Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Smile 1995 Excella Dometic...again

Earlier this season, we had difficulty with our refrig...would only gurgle...no cold. Then a Forum guru suggested we "level" the trailer and try again which worked beautifully. In the meantime, we continued to ready L3 for her maiden voyage next week. Yesterday, the refrigerator only gurgled. again. Today, she's leveled in our driveway, and the refrig only heats. Warm air in the refrigerator does not conjure up good vibes for us. Hubby has methodically studied the AS manual ad nauseum; any and ALL assistance will be appreciated.

Sign us,
Still hopeful
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I hate to say it, but most likely your refrigerator is toast. The "gurgling" and so on are somewhat tell tale. It should not gurgle.

I assume you have had it running long enough, remember an RV refrigerator takes 4 to 6 hours to begin to get cold, and 24 hours to be really ready for use.

Your options, assuming the unit is in fact not working on either electricity or propane is either replacement of the entire refrigerator ($1300 + installation costs) or having someone replace the cooling parts (probably $600 plus labor). Many have had good luck with cooling parts replacement, some have not. The box itself is now 18 years old, how good it looks etc may be part of your decision.

There is an Amish outfit in Indiana which would be close enough for you to have them do the repair work, and they have a good reputation. Someone else will chime in here with their location and phone number.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could try a hail Mary and turn it upside down. This called burping. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
1995 Excella refrig....again...

Thanks you two for your valuable suggestions and diagnosis. @$1300+, we may be using an ice chest or two for this season. We'll keep you posted. Do appreciate the input.

Hope we see you down the road...
Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
On my 1990 Excella the refer started to gurgle and then I could smell ammonia. Purchased a replacement cooling unit from Pines RV Refrigeration for around $300-$350 (there was a special on the unit I needed) I believe they are around $550. The install was simple and requires few tools. That was in April,2009 and the refer cools better than new to this day.
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
1995 Excella refrig....again...

"....gurgled and then I smelled ammonia." We have not had a hint of ammonia, and we would very much like to spend less than $500! Because the alternative makes us ill quite frankly.

Thanks for your reply and personal story; it helps to know what others have experienced and how they faired. We'll keep our fingers crossed.