed the idea for the above reasons.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I went hafsies with my refrig vent. I recessed it into the wall, but also built it out by about 3".

That gives you a full 4.75" × 22" channel for adequate airflow. Heating of the outside skin as long as it is above the condenser is not a problem.

The advantages, in my opinion, are a thinner and more attractive scoop, and you gain 2" of aisle space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigvent 002.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	32957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Refvent 001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	32958  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I went hafsies with my refrig vent. I recessed it into the wall, but also built it out by about 3".

That gives you a full 4.75" × 22" channel for adequate airflow. Heating of the outside skin as long as it is above the condenser is not a problem.

The advantages, in my opinion, are a thinner and more attractive scoop, and you gain 2" of aisle space.
Nicely done Mark. Wish I had thought of it.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I guess I'm going to have to start a new thread, how to make a chimney :-)

Still waiting for my pictures Don... lol

I've about decided to make it out of wood anyway. I'm not that great a woodworker and even a worse metal worker!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Still waiting for my pictures Don... lol
Gee, I sent them to you last friday at your VAP address, and they didn't bounce. I just sent them again. Four pics. Let me know.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks everyone I knew there had to be a reason other then ease of manufacturing and cost. I believe I will go the "halvies" route also.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Gee, I sent them to you last friday at your VAP address, and they didn't bounce. I just sent them again. Four pics. Let me know.
Oops! My bad. All my VAP mail runs through googles gmail and they thought you were spam .

I got it now.

Sorry for the goof up!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Are you telling me that everything gmail sees that isn't a gmail address is spam?

I'd get rid of it if I were you. What good is an email server that sends everything to the junk folder?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Not at all.

In the few months I've been using it, yours is only the second email that I expected that went in the spam folder.

-Tim

Quote:
Are you telling me that everything gmail sees that isn't a gmail address is spam?

I'd get rid of it if I were you. What good is an email server that sends everything to the junk folder?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm curious what filter they used when they decided my message was spam.
Do you think it was the number of attachments?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hijack?

Quote:
I'm curious what filter they used when they decided my message was spam.
My first thought was the server from which the email originated. I have multiple email accounts & have noticed each mail server appears to follow different rules in spam determination. Some email servers appear to blocked across the board.

My primary email account, which, BTW has never refused email from Minnesota , only selectively lets me know that Vintage Trailer Supply has something new to offer.

We may never know why Tim did not get the first email.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
evil network administrator hat /on...

Spam filters use a number of rules to determine a message's status. The one we use has about 20,000 rules against which to check. rule-hits are assigned a number of "points"; if a message has multiple rule-hits, the points are added up to a total score; if the score exceeds a certain value, it is considered spam, and thrown in the junk pile.
typically, no single attribute will automatically cause a single message to be flagged as "spam".
the attributes could be a particular server address or domain, or the contents of the various fields in the message header, or the way the sending server communicated its message...all kinds of stuff. They all do things a little bit differently, with some filters being more aggressive than others. only way to tell exactly why a particular message was blocked is to see a log file (if one exists) that explains what the filter "saw".
our filter keeps everything it blocks for a period of time, to allow users to manually confirm their validity. There will never be a "perfect" mail filter...there's always going to be stuff caught in error, and junk allowed through, because it is a cat-n-mouse game that the spammers and filterers play with each other, each always trying to out do the other.

ena hat /off

If you wanna play, you can send me the email, and I can give you a detailed list of its spam charactaristics, according to our filter.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote