Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
'64 Bambi II Refrigerator- Is it really dead?

After I removed the fridge from the Bambi II, I took it into the HVAC/R class instructor at the technology high school where I am a school counselor. Here is what he had to say:

"I looked at the fridge weeks ago, I kept forgetting to get in touch with you. When plugged in for use with electric the fridge would not cool. When fired with propane gas, the unit would fire and stay lit but would not cool,(note, it needs a new spark flint to fire unit if you're keeping it, easy fix). Since the fridge would not cool with either electric or gas, it probably is a refrigerant problem, in my opinion the unit is dead."

So...If it is dead, I can live with that. It is from 1964 for goodness sake! I am wondering, though, if I took it to the local Amish (Lancaster, PA) propane appliance shops who offer repair work if they could get this unit working for me? Is it worth it? I would like to try to possibly get new "guts" in the old package to keep the vintage look.

Any thoughts or ideas out there? I am contemplating taking it to one of the local shops to get their thoughts and opinions and a possible quote eventually anyway. If you don't know, the Amish do not use electric and therefore all of their appliances are propane operated. I would think they could be creative in a repair process.

Thanks! Ben

PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Ben if it doesn't cool on either electric or propane most likely the cooling unit has failed. There are companies that can rebuild the cooling units. Contact a local RV shop and find out the closest one to you. The process is somewhat like recoreing a radiator and new refrigerant is installed. The fridge must be disassembled and the cooling unit removed to be sent out for rebuilding. I know there are companies in Elkhart Indiana that do this type of repair.
I'm not sure about using new "guts" in the old package as getting one that would fit would be difficult.

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Lots of good info at
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Hi Ben,

Here's a link to one in Elkhart, Indiana. I know it's far from you, but maybe you can get some ideas from it:

Fix Your Fridge - National RV Refrigeration

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote