Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado
'67 Safari Dometic Fridge

Does anyone know which refrigerator will work as a replacement for the Dometic in a 67 Safari? I live on the other side of time and every place I call gives me a different model. I made a 400 mile trip to Colorado Springs because they assured me they had one that would fit... they lied and thought I would let them cut up the interior and put in a larger one.... wrong....

It is a gas/electric.. the gas worked for a while and the electric has not worked since I bought it.

Thanks for any help.

Pennierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
1966 22' Safari
north stonington , Connecticut
Pennierich, Before laying out the cash for a replacement, its probably worthwhile trying to rehab the original. The gas burner often clogs and is easily cleaned, as is the chimney. The electric element is available at and is replaceable with a little effort. Some people report success with "burping" the refrigerator, turning the unit upside down for a while, then righting it, waiting a bit, then firing it up. PM me for further info. mike

dibAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
If you can't get the old one going and if you can still get them a Dometic rm2510 is a very close fit. I put one in the Safari about four years ago. Good luck.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Don't throw out the fridge. The gas burner will work if you take the burner out and clean the oriface. It gets pluged with fine rust particals that fall down the burner tube. You should clean the tube with something like a shotgun cleaner brush.
The electric element burns a wire off. I brazed the wire back on and it worked for me.
Doug & Terry
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
56 Flying Cloud
68 Tradewind
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
1967 22' Safari
Monte Vista , Colorado

Thanks for the help. I will give those things a try and let you know if they work. Richard
Pennierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
After our original fridge died, we looked and looked for one that would fit in our 67. The problem is that most more recent ones are either very small or too large. Finally, we did locate one model of the Dometic that was only somewhat smaller than the original. It's the RM 7401L (The "L" stands for left.) It's a European model, so not available at the local RV outfit and has to be ordered.

Not that we're that impressed with the new fridge, however. I really wish we still had the old one.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote