Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
'66 Tradewind refrigerator problem

Last summer the fridge in my 66 tradewind quit working. I have had the trailer for 2 years and have only used it on electric. (it was keeping things very cold up to the point of quitting) Is it worth checking it out on LP or any other suggestions for repair? Can original replacements be found? I could get by on just an electric fridge, so if unable to get this one fixed or replaced, would it be ok to put in an electric only? Thank you, Kelly
pearl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If you don`t smell ammonia,it could be something simple,it has a heat element in it that is not hard to change. Access the back and see if the heat chimney is getting hot,if not,try it on gas,if it works there than it may just be the element. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Nice '66 Tradewinds! There are RV refrigerator repair shops that work on vintage units. You would have to search in your area. I also would try the LP. You can get a new replacement Dometic either LP/110v or LP/110v/12v that should fit and you could get a new wood panel for it to match your interior. Also, you can order an owners manual from Airstream (www.airstream.com) for your '66 Tradewinds, but the only touble shooting section about the refrigerator is for the LP gas operation.
Good luck
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
I forgot to ask earlier, what is the brand name (Dometic?) and model number of your refrigerator? There may be a service manual available for it online in a PDF file.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have a '74 Argosy and found parts for my refer at. www.rvmobile.com . The heating element is in the back just above the burner. Look for 2 wires with ceramic beads covering them. The element is located in a pipe. It should just slide out of the pipe. Make sure you unplug the refer before working on it.
Good Luck!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
Thank you, I will try to get the model number soon, I am sure it is a
Dometic, and I have the owners manual on my trailer, so I will look some more things up when I get time. I appreciate all the suggestions
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl66 View Post
Thank you, I will try to get the model number soon, I am sure it is a
Dometic, and I have the owners manual on my trailer, so I will look some more things up when I get time. I appreciate all the suggestions
It's probably a Dometic RM-52.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
oberlin , Kansas
dometic fridge MA52

Here is what I found out after having my refridge in 66 Tradewind checked out. The unit did not work on electric or propane so heating element is out. They also heard some "gurgling noise" suggesting an ammonia problem (did not smell ammonia). The model # on the unit is "MA 52". I was thinking that I read somewhere of a place you could ship the unit to and have it checked out/repaired if possible. Or would it be better to just start with a new one that fits in the space as well as possible. Thank you, Kelly