Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
22 Sport Dometic Refrigerator Question

Seems like my refrigerator isn't working correctly. It's cooling but doesn't seem to be as efficient. Meaning it's maintaining temps in the mid 40's to 50's. Not keeping things frozen in the freezer either. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm running propane, battery, or shore. I'm level and fuse looks to be fine. I'm not hearing my fans kick in either which I think is odd. I'm on a week long trip. Any quick fix or McGyver type trick would be greatly appreciated.
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
The exhaust fan on our coach is manual and is controlled by a switch on the right side of the cabinet, near the outside shell of the TT.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
I checked for a manual fan switch in that location but I don't seem to have one. Thanks for the response though.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't think the 22' has a fan switch. I am pretty sure there is a fan, out behind the plastic grills, and should run when the coils get warm. Remove the lower grill, and look up toward the other grill behind the fridge.
The thermostat on that fridge is a little confusing, it is very possible you somehow ended up turning the temp up instead of down at some point.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
What year is your Sport?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
22 Sport Dometic Refrigerator Question

2013 Sport.
Looks like I have a Dometic RM 8505.
I definitely see fans back there. But the manual says they are controlled by the thermostat and automatic.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Adding Fridge Fans

Here is a link for adding additional fans.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
I had the same thing happen on my Alaska trip this summer. Are you in a hot place with the fridge vents on the sunny side? The heat can overwhelm the ability of the fridge to stay cool, especially if using propane. Either way, try turning off the fridge for a couple minutes to reset the circuit board (push and hold the mode select switch until all power is off). Then turn back on. That worked for me. Good luck.
Tsmith.wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
Make sure your converter is putting out 12volts. My Dometic fridge will not work if the voltage to the control board is low, even if you are running the fridge on 110v.
awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Thanks for everyone's input.

How much should I be hearing my outside fans 'kick in'? Seems like in 80-90 degree weather with the sun on that side of the trailer they are not activating when I think they should be.

Also I noticed an AC outlet in there. Anyone find a good fan to plug in there that fits that space well?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473084226.835992.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	270864

I looked inside the upper compartment of my fridge and saw that maybe the thermal switch for the fan might be 'burnt'. Looks like it might be easy to replace but wanted to get people's input.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

When you look inside the fridge, under the freezer, on the cooling fins there should be a Thermistor plastic device clipped on to one of the fins. This should be on the right fin, and should be slid up to the top of its range. There may be a label on the right inside of the fridge to confirm this.

Not sure if you pre-chilled you fridge before your trip, but that is a must. Also do not add warm grocery items into the fridge, it is not really designed to handle that. A separate cooler in the tow vehicle works to pre-chill things.

You can buy some ice to put in the fridge temporarily to cool it.

What is the air temp where you are, and are you in direct sunlight? If your exhaust fan is not working right, that would compromise things. [edit -- sorry just saw your sun location -- yes fan should be going on, and it should be noticeably loud if it is OEM. Did a prior owner put in quieter fans maybe?]

Also there may be an inline 12-volt fuse in its own holder near the fan (ours is behind our switch by the entry door). If the glass fuse is blown, that is a simple fix. Ours is only 1 amp 12v DC as I recall, but yours may be different.

Here are some older threads when you have time to read them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...or-125854.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ol-138360.html

Also if you go "up" to this sub-forum's list of threads, you can peruse the many pages for relevant posts:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425/

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Yes your photo shows a suspect switch IMO. Do you have a voltage tester meter with you? They are cheap in auto parts stores, and will help in the diagnosis of many 12-volt problems.

And yes, you should hear the fans kick in especially if you are outside looking in.

Not sure how detailed your owners manual is, but it worth a peek there too, especially if they show the Thermistor adjusting in a photo or illustration.

Sorry for the long PS, but is everything else in the trailer working? Lights, water heater, gas cook top burners etc.? What is your battery voltage readout on the monitoring panel?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473088840.733300.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	270873

Re the plastic fin...mine looks to be fixed on the left side of the fridge looking in. It doesn't seem like it can be slide up because it is contoured/angled at its bottom edge and even if I unclip it, the wires don't seem to have much travel but I didn't force it.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.

I normally do pre cool the fridge and its contents.

We just took a week long trip where the temps ranged from 35-90 degrees.

I got suspicious that the fridge wasn't working well because I don't think I ever heard the fans kick in.

Great suggestion to test the fan sensor using a 12V tester. Can you tell a novice how to do so? Just clip the black probes and test across?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473089527.739169.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	270874

Doesn't seem like my model has a fuse. Looked everywhere.