Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Chaska , Minnesota
'73 In'tl Dometic Fridge is HOT inside

Greetings,

We crossed our fingers and tried the fridge the other day...I put a couple of beers in to "see if the mountains turn blue." I waited 8hrs or so and then checked. The fridge was HOT! I didn't notice the dreaded ammonia smell I've been reading about and heard the coolant boiling in the back. Nonetheless, the fridge was hot. The mountains weren't blue!

I cleaned off the fridge vent on the roof (inactive bee hive) and tried again today. No dice, still not inside, though the freezer may have felt like it was cooling down...I had only waited about 2 hours before checking.

Here are my questions:

Anything else I can try before removing the fridge?

How do I remove the fridge?

If I need to, how hard is it to replace the cooling unit on the back? I don't want to get a new fridge as it fits great where it is?

Thanks for your help!
Margesbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
I'm having the same problem. The RM-66 from my Arogsy isn't cooling down on electric power. I don't have the LP hooked up so I can't try that, but the heating element is active cause everything in the back gets hot, almost uncomfortable to touch.

I'm in the process of demo'ing the interior and I already have the refrigerator out of the trailer. I've flipped it upside down, shaken it about and done the hokey pokey with it and still no cooling. I can hear boiling sounds and it seems to be more than what it was before trying to give it shaken baby syndrome.

Timeline wise, I've had the unit plugged in for about 72 hours. No ammonia smells but I have it plugged in outside so if there is a pin hole leak I guess I wouldn't be able to smell it.
Disable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you say you tried the fridge did you use propane?
Is the floor of the freezer getting cold?
Can you hear the burner change tone when you adjust the thermostat? When on propane.
Have you checked the gas pressure at the refer? It should be 11" of water column.
Is the flame color blue?
Have you tried it on electric?
For the refer sitting outside. Is it in the sun?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
The refrigerator is sitting in the shade not in direct sun.

I have the thermostat set to 4 per the instructions and it's switched to electric. I'm thinking if I want to run it on gas I'll need to fix the piezo igniter because the knob pulls straight out.

Day 5 and still not cooled. The freezer doesn't feel cold either.
Disable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You must have a regulator in order to run the refer on gas. You CAN NOT connected it directly to a propane cylinder.
Since it is out of the coach you can light it easily with a BBQ. Lighter.
It would be easy to do some maintenance work while it is out.
Perhaps the heating element is shot. Reason for it not cooling on electric.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote