Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama

Originally Posted by markdoane
I'm curious what filter they used when they decided my message was spam.
My first thought was the server from which the email originated. I have multiple email accounts & have noticed each mail server appears to follow different rules in spam determination. Some email servers appear to blocked across the board.

My primary email account, which, BTW has never refused email from Minnesota , only selectively lets me know that Vintage Trailer Supply has something new to offer.

We may never know why Tim did not get the first email.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #16

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
evil network administrator hat /on...

Spam filters use a number of rules to determine a message's status. The one we use has about 20,000 rules against which to check. rule-hits are assigned a number of "points"; if a message has multiple rule-hits, the points are added up to a total score; if the score exceeds a certain value, it is considered spam, and thrown in the junk pile.
typically, no single attribute will automatically cause a single message to be flagged as "spam".
the attributes could be a particular server address or domain, or the contents of the various fields in the message header, or the way the sending server communicated its message...all kinds of stuff. They all do things a little bit differently, with some filters being more aggressive than others. only way to tell exactly why a particular message was blocked is to see a log file (if one exists) that explains what the filter "saw".
our filter keeps everything it blocks for a period of time, to allow users to manually confirm their validity. There will never be a "perfect" mail filter...there's always going to be stuff caught in error, and junk allowed through, because it is a cat-n-mouse game that the spammers and filterers play with each other, each always trying to out do the other.

ena hat /off

If you wanna play, you can send me the email, and I can give you a detailed list of its spam charactaristics, according to our filter.

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote